• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2019 12:37 am
[OP]
May 6, 2009
247 posts
107 upvotes
Georgetown

[LCBO] Barley Days Loon Lager (355 mL can) - $1.10

I noticed last long weekend that Barley Days Loon Lager was on for a buck, but was not listed as "on sale". It is still available for $1.10 including deposit, must be new regular price.
77 replies
Jul 24, 2008
851 posts
415 upvotes
Unfortunately, unlike the No Name beer, they don't sell Loon Lager online. =/
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1160 posts
381 upvotes
Vaughan
Thanks OP! Just scored 24 Loon Lager at the Weston / 7 LCBO in Vaughan. They had a couple of cases still on display. This beer is a great selection for me as it's made in Ontario, is selling for $1 a can (+ $0.10 deposit), and the craft brewery that makes it (Barley Days Brewing from Picton, Ontario) has the decency to tell you what the ingredients are: water, barley malt, hops, yeast. That's awesome as many of the big league US and Canadian brewers stick corn in their beer (unadvertised) which sullies the taste. I find this beer a bit sour (maybe they're reducing hops to reduce cost?) but is still well enjoyed cold. You can always throw in a wedge of lemon or lime (ala Corona) to give it some summer time citrus satisfaction. The can itself has a cheap feel to it (plastic label that makes odd crunchy sounds when squished) but I pour mine into a glass. The alcohol is 4.5% which well suits me as I'm always happy to find a beer I enjoy drinking that has less alcohol in it (Guinness only has 4.2% alcohol). Go get some!

Mic
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2217 posts
1845 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I had it was $1.10 in store lcbo when I bought it few days ago... it’s alright better than Cool beer... keep in mind smaller size though Coca Cola standard can
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
1386 posts
668 upvotes
Vancouver
scored few dozen packs
D runk all day long
Last edited by danned on Jul 11th, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1616 posts
963 upvotes
Got a 24 of this for the cottage this summer. I'm not a super huge fan of Lagers (more of an Ale person) but still pretty decent on a hot day on the dock
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Nov 26, 2003
511 posts
321 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for posting this OP. This is actually a very good beer.
Sep 14, 2012
167 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Boomer23 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 7:59 pm
Worth the $1.10? :)
It's a dollar after deposit, so kind of hard to say "not worth it".
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1499 posts
1011 upvotes
Waterloo
mobile_mic wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 4:12 pm
Thanks OP! Just scored 24 Loon Lager at the Weston / 7 LCBO in Vaughan. They had a couple of cases still on display. This beer is a great selection for me as it's made in Ontario, is selling for $1 a can (+ $0.10 deposit), and the craft brewery that makes it (Barley Days Brewing from Picton, Ontario) has the decency to tell you what the ingredients are: water, barley malt, hops, yeast. That's awesome as many of the big league US and Canadian brewers stick corn in their beer (unadvertised) which sullies the taste. I find this beer a bit sour (maybe they're reducing hops to reduce cost?) but is still well enjoyed cold. You can always throw in a wedge of lemon or lime (ala Corona) to give it some summer time citrus satisfaction. The can itself has a cheap feel to it (plastic label that makes odd crunchy sounds when squished) but I pour mine into a glass. The alcohol is 4.5% which well suits me as I'm always happy to find a beer I enjoy drinking that has less alcohol in it (Guinness only has 4.2% alcohol). Go get some!

Mic
How does this compare to no name?
Sep 14, 2012
167 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks to the OP. Just went out and got 48 of them at my local LCBO. They were a little hard to find down at the bottom of a display but there they were. The mythical buck a beer.

Just tried one out and no complaints. I normally buy IPA's and such but they are double the price (or more).

It's fine for a summer cool you off kind of beer
Aug 22, 2009
245 posts
145 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP! Got a buddy to swing by one of the stores that had stock and grab me a case. Definitely a buy at this price!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1160 posts
381 upvotes
Vaughan
Sicklyslick wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 8:37 pm
How does this compare to no name?
Ya know, I never did get to try the No Name product despite 2 trips to the LCBO to try to find it. It gets cleared out quickly by the "value" crowd. I suspect, based on the brewer (No Name is made by Waterloo / Brick Brewing I think) and from my experience with their other value brands (PC, Laker) that Loon Lager would edge it out almost entirely due to the use of cereal grains (barley, rice, corn) other than barley in the brewing process. I'd love to see beer makers having to put their ingredient list on cans / bottles so I can read what I'm drinking. The Germans figured this out in 1516, so we're only behind by 500+ years!

Mic
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9881 posts
2556 upvotes
Can't find it locally. One Lcbo had 1 can.

If I could find 24 I'd be in for sure.
Nov 25, 2015
78 posts
76 upvotes
Arva, ON
The price is even more amazing given that it's a can, which Ontario charges an extra ~10 cent "environmental" tax on versus bottles (funny how soft drink cans are magically less harmful for the environment than beer cans).