• Jun 24th, 2021 4:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5986 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa

[LCBO] LCBO "sale" on two very good bourbons

Like all LCBO "sales", the prices aren't great but they are what they are. That being said, these prices are cheaper than many jurisdictions in the US and the whiskies themselves are definitely worth trying.

First up: Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey $38.30 ($3 off reg $41.30 price).

Buffalo Trace is my go-to bourbon. It's a nicely aged bourbon (at least 8 years) that is flavourful but subtle on those flavours. It is semi-sweet (and definitely not too much so) and so very mellow with such a warm finish that it might just test your sense of self restraint. $3 off doesn't sound like much but this tastes (to this palate) like a $50+ bourbon and is often in short supply (or completely out of stock) so $38 is amazing. Neat or in a whiskey sour (or even a bourbon-based Manhattan). Enjoy!

Next up: Wild Turkey Longbranch $54.60 ($5 off reg $59.60 price).

Matthew McConaughey has his name on this one (Google it if you're interested in that part of this bourbon as I am more interested in its taste) but regardless this is a very very good bourbon. A great mouth feel with a powerful finish. Again, complex flavours but not overpowering. Amazing neat or over ice. I have never had this in a mixed drink but am sipping on one over ice at this very minute and am enjoying every sip.

Honourable mention:

Legent $55.30 ($5 off reg price of $60.30) - personally, I think this bourbon is overpriced but it's pretty good. It might just be my palate but I would choose Buffalo Trace over Legent any day. That being said, it makes a very good whiskey sour.

Finally, there's Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey. At $1.50 off its regular price of $40.75, it leaves with a "meh" feeling. It's a decent bourbon for sure but it's just not much of a sale. If you like it, at least there's some savings here...

Slainte!
90 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13318 posts
24567 upvotes
Thumbs up for a very detailed post with review
Mar 11, 2006
128 posts
11 upvotes
Loved the review, however the discount is really not that great, it seems like LCBO never offers a good discount on whiskeys, few bucks the most.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5986 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
zwjohn wrote: Loved the review, however the discount is really not that great, it seems like LCBO never offers a good discount on whiskeys, few bucks the most.
True. But if you live in Ontario, these prices are as good as they're ever going to get for these bourbons and the two I have featured are well worth the sale price. I have friends in the US who pay way more than these prices for these whiskeys. Unfortunately, taxes are a big part of the price of spirits in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2784 posts
258 upvotes
Great info, CaptSmethwick! Thanks for sharing.
Nov 11, 2010
150 posts
154 upvotes
GTA/Niagara
Damn, Not really a whiskey drinker but definitely in for Buffalo Trace based on the notes alone, thanks fellow Cap!
Sep 8, 2010
197 posts
222 upvotes
Windsor
nice OP. Just ran out of merry maker's and basil hayden's. Will try buffalo trace. Love to make old fashioned and manhattans with bourbon. Good in a hot toddy when you're ill. Or neat when you are feeling refined.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5986 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
StudYork wrote: nice OP. Just ran out of merry maker's and basil hayden's. Will try buffalo trace. Love to make old fashioned and manhattans with bourbon. Good in a hot toddy when you're ill. Or neat when you are feeling refined.
Buffalo Trace makes a very very nice Old Fashioned. Enjoy.
Jan 8, 2016
107 posts
97 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
CaptSmethwick wrote: Image

Like all LCBO "sales", the prices aren't great but they are what they are. That being said, these prices are cheaper than many jurisdictions in the US and the whiskies themselves are definitely worth trying.

First up: Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey $38.30 ($3 off reg $41.30 price).

Buffalo Trace is my go-to bourbon. It's a nicely aged bourbon (at least 8 years) that is flavourful but subtle on those flavours. It is semi-sweet (and definitely not too much so) and so very mellow with such a warm finish that it might just test your sense of self restraint. $3 off doesn't sound like much but this tastes (to this palate) like a $50+ bourbon and is often in short supply (or completely out of stock) so $38 is amazing. Neat or in a whiskey sour (or even a bourbon-based Manhattan). Enjoy!

Next up: Wild Turkey Longbranch $54.60 ($5 off reg $59.60 price).

Matthew McConaughey has his name on this one (Google it if you're interested in that part of this bourbon as I am more interested in its taste) but regardless this is a very very good bourbon. A great mouth feel with a powerful finish. Again, complex flavours but not overpowering. Amazing neat or over ice. I have never had this in a mixed drink but am sipping on one over ice at this very minute and am enjoying every sip.

Honourable mention:

Legent $55.30 ($5 off reg price of $60.30) - personally, I think this bourbon is overpriced but it's pretty good. It might just be my palate but I would choose Buffalo Trace over Legent any day. That being said, it makes a very good whiskey sour.

Finally, there's Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey. At $1.50 off its regular price of $40.75, it leaves with a "meh" feeling. It's a decent bourbon for sure but it's just not much of a sale. If you like it, at least there's some savings here...

Slainte!
Not a bourbon drinker but now I want to try at least one of these after such a well written review. You have great literary prose.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5986 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
bubbabooie wrote: Not a bourbon drinker but now I want to try at least one of these after such a well written review. You have great literary prose.
Try Buffalo Trace - at $38, it's a bargain.
Oct 30, 2009
200 posts
137 upvotes
Milton
So professional... like reading hi-fi review.
Feb 20, 2008
452 posts
571 upvotes
Buffalo Trace all the way. I do like Bulleit, but Buffalo Trace tastes so good it seems underpriced compared to higher priced bourbons like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2125 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the post. Will get them both.
Jan 2, 2018
16 posts
30 upvotes
tinmack wrote: Buffalo Trace all the way. I do like Bulleit, but Buffalo Trace tastes so good it seems underpriced compared to higher priced bourbons like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek.
Knob creek after it lost its age guarantee had a dramatic change in taste. Definitely not recommended for the price.

Buffalo trace is a steal at full price for the quality. It isn’t aged 8 years like the OP suggests though. It’s got no age statement but honestly don’t let that interfere because it’s one of the best whiskeys you can buy in that price range.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1805 posts
881 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, gonna try your go to Buffalo Trace
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5225 posts
4227 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Not a fan of Buffalo Trace myself, but great review. I just bought a bottle of Booker's, Laphroaig and Ardbeg. If I buy anymore my wife will surely kill me!
Jan 27, 2003
584 posts
38 upvotes
Snow Country, BC
Thanks OP bought 2 Buffalo Trace to try.
Core 2 Duo E6600 with Scythe Ninja Plus Heat Sink
Intel 975XBX Revision 305 MOBO
OCZ Dual Channel XTC 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 7600GT CO wit
Jan 9, 2014
905 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
I don't even drink alcohol, but that description makes me want to buy it.....