• May 17th, 2019 3:22 pm
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1465 posts
307 upvotes
Richmond, BC
setlist wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 12:11 pm
A clerk in the only store in Victoria to carry the entire line told me they expect lineups overnight for it...
The one in Richmond, BC that will also carry the complete set will for sure have lineups. I will stop by to check it out even with that being said.

You can check the stock online already and they won't have that many....I see a few stores have a bottle short of a case already (I wonder if this was broken).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8166 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
All the scotches are unique releases and not rebrands. Diageo literally went and bought/allocated barrels and bottled them for a one-off release. I've tasted most of them side by side with core lineup bottles and they are notably different. The Cardu might be the closest but it is still not a rebrand.

But there is still about $10-15 premium lumped in though. The US MSRPs (not secondary market) are closer to what they are worth.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
2685 posts
348 upvotes
belowzeros wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 4:39 pm
All the scotches are unique releases and not rebrands. Diageo literally went and bought/allocated barrels and bottled them for a one-off release. I've tasted most of them side by side with core lineup bottles and they are notably different. The Cardu might be the closest but it is still not a rebrand.

But there is still about $10-15 premium lumped in though. The US MSRPs (not secondary market) are closer to what they are worth.
Which ones are your favorite and most 'worth' it?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8166 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
Hey sure, personal preference counts a little but generalizing I'd feel fine recommending them like this:

Top 3:

-The Lagavulin 9 is better than the 8 from the core line (love the 8 a lot) and rivals the 16. Lag 12 is a whole different thing so I wouldn't lump that in.

-The Clynelish is really interesting and has lots going on plus we don't get a lot in this market from them.

-The Talisker has about as much character as the Lagavulin does.

Runners up:

The Dalwhinnie and Singleton are ok but add just a few drops of water to them to make them come alive. Singleton of Glendullan is one of 3 distillers that make up the brand Singleton.

Oban is pretty good but just above average, it opens up with some water.

I bought the Royal Lochnagar because I'm a collector and we don't get it in this market. They actually don't release a lot globally. I believe most of their whisky is used to make Johnnie Walker at the moment.

Cardhu I would skip unless you love/want the artwork, you could just buy regular Cardhu and save a bit.

Talisker, Oban, Clynelish and Royal Lochnagar will be hard to find at the LCBO. Their release in Ontario was very small compared to the others.

If you are new to scotch the Dalwhinnie is the best pic followed by Singleton and then Cardhu.

Oh, some weird things are going on with these scotches. Lag tastes like Oban might and Oban tastes like Talisker and even Talisker is sort of like Lagavulin.

hope that helps
Feb 27, 2013
215 posts
141 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone find these in Alberta (specifically Calgary)?

Checked Co-op World of Whiskey, they only had 4/8, said sold out of other 4. Kensington Wine Market only has the 4/8 too. Nothing on liquordirect, apparently some are sold our from supplier liquorconnect as well.
~Let your actions reflect your desires
Jan 12, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes
belowzeros - some great posts, but a couple of corrections: House Baratheon is the standard Royal Lochnagar 12 year old (yo), though it is not rarely available in Canada, so it is worthwhile to pick up, both from a rarity point of view plus it tastes damn fine. Oban aka The Night's Watch is Little Bay which is available at the LCBO...but this offering is really cool with the black bottle, the Night's Watch creed on the label & tin and, albeit hard to see, runes across the bottle shoulder.

As we have our own taste preferences, buyers should check out reviews to see the taste profile before pulling trigger. I appreciated your view point as you are appear to be well versed in these brands. I have only had half of them myself so far...looking forward to trying them all. Many of these taste different from the standard offerings, notably Lag, Talisker, Dalwhinnie & Cardhu....but that is part of the enjoyment of single malts. I have to disagree with your viewpoint on Lag 9yo though.... while I agree it is better than the 8yo, it pales by comparison to the almighty 16yo. But that is only my opinion.

As for pricing....buyers cannot compare to the US. Ontario has a much higher taxes than the US, so the pricing does not compare. This isn't unique to scotch..that is (partly) why alcohol is so cheap in the US.

Thank belowzeros for you posts on this topic...think I will have a dram or two tonight...just need to decide which one!
Happy shopping/hunting to all!
Apr 24, 2014
217 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
soooo why arn't people just buying this online and having it delivered? Seems everyone is searching for em..
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8166 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
hey @UlrichVonbek thanks for the notes. I didn't realize Royal Lochnagar was the same bottling since we really don't see it here I didn't have anything to compare. It's got great artwork and I think I have only ever seen Lochnagar once in my travels.

But isn't the GoT Oban the "Reserve" I think that one is different from the core lineup Little Bay? I find it doesn't even taste like Little Bay but the bottle we used for comparison was more than half empty. I agree the packaging is great on the Oban especially if you are a GoT fan.

And yea I'm not saying the Lag 9 is better than the 16 just that it gives it a good run for it's money, especially with a little bit of water.

Personally I want another Talisker and Clynelish (have 2 Lagavulin).
Jan 12, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes
@belowzeros - my understanding is GoT Oban is Little Bay, not a Reserve variant. I have not had the pleasure to try it side by side with the Little Bay...but if you have done so and find the two taste different, then I have to assume you are correct.

Unfortunately I doubt any more cases are coming to the LCBO (hope I am wrong). Clynelish is a treat...I've only seen it once in Canada many many years ago. Talisker is Neist Point in GoT packing and can be found outside of Canada, in case you are looking for a replacement once the GoT bottles are long gone.
May 10, 2006
73 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
I bought some of these but haven't tasted them yet. According to this video though: Whisky.com News: Game of Thrones (GoT) – Whisky is coming the guy says that diageo have said that All the scotches in the series are new and unique to this edition, except for 2, the royal lochnagar and the cardu.

If one would want to complete their set and it's true that LCBO won't be receiving anymore stock of these, does anyone know if it's possible to import from another country? I've never ordered alcohol online before and am not sure of the pros and cons or if it's even legal?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
2685 posts
348 upvotes
The Oban would be my pick. The artwork looks amazing and I like the Oban distillery
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2215 posts
491 upvotes
ExcelPremium wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 4:20 pm
Did anyone manage to pick up any?
I grabbed the Oban. Would like to grab a few more but haven't had a chance to.
Mar 31, 2008
637 posts
361 upvotes
Airdrie
I've seen the Oban popping up on kijiji for around $300 already.