LCBO "sale" on two very good bourbons

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2021 4:11 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1866 posts
1286 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Decent pricing, I realize that booze is so heavily regulated and taxed that we won't ever get cheap booze.

Does the LCBO still do the AirMiles points or is that done? I know someone dropped them, unsure if it was LCBO or not.
Dec 8, 2018
71 posts
53 upvotes
How does the Longbranch compare to the regular Wild Turkey or the 101 ? Thanks !
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6022 posts
3576 upvotes
Ottawa
DTrain1 wrote: Knob creek after it lost its age guarantee had a dramatic change in taste. Definitely not recommended for the price.

Buffalo trace is a steal at full price for the quality. It isn’t aged 8 years like the OP suggests though. It’s got no age statement but honestly don’t let that interfere because it’s one of the best whiskeys you can buy in that price range.
You are correct that BT has no age statement but the company has said repeatedly that it is aged at least 8 years. I believe it - there's no way it could be as smooth as it is if were much younger.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6022 posts
3576 upvotes
Ottawa
Gibsons wrote: Decent pricing, I realize that booze is so heavily regulated and taxed that we won't ever get cheap booze.

Does the LCBO still do the AirMiles points or is that done? I know someone dropped them, unsure if it was LCBO or not.
LCBO dropped AirMiles a couple of months ago. :(
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6022 posts
3576 upvotes
Ottawa
tempbond wrote: How does the Longbranch compare to the regular Wild Turkey or the 101 ? Thanks !
It's been a while since I've had 101. I think LB benefits from the Mesquite finish and there's a beautifully faint touch of smokiness that makes it amazing neat. If you want a high-end cocktail, I'd probably recommend the 101.
Nov 25, 2015
164 posts
295 upvotes
Arva, ON
Good deals, Buffalo Trace has been my sipping bourbon for the past few years (ever since I toured their distillery). Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure their regular price used to be around $43-45, so it seems that their regular price has dropped, and now this sale makes the price even better.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
7377 posts
3019 upvotes
Haven’t tried either, but I definitely would like to. I do enjoy drinking, and I always like trying new stuff. On sale is a good time to buy.

I’m in BC, so not sure if our prices are similar to Ontario’s or not. I do know that Alberta wins in the alcohol price category.

Lately I’ve been getting into rums, which have some similarities to bourbons, whiskys and such.

I recommend this rum - Plantation.
Images
  • 8B04094A-7FE0-4E8C-BE23-BC32379F5819.jpeg
Sep 30, 2019
144 posts
170 upvotes
bt was my original go-to bourbon, and imho is the best intro to bourbon because of its slight sweetness. some say basil hayden, but at this sale price, if you want to start down the bourbon trail, this is it.
especially since so much of the bt line is revered, and there are times where it even falls out of stock. . .

if you end up liking bt, there's a good chance you'll like and explore their entire line. . .

wt lb is one that i have not yet tried, but if it is anything like rare breed or 101, i'm going to like it. i wonder if the smokiness will be like high west campfire? wt is a little like bt in that if you like the taste profile, i find that you'll like the rest of their line.

can't say i agree with op about legent--i quite like it. it reminds me of a more affordable version of michter's. . .
definitely agree with op on bulleit. . .just not my flavour profile. . .

upvoted for sharing. . .
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14591 posts
5204 upvotes
London
Might be time time finally give buffalo trace a try
Mar 21, 2013
70 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
Pharmer wrote: I don't even drink alcohol, but that description makes me want to buy it.....
buy now, think later
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4872 posts
2385 upvotes
jassisc wrote: buy now, think later
buy now, drink later
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1561 posts
5965 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
Although I appreciate the post, the word 'sale' and 'LCBO' is an oxymoron. Get rid of the unions and then there may be some sales
What's in your wallet?
Aug 21, 2018
55 posts
32 upvotes
BT is by far one of the best bourbon for the price. It's what a quality bourbon (with Rye as the spncond grain) you can get for the price. Personally I prefer wheated borubons, but Weller is now a unicorn unfortunately.

As for longbranch, for me the taste wasn't too good and I think Russel reserve is miles better than this (I know it's harder to get at this time). Personally I prefer WT 101 then this.

A reminder that taste is personal, so your millage may vary.
Sep 30, 2019
144 posts
170 upvotes
Stormzo wrote: BT is by far one of the best bourbon for the price. It's what a quality bourbon (with Rye as the spncond grain) you can get for the price. Personally I prefer wheated borubons, but Weller is now a unicorn unfortunately.

As for longbranch, for me the taste wasn't too good and I think Russel reserve is miles better than this (I know it's harder to get at this time). Personally I prefer WT 101 then this.

A reminder that taste is personal, so your millage may vary.
what would you compare wt lb to? have you had anything like it? trying to figure out if it is worth the effort, as it is not available at my local?

i really like wt 101 as well, but i also love peated and smokey, so i'm thinking wt profile with subtle hints of islay? might be worth it. . .tia, mate
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6022 posts
3576 upvotes
Ottawa
afong636807717107645200 wrote: what would you compare wt lb to? have you had anything like it? trying to figure out if it is worth the effort, as it is not available at my local?

i really like wt 101 as well, but i also love peated and smokey, so i'm thinking wt profile with subtle hints of islay? might be worth it. . .tia, mate
LongBranch is "worth" trying. If you're into peaty Scotches such as Laphroaig, you will be disappointed. The mesquite charcoal used to filter the LB imparts a very delicate smokiness to this bourbon. I have space for both of these in my palate and appreciate the complexity of flavour you get with LB whereas Laphroaig's smokiness overwhelms most other flavours. Again, I like both but they're different.
Feb 7, 2007
278 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
zwjohn wrote: Loved the review, however the discount is really not that great, it seems like LCBO never offers a good discount on whiskeys, few bucks the most.
It all depends on the floor price of that specific product.
Aug 21, 2018
55 posts
32 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: LongBranch is "worth" trying. If you're into peaty Scotches such as Laphroaig, you will be disappointed. The mesquite charcoal used to filter the LB imparts a very delicate smokiness to this bourbon. I have space for both of these in my palate and appreciate the complexity of flavour you get with LB whereas Laphroaig's smokiness overwhelms most other flavours. Again, I like both but they're different.
That's a very good way of putting it. I agree that it has a smoke undertone. I'm not a fan of peat at all and most of my scotches are from the highland and speyside region apart from a few lowlands. I like sweet bourbons and LB is not that sweet and smokey. It's definitely different and might be your cup of tea!
Sep 30, 2019
144 posts
170 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: LongBranch is "worth" trying. If you're into peaty Scotches such as Laphroaig, you will be disappointed. The mesquite charcoal used to filter the LB imparts a very delicate smokiness to this bourbon. I have space for both of these in my palate and appreciate the complexity of flavour you get with LB whereas Laphroaig's smokiness overwhelms most other flavours. Again, I like both but they're different.
Stormzo wrote: That's a very good way of putting it. I agree that it has a smoke undertone. I'm not a fan of peat at all and most of my scotches are from the highland and speyside region apart from a few lowlands. I like sweet bourbons and LB is not that sweet and smokey. It's definitely different and might be your cup of tea!
while i do like the gamut of islay--weirdly you mentioned my favourite of them--i have a broad appreciation for non-peated speyside (balvenie being my favourite) and highland, but i actually drink mostly bourbons.

i asked earlier if it would be similar to high west campfire, but that's not an easy bottle to come by. the filtering through charcoal sounds a bit like a variation on tennessee whiskey, using mesquite instead of sugar maple. . .ok, thanks for the reply
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6022 posts
3576 upvotes
Ottawa
afong636807717107645200 wrote: while i do like the gamut of islay--weirdly you mentioned my favourite of them--i have a broad appreciation for non-peated speyside (balvenie being my favourite) and highland, but i actually drink mostly bourbons.

i asked earlier if it would be similar to high west campfire, but that's not an easy bottle to come by. the filtering through charcoal sounds a bit like a variation on tennessee whiskey, using mesquite instead of sugar maple. . .ok, thanks for the reply
We may have similar palates. I used to favour Lagavulin before it got stupid expensive and Laphroaig found its way into the liquor cabinet every once in a while as well. Those are Scotches that I will strictly drink neat and maybe with a drop or two of distilled water. My go-to Scotch is a good but rather straightforward one: Glenmorangie 10 y.o. and I don't feel bad about pouring it over ice or cubes.
Aug 31, 2006
929 posts
805 upvotes
Norilsk
zwjohn wrote: Loved the review, however the discount is really not that great, it seems like LCBO never offers a good discount on whiskeys, few bucks the most.
OP posted about every bourbon on sale last LCBO sale cycle.

FYI: every sale cycle there are a couple of bourbons on sale. Maybe post the next sale offerings in the food and drink forum.

Unless it's the four roses single barrel. Then it hots
If I robbed the place I would be out by now....