Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1544 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto

Layover/transfer in Vienna/Munich

Here's my itinerary:

Departure:
Toronto - Pearson Int'l -> Vienna International (Operated by Air Canada)
Vienna International -> Ukraine (Operated by Austrian Airlines)

Return:
Ukraine -> Munich - Franz Josef Strauss (MUC) (Operated by Lufthansa Cityline)
Munich - Franz Josef Strauss (MUC) -> Toronto - Pearson Int'l (Operated by Lufthansa)

Wondering if anyone can provide some insight on how the transfer in Vienna and Munich works. Do I need to collect baggage and check in again for the connecting flight, or is it handled by the airline and I just wait in the transfer zone ? Do I need to transfer between terminals ? Do I need to go through passport control ? This is very important because it will determine whether I'll need a transfer visa or not.

For the departing flight, are Air Canada and Austrian Airlines in the same alliance ? If there is an issue (ex. delay), will they re-book me for the next flight, or I'm on my own ?

Lastly, any cons by booking with Expedia ? Their prices are cheaper compared to booking directly with airline.

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2050 posts
551 upvotes
Woodbridge
You don't need to collect baggage, but check through the website what terminals do your flights arrive and leave.
I've transferred in both airports, and in Vienna I did not need to have my passport checked, but in Munich yes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1544 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
durrsak wrote: You don't need to collect baggage, but check through the website what terminals do your flights arrive and leave.
I've transferred in both airports, and in Vienna I did not need to have my passport checked, but in Munich yes.
Were you within the transfer zone all the time or needed to get out and back in ?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1289 posts
750 upvotes
Ottawa
I'll let others answer on the transfer zone since I can't remember. Both are smooth airports to connect in.

However, to your 2nd questio, Austrian, Air Canada, and Lufthansa are all in the Star Alliance.
Definitely if you are travelling on the same ticket, and probably also if different tickets but you phone in to "link the PNRs", they will take care of you if there is a misconnect.

It is rare for 3rd party OTAs like Expedia to offer cheaper tickets than the airlines direct. But it is not unheard of, especially when multiple airlines are involved. It is also possible that the airlines can issue the ticket if you phone in, merely their on-line system cannot price it. (However, you may be in for long hold times).

As a general principle, 3rd party OTAs may issue tickets just fine or may do a deliberate or accidental bait'n'switch (unlikely for Expedia) - you should check your locator works with each airline after ticket issuance, and a "oops your ticket has gotten more expensive" message would be a red flag. However, an OTA can add significant hassle or worse refund/rebooking conditions in case you voluntarily need to make changes. Only you can judge if the savings are worth it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1544 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
houska wrote: I'll let others answer on the transfer zone since I can't remember. Both are smooth airports to connect in.

However, to your 2nd questio, Austrian, Air Canada, and Lufthansa are all in the Star Alliance.
Definitely if you are travelling on the same ticket, and probably also if different tickets but you phone in to "link the PNRs", they will take care of you if there is a misconnect.

It is rare for 3rd party OTAs like Expedia to offer cheaper tickets than the airlines direct. But it is not unheard of, especially when multiple airlines are involved. It is also possible that the airlines can issue the ticket if you phone in, merely their on-line system cannot price it. (However, you may be in for long hold times).

As a general principle, 3rd party OTAs may issue tickets just fine or may do a deliberate or accidental bait'n'switch (unlikely for Expedia) - you should check your locator works with each airline after ticket issuance, and a "oops your ticket has gotten more expensive" message would be a red flag. However, an OTA can add significant hassle or worse refund/rebooking conditions in case you voluntarily need to make changes. Only you can judge if the savings are worth it.
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure why the difference, see below:
Images
  • TUntitled.png
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1289 posts
750 upvotes
Ottawa
krypton wrote: Thanks for the feedback. Not sure why the difference, see below: [image]
I would not trust fare comparisons from a meta-search like that. Try what you can get on the Air Canada, Lufthansa, and Austrian *on their websites*. Try what ITA Matrix will offer to you as a constructed fare (with information about the fare basis). You also have no idea as to whether you're comparing apples and oranges, e.g. fare types, frequent flyer benefits, whether luggage and seat selection is included (and whether you care) etc.

One you have the lowest fare, it's quite possible the airlines can issue it (especially if you have the codes from ITA Matrix) if you phone in, regardless of whether their websites volunteer it up. Of course, may or may not be worth your while to sit on the phone to figure it out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5663 posts
2496 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Look at the fare rules if going the Expedia route (I would not use Flight Network). There may be a difference between the published airline fare and the OTA fare.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Dec 31, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
I have booked many times with Expedia, Kayak, orbitz -no problem. But be careful with Flight hub and some other vendors.