• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2020 1:07 pm
[OP]
Dec 24, 2017
692 posts
1482 upvotes
lel

[LCBO] LCBO - McClelland's Islay Single Malt 10% Off - $40.95

For the LCBO, this is a good discount (just a wee bit over 10%) on an accessible Single Malt Islay Whisky. It's no Lagavulin, but it will take you for an olfactory journey into the bog of ancient times with its strong peated flavour.

Just leave one for me, will ye?
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2818 posts
1056 upvotes
One of my favorite cheap Islay’s. I always make sure I have a bottle of these around with my Lagavulin. It just depends on what the mood is that night. Great deal, I’m definitely going to go grab one Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1522 posts
1284 upvotes
This stuff is good for beer back? Craft of course. Winking Face

Thanks OP. I think I'll pick one of these up to expand my scotch taste buds. Started taking it on canoe trips this summer because it packs lighter than beer. :)
[OP]
Dec 24, 2017
692 posts
1482 upvotes
lel
With the possibility of new restrictions on the horizon in the higher populated areas of Ontario, time to stock up again
Jan 20, 2015
5 posts
6 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Just a heads up for anyone thinking of trying this, McClelland's Islay is essentially Bowmore juice that was deemed unacceptable to sell as Bowmore. If you don't like the taste of Bowmore, then you probably won't like this.
Oct 24, 2005
85 posts
26 upvotes
If you're looking for something around $40 with a touch of smoke, suggest Te Bheag (pronounced Che Vek). While it is a blend, it has a bit more depth and complexity. I read somewhere that these guys are starting a distillery and are bottling blends while their first barrels age. Anyways, readily available at most LC's and a pretty tasty weekday dram.
Aug 17, 2013
45 posts
30 upvotes
Carleton Place
I second that. The Te Bheag is great. I do pairing with chocolate and it works well with an Ecuadorian Cocoa (Arriba).
Jan 22, 2018
33 posts
16 upvotes
Save yourself $7+ and buy this instead, better and cheaper

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... 9vjtWlybqs

I would agree at $40, Te Bheag (mentioned above) is also a better choice

Another good budget option would be

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... 9vlumlybqs

Not trying to be a snob, because we all need cheap scotch, but at the LCBO a decent single malt just can't be had around this price point.

The McClelland reviews speak for themselves
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by 6ixRix on Dec 17th, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2017
692 posts
1482 upvotes
lel
6ixRix wrote: Save yourself $7+ and buy this instead, better and cheaper

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... 9vjtWlybqs

I would agree at $40, Te Bheag (mentioned above) is also a better choice
I mean it does sound good but it is a blend innit
Jan 22, 2018
33 posts
16 upvotes
Pingalino wrote: I mean it does sound good but it is a blend innit
I edited my post above after your reply, but at $40 you just aren't going to get a single malt worth pouring at the LCBO.

There are better blends (Monkey Shoulder) but are more expensive.

Deanston VO at $50 or goes on $3-$5 off sale from time to time is pretty much the cheapest drinkable bottle...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2024 posts
2587 upvotes
GTA
Life is too short to drink bad whiskey.
Mar 11, 2012
36 posts
45 upvotes
To the new Whiskey drinkers, none of the us can tell you what's a bad whiskey. Try everything and like it on taste not reviews or dollars.

Love this one.. one of the first brands I tried getting into Whiskeys.
Jan 20, 2015
5 posts
6 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'd like to also throw my support in for the Te Bheag. Yes it is a blend, but keep in mind that a well crafted blend can indeed be exceptional, especially from a value standpoint. Keep in mind that traditionally and historically, the vast majority of scotch whisky has been sold as blends, most coming from families that had bases in tea blending. That said, Te Bheag is a quite sought after bottle in the US since it is not sold there. It has a relatively unique flavor profile, regardless of price comparison. Obviously it can't compare to $100 single malts, but I would argue it is better than some $80 examples (friends don't let friends buy Jura). Another advantage imho is that although clearly light and shy, it has the base tastes of some very good single malts and is similar in profile to a Talisker and Highland Park. Very lightly peated with brine and sea salt. I think it's a solid option for the beginner since it helps train the palate to a specific style while also being of such good value as to be considered as a daily dram.

That said, if we're talking single malts, the only similarly priced one I can think of that is of worth is Glen Moray. A solid and consistent dram for a very affordable price. The peated tastes like smoked salmon, the chardonnay cask is a bit sweet, but great for the novice, I have yet to try the port cask and the 12 tastes of green apples. I'll admit that a glass of the peated with a bowl of olives in front of the fire is a favorite Christmas time experience.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2017
692 posts
1482 upvotes
lel
Thanks everyone for their input . I'm new to all of this, but I did enough research to grab a lagavulin 16 year for the holidays and I'll compare it to this to see what I see
Jul 19, 2008
72 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Chan eil “Te Bheag” teth no beag idir!
[OP]
Dec 24, 2017
692 posts
1482 upvotes
lel
Tarro wrote: Chan eil “Te Bheag” teth no beag idir!
Is féidir!
Nov 9, 2017
84 posts
90 upvotes
This is my fav cheap whisky. Picked up a bottle already but might get another.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3969 posts
839 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Definately one of the longest bottles for me to finish. Better off with a bottle of Jameson or save your money for something else.
Jun 26, 2005
229 posts
160 upvotes
Pingalino wrote: I mean it does sound good but it is a blend innit
Single Malts unless stated that it's Single Cask or Single Barrel are usually blends. Not different whiskies blended, but different barrels of the same malt/age from a single distillery.

The first time I had the McClelland I thought it was terrible and tasted like gasoline but I actually grew to like, not love it. Much better stuff to be had for sure. I prob would not buy it again but if given as a gift I wouldn't complain.

I was just at the LC at St Clair/Ave Rd and grabbed the Redbreast 12 on sale for $69. Usually $79. I've been on more of a Bourbon (Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey 101) and Irish ( Jameson Black Barrel/Caskmates Stout) kick of late.