Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
LCBO

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye $30.95 ($5 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2018 8:13 pm
Dec 4, 2005
516 posts
702 upvotes
Mississauga

[LCBO] Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye $30.95 ($5 off)

LCBO is having Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye on sale for $30.95, which is $5 off. It was greatly overhyped at some point when Jim Murray named it World Whisky of the Year in 2016. I don't know it Jim was drunk or wanted to have a good laugh, but World Whisky of the Year is was not and most respected reviewers found the award ridiculous. But it is still quite decent for $30.95 in my view.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2864 posts
4103 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, OP. IMO Canadian Club Green is way better but for this price I'll pick up a bottle for ginger ale season. Although my SO thinks I'm weird - she says she grew up on rye & coke. Must be a regional thing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6365 posts
6726 upvotes
Center of Canada
Crown Royal?? No thanks
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7673 posts
10975 upvotes
Scarbs
It's good, but not WOTY good. Gonna grab a bottle - thanks OP!
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Oct 15, 2014
484 posts
1330 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Crown Royal needs to chill out with their overpriced whisky. Also Canadian Club 100% Rye is sooo much better and it's cheaper.
Sep 18, 2005
293 posts
11 upvotes
sajan647 wrote: Crown Royal needs to chill out with their overpriced whisky. Also Canadian Club 100% Rye is sooo much better and it's cheaper.
This price is actually really good value for Northern Harvest. It's not the world's best whisky, but it is very good for the price.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
I like this whisky even though it is overhyped to hell and back.

Thanks OP will be grabbing one to keep on hand.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8469 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
Probably the best whisky in this price range
Jan 24, 2018
127 posts
294 upvotes
A lot of people got into it after hearing about it being whiskey of the year from Jim Murray. The problem is, Crown intended for this to be a limited release. But with the huge hype/press they decided to continue selling it. HOWEVER it is no longer the same whiskey as the original release that Jim Murray reviewed. I have 2 bottles of the very first release at my house right now and I can tell you 100% they are not the same as what you will buy right now. The original is FAAARRRR better. AS it stands currently you're better off buying Canadian Club 100% Rye (green bottle).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
DealCanuck wrote: Probably the best whisky in this price range
I would take Black Bush or Powers Gold Label over this any day. I enjoyed my bottles of CRNHR from that first year's batch but it doesn't shine a candle to either BB or PGL. IMHO, of course.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8469 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
CaptSmethwick wrote: I would take Black Bush or Powers Gold Label over this any day. I enjoyed my bottles of CRNHR from that first year's batch but it doesn't shine a candle to either BB or PGL. IMHO, of course.
They are a little bit more expensive
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2930 posts
621 upvotes
Ajax
This is gonna be the beverage of choice while watching the Leafs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
DealCanuck wrote: They are a little bit more expensive
At regular price, they are ever so slightly more expensive and if you like rye whiskey, you likely will prefer NHR in any case so a few dollars savings is a big bonus.

I prefer my whiskey neat and sip by the dram (okay, maybe more than a dram) so I gravitate toward the smoothness of Irish whiskies when I drink - which hasn't been often in recent years. We each like what we like and nobody's right or wrong - rye, corn, and malt whiskies are quite different from one another and thank heavens for that!
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Coaler wrote: A lot of people got into it after hearing about it being whiskey of the year from Jim Murray. The problem is, Crown intended for this to be a limited release. But with the huge hype/press they decided to continue selling it. HOWEVER it is no longer the same whiskey as the original release that Jim Murray reviewed. I have 2 bottles of the very first release at my house right now and I can tell you 100% they are not the same as what you will buy right now. The original is FAAARRRR better. AS it stands currently you're better off buying Canadian Club 100% Rye (green bottle).
I had a couple bottles when it was first released and I still think Canadian Club 100% rye was better and still is better. In fact, I'll also take Gibsons rare, whisers and Alberta Premium over Northern Harvest.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
People are all crapping on Northern Harvest and saying others are better, which is fine, but Northern has it's own taste that's nice to have to break from others too.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Jan 27, 2013
965 posts
1340 upvotes
Spice box is 25 bucks and is good if you like spiced whiskey, my go to brand has always been wisers
Sep 4, 2013
338 posts
424 upvotes
Edmonton
MakeItCheap wrote: Spice box is 25 bucks and is good if you like spiced whiskey, my go to brand has always been wisers
LoANeal wrote: People are all crapping on Northern Harvest and saying others are better, which is fine, but Northern has it's own taste that's nice to have to break from others too.
Pepsi vs coke. Everyone likes different things and really no one is wrong. I actually like Forty Creek best. But that my taste buds

I often say this to my friends. It’s actually easier in life if you have taste buds that can’t tell cheap from expensive. If you like the cheaper things in life and are happy with it, you are way better off than the guy that wants the next most expensive thing because he has great taste buds. That guy wil never be happy where as, you are always happy

That’s the PSA of the day
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2009
1232 posts
415 upvotes
Burlington
MakeItCheap wrote: Spice box is 25 bucks and is good if you like spiced whiskey, my go to brand has always been wisers
Where is Spicebox $25? LCBO has it for regular price of $28.10.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
549 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I'm surprised so many people don't like it. I enjoy it quite a bit and it's a steal at this price.

The CC Rye has pretty bad reviews all around so I haven't tried it.
Sep 21, 2005
301 posts
34 upvotes
Markham
I rather have Lot 40 or Wiser's over Crown Royal anyday.... That's just my preference... Feel free to chime in on your thoughts.