LCBO "sale" on two very good bourbons

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2021 4:11 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4133 posts
1618 upvotes
Ottawa
afong636807717107645200 wrote: perhaps unrelated, but whiskey sale pertinent---if you're already splashing on whiskey and want to go over to the dark side of islay scotch:

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... LjDU6hKjIU

$5 off until 20 june. . .laphroaig quarter cask

coming from bourbon, this will be a softer entry than regular laphroaig 10, or ardbeg. . .
@CaptSmethwick thoughts?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6102 posts
3628 upvotes
Ottawa
john.canad wrote: @CaptSmethwick thoughts?
Really can't comment definitively. I had this once but it was a loooong time ago - I do recall that it's definitely a Laphroaig insofar as the smokey finish is very evident; although on this one, it doesn't seem to dominate quite like it does on their 10 year old, allowing other flavours to be detected and even enjoyed. I always drink Laphroaigs neat with a few drops of distilled water as I find that the other flavours benefit from that.

Laphroaigs are drinks (for me) when I have a very particular mood and so I don't buy them as often - more of a Lagavulin 16 y.o. guy. But whenever a Laphroaig finds its way into Casa Smethwick, the bottles do seem to empty somewhat mysteriously so either they really are good or they evaporate through the bung.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6102 posts
3628 upvotes
Ottawa
This sales cycle doesn't have much that interests me. Basil Hayden is $5 off at $50.30. It's quite a decent bourbon but I think there are better ones at that price.
Mar 25, 2017
194 posts
285 upvotes
GTA
As someone who doesn’t drink bourbon/whiskey I decided to give this a try as I saw this at my local LCBO while check out and remembered the description in this post. Both myself and the others I offered it to to drink did not like it straight. It’s probably because we don’t have the pallet for it but I would not recommend this to someone.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to mix this with? I don’t prefer mixing with coke.
Dec 12, 2020
113 posts
48 upvotes
neroses wrote: As someone who doesn’t drink bourbon/whiskey I decided to give this a try as I saw this at my local LCBO while check out and remembered the description in this post. Both myself and the others I offered it to to drink did not like it straight. It’s probably because we don’t have the pallet for it but I would not recommend this to someone.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to mix this with? I don’t prefer mixing with coke.
3-4 drops of Angostura bitters (no frills carry them) + little brown sugar+ Bourbon+ ice
Jul 6, 2006
107 posts
44 upvotes
Peakyblinder407 wrote: 3-4 drops of Angostura bitters (no frills carry them) + little brown sugar+ Bourbon+ ice
Similar but a "more" Canadian version - Bourbon or Rye works well. Use Orange flavoured bitters (Top Shelf (Canadian producer) if you wish - I got mine at Metro.
Mar 25, 2017
194 posts
285 upvotes
GTA
Thanks I will give these two recipes a try

Do you guys ever chill the bourbon in the fridge?
Dec 12, 2020
113 posts
48 upvotes
neroses wrote: Thanks I will give these two recipes a try

Do you guys ever chill the bourbon in the fridge?
Nope. I bought those big square ice trays from $store which does the job. I just add a few drops of water and then let the ice do chilling. Cheers..
Ps: on my way to kitchen now