• Aug 8th, 2018 2:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6697 posts
6280 upvotes

leaf blower...worth it?

I'm a fan of doing things the old fashion way (mostly because I don't like unnecessary crap when I'm perfectly capable of doing it, and also for the exercise) but I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a leaf blower vs. raking. I have a huge lawn and LOTS of trees. I would still have to contend with picking up the leaves but at least piling them together might be a bit easier. Last year, I couldn't keep up with all the leaves on the driveway and backyard. I cleaned up the remaining leaves in the spring. For those of you who have one, do you actually use it? Is it worth? Maybe I can pick one up of Kiiji
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8048 posts
6582 upvotes
Ottawa
What do you mean by "huge". I live on a 2 1/2 acre lot with several hundred deciduous trees and I have this unit:

Stihl BR600

This has absolutely transformed my fall leaf removal ritual.
Mar 15, 2005
849 posts
783 upvotes
I use both my blower and rake. I find the blower works much better on the driveway and walkway / garden than the rake. One advantage my leaf blower has is the ability to also suck and grind leaves. Once the leaves ground up i only use about 1/4 the amount of bags i would have otherwise used.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5080 posts
1495 upvotes
Kitchener
You can also use the leaf blower to clear light snow
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6035 posts
1405 upvotes
rural ontario
lawn mower with cutting catcher, catches leaves well to. cut whenever a good accumulation of leaves falls, but not too much.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25481 posts
15309 upvotes
Toronto
A leaf blow is worth its weight in gold. I have big a big locust tree to contend with. Those tiny leaves cannot be raked, only the blower works.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7738 posts
1628 upvotes
Get a good one that you can use in the winter for snow and dry your car after a wash in the summer.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7305 upvotes
Paris
Drthorne wrote: You can also use the leaf blower to clear light snow
And dry motorcycles/cars/strollers that got wet when washing cars and you are in big trouble...

I have a 40v leaf blower, trimmer add on leaf blower/vac. And stand alone gas power blower vac (we used to live country and used the gas one to pick up pine cones). I would 100% NOT get a gas or electric one. Even a lower end battery one is 1000% more useable on a smaller lot than an electric. I use mine mostly to get leaves from around the deck, up against the fence etc and use the vac to get some of that stuff too (powered by a 40v trimmer head). I still rake too.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6697 posts
6280 upvotes
Thanks everyone - sold me.

I found a Toro Super Blower Vac (51618) on Kijiji that I'm planning on getting - it is electric but so are almost all my other outdoor gadgets (except lawn). Got a LONG extension cord
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1224 posts
838 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I have a large backyard with 7 large oak trees and numerous other small trees so lots of leaves to contend with.. I go over them with the lawnmower in mulch mode, then I go over it again with the bag on the mower. That way they basically get a double chopping and you don't have to empty the lawnmower bag near as often as just going over them once with the bag on. You can get roughly 3, maybe 4 times the amount of leaves into one clear plastic leaf bag that way and it's a lot less painful than raking or using a leaf blower.. However I do have a leaf blower for getting the leaves out from under bushes and corners etc. .. I've had a few over the years and by far the best one of the gas type are the Stihl models. With the others they were always hard to start, finicky etc.. I noticed over a couple of years all my neighbors had Stihl leaf blowers and never had problems so that's why I bought it.. no regrets.. worth every penny. That being said, if you have a smaller urban/suburban yard without many trees and obstacles to snag the cord an electric is probably the way to go.
Apr 8, 2010
802 posts
455 upvotes
toronto
if you don't have a shopvac might be worth while to take a look at a shopvac that can convert to a leaf blower
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
939 upvotes
Newmarket
discoblues wrote: I use both my blower and rake. I find the blower works much better on the driveway and walkway / garden than the rake. One advantage my leaf blower has is the ability to also suck and grind leaves. Once the leaves ground up i only use about 1/4 the amount of bags i would have otherwise used.
This is what I do, I vacuum the leaves instead of blowing, once ground up I compost them. Works great for small properties. So another vote for leaf blower, but with vacuum capabilities.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6697 posts
6280 upvotes
denti72 wrote: if you don't have a shopvac might be worth while to take a look at a shopvac that can convert to a leaf blower
Thanks for the tip - I see a couple on Kijiji for sale.

Edit: it seems the vacuum ones that are big and heavy, don't think that will really work moving/rolling on the lawn. Need something I can easily carry, no?
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
939 upvotes
Newmarket
Jazmina wrote: Thanks for the tip - I see a couple on Kijiji for sale.

Edit: it seems the vacuum ones that are big and heavy, don't think that will really work moving/rolling on the lawn. Need something I can easily carry, no?
No, they are light as well depending on the model.
I have one like this or similar
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.ultr ... 33576.html
The only issue is the bag fills up quickly, but for small properties is not that big of a deal.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7738 posts
1628 upvotes
I tried the toro plug in last year and had to return it, not much power for that one.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
939 upvotes
Newmarket
hdom wrote: I tried the toro plug in last year and had to return it, not much power for that one.
the one I have will blow small pebbles if I set on full power, not just leaves, not sure the exact model but looks similar, plenty enough for me.