Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 9:35 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
Interesting signing and it definitely adds grit... hopefully he gels on a line and it doesn’t just feel like a square peg / round hole situation. Having Kyle Clifford never really seemed to gel overall... ideally we end up with skill players who ALSO have some grit. Marner will never be that. Matthews does not play that way, and with his injury history we probably don’t want h8m playing to physical... Nylander could choose to up his physical game, but i doubt he will. You look at the Boston stars and you can see they bring that added element to their game and it makes a big difference.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
3427 posts
1901 upvotes
Montreal, QC
so the Leafs just signed Brodie to a 5M yearly contract (4 years), puts them over the cap by a shade over 1M which is the salary retained in the Kessel trade
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
sumtimw0ng wrote: so the Leafs just signed Brodie to a 5M yearly contract (4 years), puts them over the cap by a shade over 1M which is the salary retained in the Kessel trade
Could Rielly finally have a stable linemate?
Plenty of time to figure out how to trim, as we are allowed to be 10% over the cap during off season.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes
sumtimw0ng wrote: so the Leafs just signed Brodie to a 5M yearly contract (4 years), puts them over the cap by a shade over 1M which is the salary retained in the Kessel trade
He kept his word:

https://streamable.com/2868nu
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
iamskyhigh wrote: Who's this?
Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson. Anderson's a RFA so it seems like pure cap dump
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson. Anderson's a RFA so it seems like pure cap dump
we gave up talent. too bad
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
I have no idea what to think of this, millions for Brodie and now Bogosian. We going backwards? maybe this works out (?)

The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed defenseman Zach Bogosian to a one-year contract worth $1 million, the team announced Saturday.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3612 posts
115 upvotes
GTA
Nice. Zach Bogosian is a champion. Too bad Schenn re-signed or he could have provided the same experience to the original team that drafted him.
blexann wrote: The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed defenseman Zach Bogosian to a one-year contract worth $1 million, the team announced Saturday.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote: I have no idea what to think of this, millions for Brodie and now Bogosian. We going backwards? maybe this works out (?)

The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed defenseman Zach Bogosian to a one-year contract worth $1 million, the team announced Saturday.
Definite upgrade from Barry and Ceci.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Definite upgrade from Barry and Ceci.
Remember how excited everyone was when we got Barrie? Let's wait and see how they do
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote: Remember how excited everyone was when we got Barrie? Let's wait and see how they do
So true.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3612 posts
115 upvotes
GTA
Joey Anderson, as the captain, won the bronze in the 2017-2018 WJC. Interesting to see how he fares under the Leafs organization.
Dave98 wrote: Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson. Anderson's a RFA so it seems like pure cap dump
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6256 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
Toronto Maple Laffs sign Zach Bogosian to a one year deal.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: Remember how excited everyone was when we got Barrie? Let's wait and see how they do
Geez - what's next - no such thing as Santa Claus?
The off season is the time Leaf fans can dream and hope, lol.

In theory, I like the small parts tinkering so far. Considering we are fairly committed to our big guns (unlikely to get worthy returns by trade), best to shake up everything else. As much as I want Anderson gone, I would not trade him for nothing. With so much unknown about next season, perhaps a Covid deprived team (financially) with cap room will offer something really good for the peanuts he will be paid this final season?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
These are good moves on paper as it shuffles some pieces around to hopefully address areas the team was lacking. Overall, we are still rolling with the same core that doesn't play physical, and I worry the grit doesn't organically blend in with the team's identity. You really need to have some of your top players personify grit, not just have it buried on the third and fourth lines.

However, considering where they were starting from, and the economic realities right now... these are good moves and we won't be rolling out the same-old, same-old next year. I like the way the top 2 defence lines stack up better now. I also don't feel we have lost a ton with the forwards (the big step back rally happened last season with Kadri gone... and even before that when we lost the Bozak/Van Reims depth). We can't spread it 3 lines deep with our cap situation, not with out some serious luck and internal min salary pieces - which we don't seem to have any top notch gold to mine in that department.

We will need to see if the team can redefine themselves a bit during the regular season and truly be harder to play against. I just don't see how our top 2 lines develop that identity... tight checking and physical lines have shown they can lock down our top lines... The fate of the team really does seem to be in how our big 4 and their lines choose to show and play next year. One thing I would definitely do is put Tavares back on front of net duty like he was our first year. He seems to be losing a bit in other areas, but he still has quick hands and his first season he did a great job establishing a presence in front of the net and got a lot of points cleaning up the on second/third efforts (as the first shot/effort seems to rarely result in the goal, especially in the playoffs when things are tight).

Rolling with Freddie is fine with me... the cap situation isn't going anywhere fast, so our biggest concern becomes the reality that Dubas may need to keep doing this tightrope act for a couple more seasons at least... and it will impact some prime years for our young core and will definitely hinder the overall level of the team. Dubas stretched badly (more than any other team) with his top 4 contracts, and clearly was counting on the cap rising in nice amounts to be able to build around them during the peak "win now" years... and now he won't get that extra cap room to fill out the roster and is stuck with that core and whatever he cobbles together around it... not impossible, but much harder and limiting. Freddie seems to be almost certainly gone after this season simply due to budget math... but we will have to see... every off season will be very interesting for this team for years to come...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2639 upvotes
Toronto
Taylor Hall signs 1 yr/$8 million with Buffalo.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)