Seen at lcbo Summerhill. One left at time of posting
Images
  • 20200122_173623.jpg
28 replies
Jun 17, 2003
628 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
Just for clarity: this is Irish whisky, not Scotch.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5543 posts
5644 upvotes
Toronto
Just for clarity: this is Irish whiskey, not Irish whisky.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8033 posts
4254 upvotes
ON
andjules wrote: Just for clarity: this is Irish whisky, not Scotch.
Why would anyone think it was scotch ? And if they did, why would they care ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8033 posts
4254 upvotes
ON
hoob wrote: Just for clarity: this is Irish whiskey, not Irish whisky.
Yeah, it says so right on the can, and it is embossed I believe for the visually impaired...
Jun 17, 2003
628 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
dilligafeh wrote: Why would anyone think it was scotch ? And if they did, why would they care ?
The norm/best practice is to identify what type of whisky you're talking about (scotch/irish/rye/canadian/bourbon/etc).
However, in the event you don't specify, but you do go out of your way to say "single malt", I think you'll find most people will assume you're talking scotch (especially if the list price is $100, and even if, technically, that doesn't mean it is scotch)
Sep 21, 2008
476 posts
433 upvotes
Because, despite the fact that it may be silly, the mast majority of Canadians who see "Single Malt 10 year" immediately think of Scotch.

So it's nice that somebody took the time to clarify for the uninformed - it might be useful to somebody....Unlike your comment which couldn't possibly be construed as useful to anybody.

dilligafeh wrote: Why would anyone think it was scotch ? And if they did, why would they care ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8033 posts
4254 upvotes
ON
buriboi wrote: Because, despite the fact that it may be silly, the mast majority of Canadians who see "Single Malt 10 year" immediately think of Scotch.

So it's nice that somebody took the time to clarify for the uninformed - it might be useful to somebody....Unlike your comment which couldn't possibly be construed as useful to anybody.
^^^^^The post above was originally by user "buriboi" and quoted by me^^^^ just clarifying in case he thinks I stole his genius.

Clarify what ? They couldn't have made it any clearer in the packaging what this is. The OP posted a picture of it showing as much. If you needed clarification, maybe you should lay off what you've been drinking instead of being the defender of all that is useless.
Last edited by dilligafeh on Jan 23rd, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8033 posts
4254 upvotes
ON
andjules wrote: The norm/best practice is to identify what type of whisky you're talking about (scotch/irish/rye/canadian/bourbon/etc).
However, in the event you don't specify, but you do go out of your way to say "single malt", I think you'll find most people will assume you're talking scotch (especially if the list price is $100, and even if, technically, that doesn't mean it is scotch)
OP included a picture that's clear as day showing what this is. Don't see the need for anything else. Maybe you're assuming that people will assume this is scotch, and if you go down that road might as well list everything else this isn't , just to make sure nobody gets the wrong idea.
Sep 21, 2008
476 posts
433 upvotes
Clarify that it was Irish Whiskey and not Scotch.

If it helped one ill-informed person who didn't click on the picture (I certainly didn't, but I know it's not Scotch), then it's useful. I suspect, in a forum of thousands, at least one person read that post and said "oh...it's not Scotch!"

If you found it fully non-useful, you should have just moved on, no?

Anyhow, that's enough keystrokes from me. No need to discuss further - I appreciate that he was willing to help anybody who didn't know. Thanks!

dilligafeh wrote: Clarify what ? They couldn't have made it any clearer in the packaging what this is. The OP posted a picture of it showing as much. If you needed clarification, maybe you should lay off what you've been drinking instead of being the defender of all that is useless.
Dec 23, 2015
922 posts
1107 upvotes
Not enough time to read every post in detail or look to see if the picture of the product confirms one's initial bias?