Home & Garden

Lead water pipes replacement (Toronto)

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2022 11:36 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 18, 2017
22 posts
64 upvotes

Lead water pipes replacement (Toronto)

Hi all. I own an old home from the 1950. I contacted 311 and they had no record whether the main water line had been replaced so suggested I likely have lead pipes and would be eligible for their lead replacement program. I had the city contractor (Utility Force) come to visit the home for a quote and I was shocked. They quoted me $13k + HST to replace just my portion (ie from the city main line to the meter inside my house). The distance is approx 45 feet, replacement line would be 3/4 inches. They would torpedo from the side of my house to the main water line. Does this quote make sense? I’ve read up on this forums and people have quoted 3-5k on average, but haven’t tracked the distances involved. Thanks in advance.
7 replies
Newbie
Aug 30, 2008
98 posts
78 upvotes
Thornhill
Hire a plumber to do the private side and leave Utility Force to do the city side. The prices might be jacked because they don't want to do it but you also have a pretty long run.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4012 posts
3877 upvotes
Toronto
The 3-5 thousand is for much shorter runs, that price you were quoted seems within the ball park but as always get a couple of quotes. Prices have also gone up considerably over the last few years not only in labour but also material.

There are a few threads I've contributed to as well as others with the names and numbers of plumbers that perform this kind of work reach out to them and get yourself a quote.
Newbie
May 26, 2022
71 posts
43 upvotes
I believe the city will replace their side for free and then you can pay extra from the same contractor to do the rest to your home. It may be much cheaper. I would get a price from the city to inquire
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6916 posts
5833 upvotes
IslandManGTA wrote: I believe the city will replace their side for free and then you can pay extra from the same contractor to do the rest to your home. It may be much cheaper. I would get a price from the city to inquire
Unless they're replacing the entire street, the city only does their side once the homeowner does their side - they don't act first.

@DealSeeker91 These guys did our side, highly recommended: https://masterdrain.ca/ Vitaliy is the owner's name, I think.. They took care of everything and did a backwater valve for us as well at the same time.

Let them do your section and let the city will handle the city side in the spring. I remember the city contractor was double or triple Vitaliy's price for our side. Price was $2k (included jackhammering and hand digging a 4x2 hole in our driveway), pre-covid, obviously.

I can't see yours being much more.. just pay for more copper - they simply torpedo the pipe - not like they have to dig a bigger hole.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
13216 posts
4826 upvotes
Ontario
I know when I got mine done a few years ago. our service and the neighbors service were shared lead pipe. Our side to our home had already been done in the past so when the city came in to do their side the same company also did my neighbors side from the city all the way into the house. I think they paid around $3-4k I believe.
hvc wrote: Unless they're replacing the entire street, the city only does their side once the homeowner does their side - they don't act first.

@DealSeeker91 These guys did our side, highly recommended: https://masterdrain.ca/ Vitaliy is the owner's name, I think.. They took care of everything and did a backwater valve for us as well at the same time.

Let them do your section and let the city will handle the city side in the spring. I remember the city contractor was double or triple Vitaliy's price for our side. Price was $2k (included jackhammering and hand digging a 4x2 hole in our driveway), pre-covid, obviously.

I can't see yours being much more.. just pay for more copper - they simply torpedo the pipe - not like they have to dig a bigger hole.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4723 posts
4223 upvotes
Toronto
DealSeeker91 wrote: I likely have lead pipes and would be eligible for their lead replacement program
Have you confirmed that you do in fact have a lead supply line? You should be able to confirm this from the inside of your house I would think.

I've never seen a lead supply, but I can clearly see the copper supply line coming through my foundation wall feeding into my water meter.

And yeah, a city contractor is going to quote you city rates. They gouge municipalities. Find your own plumbers and get quotes.

FWIW I used Drain Works to do some under-slab drain work at my place 12 years ago and was very pleased overall with the work and price. They advertise water service upgrades on their site - I'd give them a call.

https://www.drainworks.com/plumbing-ser ... e-upgrades
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4012 posts
3877 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: Have you confirmed that you do in fact have a lead supply line? You should be able to confirm this from the inside of your house I would think.

I've never seen a lead supply, but I can clearly see the copper supply line coming through my foundation wall feeding into my water meter.

And yeah, a city contractor is going to quote you city rates. They gouge municipalities. Find your own plumbers and get quotes.


FWIW I used Drain Works to do some under-slab drain work at my place 12 years ago and was very pleased overall with the work and price. They advertise water service upgrades on their site - I'd give them a call.

https://www.drainworks.com/plumbing-ser ... e-upgrades
You should be able to see the material at the entry point but that isn't always the case as sometimes you've got a compression fitting or transition that is in the wall or floor.

Price gouging isn't usually the case as we already have everything open so it doesn't cost us that much more to do the work seeing as we are already charging the city for the bulk portion of opening the ground (running a hydrovac truck and crew isn't cheap), with that said the reason I've decided to stop doing work on the home owners side was just that sort of thinking, also home owners were notorious for trying to not pay agreed upon quotes after the job was done and putting a lien on their home is more trouble than its worth for me.

Top