Hot Deals

[LCBO] Air Miles cash miles now good towards LCBO eVouchers (ON)

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 3:27 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
3389 posts
3134 upvotes
Perfect time to pick up on drinking again, AA is for the weak
Please DON'T PM me for SPC codes, kindly ask for them in the Samsung thread's (HOT DEALS) section and I will respond with one.
Dec 25, 2007
843 posts
177 upvotes
can you use cash miles at grocery stores/rexall to pay for gift cards? ie buy a mcdonalds gift card?
Jan 18, 2011
328 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
LoANeal wrote:
May 16th, 2019 8:16 am
Man I'm max sad, turns out all my Airmiles are normal airmiles. I could have had $120 worth of scotch if it was the other way around....
I believe you can simply switch your preference to have your dream miles convert to cash miles
Jan 18, 2011
328 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Also, thanks op, I've been sitting on about $30 worth of boozemiles and just checked my airmiles emails and they said that they were going to shut down my entire account by end of June if I didn't redeem anything or collect another mile. So you are umm like my booze guardian or something. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1531 posts
855 upvotes
SumoMan wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:04 am
I believe you can simply switch your preference to have your dream miles convert to cash miles
Ya I can switch my preference, but I cannot convert my (broken) dream miles to cash miles. So sad days exist all around...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
3183 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
SumoMan wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:04 am
Not true. There is no conversion of existing miles when you switch.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6963 posts
3071 upvotes
ON
chenj16 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:07 am
I thought you can redeem cash miles at any airmiles participating merchant / partner already?? No?
Noooo....not all.
Sep 21, 2008
415 posts
327 upvotes
Not really on topic, but I feel as though Dream Miles often get a bad rap when compared with Cash Miles.

Using my free companion flight bonus from Amex (via the Air Miles Reserve Card...also available with the BMO Air Miles World Elite), I just redeemed 5,000 miles for 2 round-trip flights from Sudbury to Halifax in June.

The flight times are great and the taxes are also included (I paid an extra ~2500 miles for the taxes).

Those miles are worth ~ $526 in cash. The flights would have cost about twice that.

Obviously not everybody flies, but for those who do, there are effective ways to make your Dream Miles far more valuable than Cash Miles.
Last edited by buriboi on May 16th, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2174 posts
1043 upvotes
Kitchener
Arrgh wrote:
May 16th, 2019 12:00 am
Of course you can get liquor elsewhere. In On, many supermarkets now sell liquor. There are also many wine retailers with their own stores (e.g. Magnotta with at least 7 stores), and wine rack stores (they're all over).
By liquor I think they meant hard liquor, not wine or wine based, or beer or beer based". As far as I know, you can't get "liquor" anywhere other than the LCBO in Ontario with very few exceptions. One exception is a country store on Highway 8 between Cambridge and Hamilton, they have beer, wine and hard liquor. Not worth the drive for most folks.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6963 posts
3071 upvotes
ON
buriboi wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:27 am
Not really on topic, but I feel as though Dream Miles often get a bad rap when compared with Cash Miles.

Using my free companion flight bonus from Amex (via the Air Miles Reserve Card...also available with the BMO Air Miles World Elite), I just redeemed 5,000 miles for 2 round-trip flights from Sudbury to Halifax in June.

The flight times are great and the taxes are also included (I paid an extra ~2500 miles for the taxes).

Those miles are worth ~ $526 in cash. The flights would have cost about twice that.

Obviously not everybody flies, but for those who do, there are effective ways to make your Dream Miles far more valuable than Cash Miles.
Valuing dream miles while taking advantage of the one time companion deal with CC approval(not everyone would qualify or wants that BMO Cc)should be compared to the value of cash miles during the latest spend 95 AM get 50AM bonus + 50 AM megamiles offer. I effectively got 100 Airmiles for spending 95 Airmiles at Metro.
You can't beat that even if you had a stick...

Btw 5000 for 2 flights+2500tax= 7500am≠526CAD not sure how you're calculating cash value here unless
Last edited by dilligafeh on May 16th, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6963 posts
3071 upvotes
ON
jeff1970 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 12:01 pm
By liquor I think they meant hard liquor, not wine or wine based, or beer or beer based". As far as I know, you can't get "liquor" anywhere other than the LCBO in Ontario with very few exceptions. One exception is a country store on Highway 8 between Cambridge and Hamilton, they have beer, wine and hard liquor. Not worth the drive for most folks.
Those stores are able to sell liquor because there isn't an LCBO store within "reasonable" distance so they basically act as an LCBO franchise. Isn't it great to be treated like children who cannot be trusted and require supervision of our government here in the great Onterrible ?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2174 posts
1043 upvotes
Kitchener
dilligafeh wrote:
May 16th, 2019 12:28 pm
Those stores are able to sell liquor because there isn't an LCBO store within "reasonable" distance so they basically act as an LCBO franchise. Isn't it great to be treated like children who cannot be trusted and require supervision of our government here in the great Onterrible ?
If Ford gets his way, that will change. I'm really not sure what to think about that....though it would be nice being able to purchase an inexpensive drink from a store if I work late, if I have nothing I want at home.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Sep 21, 2008
415 posts
327 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
May 16th, 2019 12:22 pm

Valuing dream miles while taking advantage of the one time companion deal with CC approval(not everyone would qualify or wants that BMO Cc)should be compared to the value of cash miles during the latest spend 95 AM get 50AM bonus + 50 AM megamiles offer. I effectively got 100 Airmiles for spending 95 Airmiles at Metro.
You can't beat that even if you had a stick...

Btw 5000 for 2 flights+2500tax= 7500am≠526CAD not sure how you're calculating cash value here unless

The 5,000 *includes* the 2500 a.m. for taxes. The flights were 2500.

When I tried to book commercially with those great flight times/dates, the cheapest I could find was $1,200 total. Instead, I used 5000 air miles. That means a value of 2.4:1 as reward miles.

The $526 is 5,000 cash miles at 95 a.m. = $10.

And yes, I also take advantage of all the mega miles offers as well as bonuses... but it's not like you can do that over and over again to use up every single mile you have.

I'm just saying you *can* find great value in rewards miles under the right circumstances ;)
[OP]
Jul 28, 2013
37 posts
25 upvotes
Mississauga
SumoMan wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:05 am
Also, thanks op, I've been sitting on about $30 worth of boozemiles and just checked my airmiles emails and they said that they were going to shut down my entire account by end of June if I didn't redeem anything or collect another mile. So you are umm like my booze guardian or something. Thanks.
You are very welcome. Glad my post helped. I was very excited when I got that email. I've been participating in every megamiles event and had collected a lot of cash miles just sitting in my account. The only way to spend them "wisely" was to use them for gas at Shell. Otherwise, one could waste them at overpriced grocery stores and even more overpriced pharmacies. Now thanks to the LCBO evoucher option, I guess many airmiles collectors won't remember much from the upcoming long weekend :)