Expired Hot Deals

LCBO

LCBO "sale" on two very good bourbons

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2021 4:11 pm
Aug 21, 2018
59 posts
56 upvotes
afong636807717107645200 wrote: while i do like the gamut of islay--weirdly you mentioned my favourite of them--i have a broad appreciation for non-peated speyside (balvenie being my favourite) and highland, but i actually drink mostly bourbons.

i asked earlier if it would be similar to high west campfire, but that's not an easy bottle to come by. the filtering through charcoal sounds a bit like a variation on tennessee whiskey, using mesquite instead of sugar maple. . .ok, thanks for the reply
I do have a bottle of HW campfire, but it's in the to drink pile lol. I only keep around 15 bottles open at all times. I do like balvenie, and need to get a bottle of the double wood since the triple wood was a delight. I'm a big fan of macallan , glendronach and aberlour (a'bunadh is a steel at $100).
Sep 30, 2019
166 posts
190 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote:
We may have similar palates. I used to favour Lagavulin before it got stupid expensive and Laphroaig found its way into the liquor cabinet every once in a while as well. Those are Scotches that I will strictly drink neat and maybe with a drop or two of distilled water. My go-to Scotch is a good but rather straightforward one: Glenmorangie 10 y.o. and I don't feel bad about pouring it over ice or cubes.
haven't tried the laga 12 yet, but do like the 8 and 16. . .

have you tried the michter's american and sb bourbon? really like the sb--very full, rounded mouthful
Stormzo wrote: I do have a bottle of HW campfire, but it's in the to drink pile lol. I only keep around 15 bottles open at all times. I do like balvenie, and need to get a bottle of the double wood since the triple wood was a delight. I'm a big fan of macallan , glendronach and aberlour (a'bunadh is a steel at $100).
i remember when balvenie dw was $50. . .sigh. . .the a'bunadh is a wonderful dram. . .holy cow, so good. . .

i have hw campfire, and find the smoke to be subtle. . .just wondering if it is similar to wt lb, although the mesquite is certainly different--i know from smoking meat that maple and mesquite are whole different worlds. . .
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6156 posts
3674 upvotes
Ottawa
afong636807717107645200 wrote: haven't tried the laga 12 yet, but do like the 8 and 16. . .

have you tried the michter's american and sb bourbon? really like the sb--very full, rounded mouthful

i remember when balvenie dw was $50. . .sigh. . .the a'bunadh is a wonderful dram. . .holy cow, so good. . .

i have hw campfire, and find the smoke to be subtle. . .just wondering if it is similar to wt lb, although the mesquite is certainly different--i know from smoking meat that maple and mesquite are whole different worlds. . .
The mesquite in LB is quite subtle. IIRC the mesquite charcoal is mixed with white oak charcoal. The result is smooth but with an interesting finish. I find that its taste is very different when you go from neat to a couple of drops of water to over ice - often a sign of a complex whiskey.
May 22, 2007
387 posts
386 upvotes
Never had bourbon before but this post was enough to convince me to get a bottle of Buffalo Trace, of which I'm having a glass. Thank you, OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3307 posts
3750 upvotes
Yeah, that Buffalo is nice and all. But non-bourbon drinkers need to know that Wild Turkey 101 can stomp all over those buffalo balls for many. If you like vanilla, light fruit, wood, and balanced flavors, buffalo is great. If you like darker fruits, raisins, buffalos on steroids, turkey 101 is your dram. Try them, both are wonderful. Don't mix them at first with anything aggressive. Just add some teaspoons of filtered water to cut it down. They open up with simple water and you get more vanilla, oak and honey flavours in return for your trouble. Nuts, good chocolate, aged cheeses will take you to flavour Nirvana with these.
Last edited by thelasthunter on May 30th, 2021 12:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
For Sale:
Mar 24, 2015
418 posts
275 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Went in looking for the wild turkey, got the Woodford Reserve in it's absence. I'm okay with that.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3307 posts
3750 upvotes
markust5775 wrote: Went in looking for the wild turkey, got the Woodford Reserve in it's absence. I'm okay with that.
Yeah Bourbon is very difficult to screw up for most people. Non-drinkers should start from the cheapest, which are still very good, and work their way up to appreciate the subtle differences than judge if its worth the price difference. It's not like beers where there's a universe of difference between something made typically by Molson and something made by Dieu Du Ciel, to give a good Canadian example.
Last edited by thelasthunter on May 29th, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3297 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto, ON
markust5775 wrote: Went in looking for the wild turkey, got the Woodford Reserve in it's absence. I'm okay with that.
I just had my first taste of Woodford Reserve few minutes ago which I bought based on the recommendation on the other thread and I think I like it better than Maker's Mark. I just started drinking whiskey few months ago trying different brands
Mar 28, 2007
229 posts
34 upvotes
Picked up the Buffalo Trace yesterday. Gotta say, pretty good at that price point. Thanks OP
Sep 2, 2017
43 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa Ontario
Hello,

Excellent Post! I’m sure many people appreciate the detailed review!
Genuinely,

Mr. Hungry Services
Aug 21, 2018
59 posts
56 upvotes
boldventure wrote: I just had my first taste of Woodford Reserve few minutes ago which I bought based on the recommendation on the other thread and I think I like it better than Maker's Mark. I just started drinking whiskey few months ago trying different brands
Woodford reserve is solid and better then Maker's Mark IMO (although their mash bill is different, WR uses rye as the second grain and MM uses wheat). Skip the WR doubled oaked as I don't think it's better than the original and cost more. Keep an eye out for the regular Weller special reserve or antique 107 if you can, defenitely worth the purchase. Weller 12YO is my favorite bourbon of all times as of now, but good luck finding it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6156 posts
3674 upvotes
Ottawa
Stormzo wrote: Woodford reserve is solid and better then Maker's Mark IMO (although their mash bill is different, WR uses rye as the second grain and MM uses wheat). Skip the WR doubled oaked as I don't think it's better than the original and cost more. Keep an eye out for the regular Weller special reserve or antique 107 if you can, defenitely worth the purchase. Weller 12YO is my favorite bourbon of all times as of now, but good luck finding it.
WRDO is a very very good whiskey but at its regular price I wouldn't buy. When it comes to premium bourbons, it's palate-dependent as to whether or not they're "worth it". I have liked the Michters I've had in the past but I would be more inclined to plunk that kind of money down on one of my favourite scotches over any of their line-up. As another poster has said (and quite rightly), if you like one of a distiller's bourbons, chances are you will like them all.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've had a bourbon I didn't like...
Dec 17, 2019
15 posts
14 upvotes
Thanks OP! Tried the Buffalo Trace yesterday - really great taste, loved it!!
Mar 24, 2015
418 posts
275 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
boldventure wrote: I just had my first taste of Woodford Reserve few minutes ago which I bought based on the recommendation on the other thread and I think I like it better than Maker's Mark. I just started drinking whiskey few months ago trying different brands
I'm not really a big fan of Maker's Mark, I'd rather go with a Blanton's in that price range. MM used to be much cheaper.
Feb 29, 2012
492 posts
183 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: True. But if you live in Ontario, these prices are as good as they're ever going to get for these bourbons and the two I have featured are well worth the sale price. I have friends in the US who pay way more than these prices for these whiskeys. Unfortunately, taxes are a big part of the price of spirits in Ontario.
In AB I can get 750ml of Buffalo Trace for $29.99 when it's on sale at Superstore Liquor and $64.99 for 1.75L at Costco...
Sep 22, 2018
160 posts
284 upvotes
reachedlegendary1 wrote: In AB I can get 750ml of Buffalo Trace for $29.99 when it's on sale at Superstore Liquor and $64.99 for 1.75L at Costco...
Wow great price
Aug 28, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Wow just checked the price in BC and its 88.99 Disappointed Face someone enjoy this for me
Sep 30, 2019
166 posts
190 upvotes
JesseG5857 wrote: Wow just checked the price in BC and its 88.99 Disappointed Face someone enjoy this for me
so even at regular price at the lcbo, bc charges more than double???

thanks for putting things into perspective. . .

upvoted for reality check!

sorry for the circumstance, tho. . .
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6156 posts
3674 upvotes
Ottawa
reachedlegendary1 wrote: In AB I can get 750ml of Buffalo Trace for $29.99 when it's on sale at Superstore Liquor and $64.99 for 1.75L at Costco...
Amazing prices to be sure. Forgive my ignorance but is GST included?