• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2021 4:11 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
1600 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the reviews.
Picked up the Long Branch instead of Bunnahabhain Toiteach A Dha based on your review.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6093 posts
3622 upvotes
Ottawa
LCBO used to be the largest purchaser of wine and spirits in the world but now it's number three, behind Costco and Tesco (UK). All three have purchasing power and get great prices. What they do with the prices they pay, however, is a little different. On a $40 whiskey, I think that the LCBO's mark-up is $18-20 so $3 off isn't much but they still have to recover their expenses out of their mark up. I suspect that the $3 is half of their "pure profit" wiggle room after expenses have been recovered whereas Costco is getting its infrastructure paid for by its significantly larger sales volumes (of mostly non-alcoholic products).
Thanks. In the end, it's small and at only 5% (or $1.50 when it's on sale for $30), the all-in price of $31.50 is still $6.80 below this LCBO "sale" price. And $65 for a 1.75L bottle is amazing.
Sep 30, 2019
148 posts
176 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: . . .Costco is getting its infrastructure paid for by its significantly larger sales volumes (of mostly non-alcoholic products).
also a significant % of their profitability from yearly membership fees. . .technically costco is a 'closed' retail shop
Sep 30, 2019
148 posts
176 upvotes
picked up a bottle of wt lb and evan williams sb. . .

on my second half-pour of wt lb. . .

if you are a bourbon drinker and want to stretch your legs out a bit, it's definitely worth a try. it's a pretty big mouthful--the smoke is not as subtle as i thought it would be--it is nice. . .smokey but not peaty--you're not chewing it. it just kind of envelops the mouth and has a long finish. . .it is spicier and more interesting than hw campfire. . .it has a lot less punch (of course) than wt101. . .it's pretty alcohol-forward on the nose. . .if new to bourbon, stick to the bt on sale. . .if coming from islay and into bourbon, this would be an interesting gateway bottle, lol. . .

i drink everything neat below 60%, and this will be a great sipper to sit with over time. . .a pretty interesting dram for only 43abv

nice bottle for the sale price. . .
Sep 10, 2007
215 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
Can confirm that the 1.75L Buffalo Trace is 64.99 + GST at Costco in Alberta. Drinking some as we speak Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

It's good and I even mix it with Coke Zero because I'm not a damn savage lol
Mortgage Expert - DLC Kardia Mortgage
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6093 posts
3622 upvotes
Ottawa
afong636807717107645200 wrote: picked up a bottle of wt lb and evan williams sb. . .

on my second half-pour of wt lb. . .

if you are a bourbon drinker and want to stretch your legs out a bit, it's definitely worth a try. it's a pretty big mouthful--the smoke is not as subtle as i thought it would be--it is nice. . .smokey but not peaty--you're not chewing it. it just kind of envelops the mouth and has a long finish. . .it is spicier and more interesting than hw campfire. . .it has a lot less punch (of course) than wt101. . .it's pretty alcohol-forward on the nose. . .if new to bourbon, stick to the bt on sale. . .if coming from islay and into bourbon, this would be an interesting gateway bottle, lol. . .

i drink everything neat below 60%, and this will be a great sipper to sit with over time. . .a pretty interesting dram for only 43abv

nice bottle for the sale price. . .
Great description - I agree with every word. Try two or three drops of distilled water in the LB if you haven't already.
Jan 13, 2016
109 posts
197 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Buffalo Trace has gotten expensive! Wow. We used it when I was an F&B Director in Nashville for a banquet bourbon for mid-level price and it was maybe $16ish a bottle? This was just a few years ago.

And the other product by Wild Turkey is not a bourbon. They start with Wild Turkey bourbon whiskey but once it's adulterated, it's not bourbon any longer.
Dollar Stores 4 LIFE~!
Sep 30, 2019
148 posts
176 upvotes
matthewtravels wrote: Buffalo Trace has gotten expensive! Wow. We used it when I was an F&B Director in Nashville for a banquet bourbon for mid-level price and it was maybe $16ish a bottle? This was just a few years ago.

And the other product by Wild Turkey is not a bourbon. They start with Wild Turkey bourbon whiskey but once it's adulterated, it's not bourbon any longer.
bt in the states is still around $20-25usd, i'm sure in some places it's less. . .like most things, they are cheaper where they are produced. . .

as for wt lb, it is still technically and legally a bourbon, as it meets all of the requirements--it is still aged in new oak. . .the charcoal "refined" aspect is after it comes out of the barrel. . .it's the same mashbill as most wt, and i don't think the russells would put their name on a bottle of bourbon and claim it as such, if it was not. they would have had to change the labelling years ago if it didn't meet those criteria, iirc. . .
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3020 posts
1294 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Don't really understand the love or hype for Buffalo Trace -- on the same level as Bulleit or Four Roses but more expensive.
Nov 10, 2013
401 posts
337 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
djdestroyer wrote: Don't really understand the love or hype for Buffalo Trace -- on the same level as Bulleit or Four Roses but more expensive.
I finally gave into the hype and bought a bottle of BT. I am NOT impressed - very sharp, not aged enough, too much sh1t (congeners) in it.
I'd prefer decent rye in the same price, bourbon prices have gone crazy. I used to buy Makers at $37, can't even find it now.
Nov 10, 2013
401 posts
337 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
markust5775 wrote: I'm not really a big fan of Maker's Mark, I'd rather go with a Blanton's in that price range. MM used to be much cheaper.
Blanton is OOO for months now in ON
Mar 24, 2015
407 posts
259 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
gobseck wrote: Blanton is OOO for months now in ON
Oh, really? I bought a bunch of bottles awhile back, so haven't had to look.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4119 posts
1617 upvotes
Ottawa
thelasthunter wrote: Yeah, that Buffalo is nice and all. But non-bourbon drinkers need to know that Wild Turkey 101 can stomp all over those buffalo balls for many. If you like vanilla, light fruit, wood, and balanced flavors, buffalo is great. If you like darker fruits, raisins, buffalos on steroids, turkey 101 is your dram. Try them, both are wonderful. Don't mix them at first with anything aggressive. Just add some teaspoons of filtered water to cut it down. They open up with simple water and you get more vanilla, oak and honey flavours in return for your trouble. Nuts, good chocolate, aged cheeses will take you to flavour Nirvana with these.
this sounds very... subjective