Hot Deals

LCBO

Holy Bourbon, Batman! LCBO sale on 6 decent bourbons!!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2022 10:38 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7571 posts
5736 upvotes
Ottawa

[LCBO] Holy Bourbon, Batman! LCBO sale on 6 decent bourbons!!

It's been a while since the LCBO had a sale on this many bourbons at the same time. And yeah I know that LCBO "sales" aren't massive discounts, prices have recently been going up, and that many of these are cheaper in Alberta but still a price break is a price break and it's always appreciated.

I like each of these bourbons but will admit that my appreciation for two of them is recent whereas two others are stalwarts in my whiskey cabinet and I will be stocking up on every one of these.

First up: Woodford Reserve Distiller Select $48.25 after $5.00 off

90.4 Proof

I find this to be a polished bourbon but one that is neither showy nor risky: good flavour but not so many that I would think it to be a waste to use it in a cocktail. In fact, along with Buffalo Trace, this is my go-to for a Whiskey Sour. Yes, you can sip it (and I do!) but this adds elegance to an Old Fashioned.

Next up: Wild Turkey Longbranch $56.25 after $5.00 off

86 Proof.

This is perhaps the easiest drinking bourbon here - along with the Basil Hayden. Neat, over ice, or in a cocktail. It has just a hint of smoke but it has probably the best mouth-feel of all of these bourbons when taken neat. Very interesting flavours - it rewards if you let it linger a little on your tongue. If I was to put this in a cocktail, it would be a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. In fact, I sense the sun will be over the yardarm very soon and a Manhattan sounds like a fitting way to a tough day.

Next up: Legent $57.95 after $6.00 off

94 Proof

I will be the first to admit I was wrong about this one but I didn't use to like it. I think I approached it with a closed mind and was put off by my experience with other Jim Beam bourbons. I finally allowed myself the opportunity to enjoy it and enjoy I did! Licorice, plums, vanilla, caramel, dark chocolate and more - they all lurk within its amazingly silky mouth-feel. This is a darned good whiskey and in a recent taste test, my brother and I chose this as one of our favourites. I have not yet tried it in a cocktail but I think this would work very well in a whiskey sour if I really wanted to impress the guests.

Next up: Elijah Craig Small Batch $46.95 after $3.00 off

94 Proof

This "sale" really only brings a decent whiskey back to where its regular price was a couple of years ago. Still, it's a decent bourbon and it's now 2022 so the regular prices are different everywhere. Still, it's a relatively easy drinking whiskey for its proof and has some very good complexity in its flavours - vanilla, oak, apricot, and caramel. My brother told me he could sense orange rind but it was late in the evening and my palate was "tired" by then. I've had this often in cocktails and I would highly recommend it as a cocktail bourbon, neat, or over ice.

Next up: Basil Hayden Kentucky Bourbon $50.95 after $5.00 off

80 Proof.

Another Jim Beam bourbon here - and another that I had previously struggled with but I was wrong: for such a light proof bourbon, it holds its own quite well. But I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't on sale. I serve this to people who aren't really whiskey drinkers and who prefer cocktails over drinking neat. Don't get me wrong: it's a decent bourbon and it's worth trying on sale - if you like it, stock up!

Finally: Larceny $41.95 after $3.00 off

https://aem.lcbo.com/content/dam/lcbo/p ... 0.1280.jpg

92 Proof

Another bourbon with a decent mouthfeel and good complexity of flavours - to my palate, its spices lean more to the toasted side. I like that so I enjoy sipping this but I find it wows the crowd in any bourbon-based cocktail. It's not one of the best bourbons going and this is only $3.00 off but it's the bargain here. The flavour to dollar ratio is good with this one.

Enjoy!
113 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
7118 posts
3271 upvotes
Love the fact that you put in the time & effort to give a thorough review. Great informative post, well done. Its not even necessarily about "the deal" but the info & reviews are very useful
Dec 21, 2009
485 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
woodford reserve is absolutely delicious
Nov 21, 2001
827 posts
140 upvotes
Markham
I've been slowly expanding my Bourbon horizons. Was disappointed in Blantons, but really like Woodford. Will pick up that and Longbranch to try
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2262 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto
always upvote bourbon threads.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2020
1365 posts
4213 upvotes
bbmello wrote: woodford reserve is absolutely delicious
my fave by a mile.
Oct 7, 2017
372 posts
518 upvotes
I am not familiar with bourbons. How does one drink them? Shots? glass? No Ice, with ice, rocks? Mixed with other drinks? Can you please give your top way of enjoying these drinks?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7571 posts
5736 upvotes
Ottawa
If you like Woodford Reserve, get the WR Double-Oaked when it is next in stock. A couple of months ago, my brother and I placed that one well ahead of Blanton's and Angel's Envy in our "taste test" evening. He had never had any of them previously but knew WR and he was blown away by the Double-Oaked.
Pupsik27 wrote: I am not familiar with bourbons. How does one drink them? Shots? glass? No Ice, with ice, rocks? Mixed with other drinks? Can you please give your top way of enjoying these drinks?
If neat - with or without a drop or few of distilled water - in a tumbler or a Glencairn glass (like this one). If over ice, an Old Fashioned glass is the best IMO. If in a cocktail, the glass follows the cocktail.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7571 posts
5736 upvotes
Ottawa
groo wrote: I've been slowly expanding my Bourbon horizons. Was disappointed in Blantons, but really like Woodford. Will pick up that and Longbranch to try
I'd be interested in your thoughts on Longbranch. Agreed about Blanton's but don't get me wrong - it's a very nice bourbon but its reputation and scarcity feed the hype as if it's something that it isn't. Nice bottle though...
Oct 6, 2020
346 posts
248 upvotes
Anyone has recommendations of which 1 is good for making an Old Fashioned - i.e. would the $31.95 Jim Bean 6 Year Old be good for that?

Edit: nvm just saw that OP already wrote which ones are good for making Old Fashioned!
Last edited by NeoFromTheMatrix on Aug 16th, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3071 posts
2565 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Pupsik27 wrote: I am not familiar with bourbons. How does one drink them? Shots? glass? No Ice, with ice, rocks? Mixed with other drinks? Can you please give your top way of enjoying these drinks?
Do you already drink straight spirits? Shots are for nothing but getting a buzz. You're avoiding the taste of it that way. Sipping straight spirits requires getting used to - there's a way to do it without getting that burning feeling and I don't know that I can really explain it. You'll figure it out fairly quickly if you start sipping whisky I think.
Do you already drink other whiskies? In general, basic rye, blended scotch, and cheaper bourbon are best in cocktails (or shots if that's your thing); while nicer bourbon and single-malt scotch are best neat, or with one ice cube if you're not into neat, or on the rocks if you want it more chilled and diluted. By default I'd drink every one of the bourbons in this list neat (preferably in a heavy tumbler), but I'd like to try them in suitable cocktails as well.

Thanks OP for taking the time to post those tasting notes!
Nov 23, 2012
80 posts
83 upvotes
SUDBURY
Op did a great job very informative reviews, well written… I don’t even drink but it deserves a thumbs up
Apr 1, 2009
376 posts
177 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP!

Woodford Reserve is my go-to bourbon! I also like the Longbranch and might stock it up as well.
CaptSmethwick wrote: If you like Woodford Reserve, get the WR Double-Oaked when it is next in stock.
….
If neat - with or without a drop or few of distilled water - in a tumbler or a Glencairn glass (like this one). If over ice, an Old Fashioned glass is the best IMO. If in a cocktail, the glass follows the cocktail.
I have to admit that I prefer the “regular” Woodford Reserve over the Double Oaked - it is a matter of taste, of course and definitely worth a try!

Thumbs up for the Glencairn glasses! If drinking with ice, Costco used to carry the Canadian Whiskey version for a good price. I can’t find it on the Costco site, but I think that it is the same as this one on Amazon.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1680 posts
1669 upvotes
which one of these would compare to glenfiddich 12?
Wallet safe...
Aug 30, 2017
185 posts
241 upvotes
I understand less than nothing in bourbons, but damn... This description is so invested and poetic, I would've upvoted it 5 times if I could!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7571 posts
5736 upvotes
Ottawa
D0ntgiveajack wrote: which one of these would compare to glenfiddich 12?
Closest would be the Woodford Reserve IMO but bourbon is really a different drink. I drink single-malt Scotch, Irish, Japanese whiskey, bourbon, and the better quality ryes but good single malt scotches are just different. I like Islay single malts and there's no bourbon that gives me that same peaty/smoky flavour.
Aug 30, 2007
903 posts
1705 upvotes
Calgary
Not in Ontario, can't take advantage of the sale, but I can't resist a bourbon thread.

Thumbs up OP.

Currently drinking Buffalo Trace, but Woodford Reserve is next on my list to try, based on everyone's recommendations, up there ^ !Face With Tears Of Joy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Everyone has their thing, we're all here to save money while doing it!
Apr 7, 2011
971 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
People will say it's a waste, but any rum, whiskey or bourbon in some coke tastes great. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)