Expired Hot Deals

[LCBO] Some very fine bourbons "on sale" at the LCBO (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2021 10:07 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5634 posts
3220 upvotes
Ottawa

[LCBO] Some very fine bourbons "on sale" at the LCBO (Ontario)

I only post sale prices for bourbons or whiskies that I will (a) drink and (b) recommend. These four fit those two criteria:

First up: Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select Bourbon. $47.25 (only $3 off but a deal is a deal). Woodford's Reserve has a high percentage of rye and (unusually for bourbon) is triple distilled. The result is a creamy, not-harsh bourbon that is as good neat as it is over ice or in your favourite bourbon-based mixed drink. Normally, Buffalo Trace is my go-to bourbon (as it's regular price is a steal) but I do consider WR to be a step up.

Next: Maker's Mark Kentucky Bourbon $39.25 ($4 off). Maker's Mark used to be my go-to before I found out about Buffalo Trace and, because BT plays funny games in how they supply retailers, MM is a frequent flyer in Casa Smethwick. A little bit more wheat in this mix than most bourbons I know but that might be why this is a soft, easy-drinking bourbon with a nice and full "mouth feel". Goes well neat, or over ice. I do not recall using MM in a mixed drink but I am sure that it would not disappoint.

Number 3: Knob Creek Small Batch Bourbon $44.95 ($5 off) Okay, well, this one is 100 proof, is very flavourful and stands up extraordinarily well in a mixed drink. To be honest, this is not my favourite sipping bourbon but it's decent in that role; still, I find it very very good over ice or in a mint julep.

And in the "last but not least" category, there's Woodford Reserve Double-Oaked ($65.25 after $5 off). Now, this is one of the better sipping bourbons - more about flavour than overpowering you. I like it a lot but you're getting up into some decent single malt scotch budget range and my palate struggles to find the interest in this to justify buying this over, say, Blantons, or a Glenmorangie (if I want to go the scotch route). Still, this is a "treat yourself" bourbon and you can't go wrong.

Bottoms up!
69 replies
Sep 18, 2019
20 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks for the post! Might pick one of these up.

How do you feel about Bulleit?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1775 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto
How do you guys usually drink your bourbons?
Sep 28, 2008
500 posts
323 upvotes
Maker's used to be cheaper and it's really good mixed with coke. I just stick to Canadian whisky now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5634 posts
3220 upvotes
Ottawa
bluewanderer wrote: Thanks for the post! Might pick one of these up.

Bulleit is pretty decent. Any of the above bourbons are either more versatile or more interesting (or both). Of bourbons at the $40 price point, I would take Buffalo Trace over Bulleit Frontier but that doesn't mean that Bulleit is not good; it's more that BT is a bargain for its quality.
DimsumDeals wrote: How do you guys usually drink your bourbons?
Neat or over ice - in the same way I would savour a good scotch or irish whiskey. On a hot summer late afternoon or evening, in a mint julep (I grow mint just for the mojitos and the juleps).
Nov 15, 2005
99 posts
15 upvotes
The woodford reserve double oak i drink neat. its fantastically smooth.

The regular woodford reserve, i need ice.
Jun 17, 2003
690 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
On the rocks.
A whisky sour is a great drink, especially in summer, but like any mixed cocktail, no need to use these nicer sipping whiskies.
Jun 17, 2003
690 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
The one thing I'd add to the OP's tasting notes is that Maker's, in my opinion, is the sweetest. Not too sweet, but notably sweeter than the other contenders.
Which I think is why, after almost 30 years of dabbling with other bourbons (and receiving fancier ones as well-intentioned gifts), I always come home to Maker's.
Apr 1, 2009
294 posts
102 upvotes
GTA
All these are great, with Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select being my COVID drink and in a tight race with Knob Creek for my regular drink.
As @bojacks said, with 1 large cube of ice except the double barrel, which is better neat and ice will just dilute it.
bluewanderer wrote:
Good “frontier whisky”! I would pick Bulleit over Jack Daniels and Jim Beam anytime, but there are better ones around its price. It was great pick when it was $23 (no time machine, unfortunately). I haven’t tried the cask strength, though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5634 posts
3220 upvotes
Ottawa
Olbi wrote: All these are great, with Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select being my COVID drink and in a tight race with Knob Creek for my regular drink.

As @bojacks said, with 1 large cube of ice except the double barrel, which is better neat and ice will just dilute it.

Good “frontier whisky”! I would pick Bulleit over Jack Daniels and Jim Beam anytime, but there are better ones around its price. It was great pick when it was $23 (no time machine, unfortunately). I haven’t tried the cask strength, though.
Even the Double Oaked shows a warmer and more complex side with a couple of drops of room temperature, filtered water. Agreed that ice is a no-go.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3118 posts
1205 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I always try neat and with ice to check which one is better for my taste.
Mar 26, 2004
395 posts
295 upvotes
Oakville
Usually with my mouth an enema is not really recommended
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1172 posts
942 upvotes
Airdrie
No offence to the OP, we all have different tastes, I'm personally not a fan of the bourbons mentioned up top. I am a fan of Bookers, Bakers, WT Rare Breed, WT Longbranch, Old Forester Prohibition... I really like high corn content, I think all the ones I listed are at least 70% corn in the mash, again personal preference. I also see the ones I listed are very expensive at the LCBO (although Blanton's is a heck of a lot cheaper than Alberta at $69). Odd how pricing varies so much across the country.

I would recommend this bourbon which is also on sale and reasonably priced at LCBO:
Larceny Kentucky Straight Bourbon
750 mL bottle | LCBO#: 512194
$41.95
$44.95 Save $3.00
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5634 posts
3220 upvotes
Ottawa
mcwilly wrote: No offence to the OP, we all have different tastes, I'm personally not a fan of the bourbons mentioned up top. I am a fan of Bookers, Bakers, WT Rare Breed, WT Longbranch, Old Forester Prohibition... I really like high corn content, I think all the ones I listed are at least 70% corn in the mash, again personal preference. I also see the ones I listed are very expensive at the LCBO (although Blanton's is a heck of a lot cheaper than Alberta at $69). Odd how pricing varies so much across the country.

I would recommend this bourbon which is also on sale and reasonably priced at LCBO:
Larceny Kentucky Straight Bourbon
750 mL bottle | LCBO#: 512194
$41.95
$44.95 Save $3.00
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg
I am a huge fan of WT Longbranch (which is alright alright alright) but it is not frequently seen on the shelves here. That is one amazing sipper of a bourbon. As you say, we all have different palates. Fortunately, Blanton's does show up at local stores from time to time.
Apr 1, 2009
294 posts
102 upvotes
GTA
CaptSmethwick wrote: Even the Double Oaked shows a warmer and more complex side with a couple of drops of room temperature, filtered water. Agreed that ice is a no-go.
True, couple of drops will open the taste. I used to show my friends the difference in taste by adding a single drop of water with a dropper. The effect is much more pronounced with scotch whisky, but is there on bourbons too.

I should add to my comment about the ice: one large cube, not two small ones. It will dissolve much slower and will cool the drink and the glass. Also, don’t “reuse it”, just add a new cube if you pour a second one!

Now I need a drink! Cheers!🥃Grinning Face