Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2020): BlessRNG Holy Grail BlessRNG

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 1:53 pm
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
10839 posts
5906 upvotes
Markham
yesstyle wrote: Leafs is signing joe thornton?
WTH is it with Leafs signing old guys on their last legs - Marleau -> Spazza -> Thorn"inmyarse? Actually Marleau had a purpose as he baby sat when the kids were growing up.

If we wanted old, we could have taken on the big contract of Milan Lucic -> at least we wouldn't have to worry as much when opposing teams try and pick on our skill players.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1897 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
bobcat99 wrote: They did not. They won the qualifier.
Ya something the Leafs couldn't do.

The NHL also said the qualifying rounds count as playoffs.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
10839 posts
5906 upvotes
Markham
bobcat99 wrote: James Reimer and Jake Gardiner. Different team, same results. Canes up 2-0, lose 4-3.
IMO Bruins are the toughest opponent in any playoffs - the Leafs know that better than any team. Those guys [Marchment and Chara etc] never tap out. They play hard and they're willing to dish out pain over and over and over again. This is playoff hockey. If you can't hit with them and avoid penalties at the same time you're done.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6115 posts
1400 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gr8dlr wrote: WTH is it with Leafs signing old guys on their last legs - Marleau -> Spazza -> Thorn"inmyarse? Actually Marleau had a purpose as he baby sat when the kids were growing up.

If we wanted old, we could have taken on the big contract of Milan Lucic -> at least we wouldn't have to worry as much when opposing teams try and pick on our skill players.
If this rumor is true then gm gotta go
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13061 posts
7132 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: WTH is it with Leafs signing old guys on their last legs - Marleau -> Spazza -> Thorn"inmyarse? Actually Marleau had a purpose as he baby sat when the kids were growing up.

If we wanted old, we could have taken on the big contract of Milan Lucic -> at least we wouldn't have to worry as much when opposing teams try and pick on our skill players.
Spezza and Thornton will be on veteran minimum deals ($1-2M per).

Lucic makes $6m + per year. That's a horrible contract nobody would want and the Leafs have no cap space.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/milan-lucic
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1897 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
Swerny wrote: Spezza and Thornton will be on veteran minimum deals ($1-2M per).

Lucic makes $6m + per year. That's a horrible contract nobody would want and the Leafs have no cap space.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/milan-lucic
Meh, he's done better than most of the Leafs in the Playoffs. Lucic puts it into another gear in the Playoffs, something the Leafs cannot do.

I'd rather have Lucic in Game 7 than Nylander.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
20021 posts
2832 upvotes
Niagara Falls
gr8dlr wrote: IMO Bruins are the toughest opponent in any playoffs - the Leafs know that better than any team. Those guys [Marchment and Chara etc] never tap out. They play hard and they're willing to dish out pain over and over and over again. This is playoff hockey. If you can't hit with them and avoid penalties at the same time you're done.
They only avoid penalties because for some un-explained reason the league stops calling penalties in the playoffs. They're so afraid of making the wrong call the entire game devolves into interference, hooking and slashing. Hockey can still be hard hitting and physical with penalties called, just call the damn penalties and let the players adjust.

Until that happens, might as well do whatever you're allowed to get away with.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2038 upvotes
Toronto
*
So stop me if you've heard this one....

An Ostrich and a Troll walk into a Leafs forum thread.
One who lacks grit sticks his head in the sand to hide from things that hurt, like words, while the other repeatedly tries lighting flame wars over and over and over.
No need for situational or punchline setup.
Both are jokes in and of themselves....
Wakka-wakka-wakka!
gr8dlr wrote: WTH is it with Leafs signing old guys on their last legs - Marleau -> Spazza -> Thorn"inmyarse? Actually Marleau had a purpose as he baby sat when the kids were growing up.
C'mon - you have to be completely blind to compare the Marleau and Spezza contracts, and close out with the Marleau one having a purpose.
The Marleau contract was hands down the stupidest contract Lou gave out while with the Leafs.
The Spezza contract, for league minimum, for 1 year, was a steal. No sane person believes the Leafs were hosed on this one.
While I don't want a team stacked with old guys, having a few (with deeper playoff experience) would be an asset, especially if obtained for peanuts.
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 19th, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 3, 2005
4003 posts
431 upvotes
Georgetown
https://editorinleaf.com/2020/03/30/tor ... offseason/

Not saying I think Thornton would be a "great" signing, but if they get him for cheap, he does add a different element to the team. Maybe they give him Spezza's slot... The above article points out what he brings to the game - and the Leafs are lacking it! Interestingly, it was written 4 months ago...

I grew up in the same city as Joe and remember seeing him as a little kid (I knew one of his brothers). Very tall family! LOL

I honestly don't think signing Joe is worth a second thought. If he'll play for cheap, that's exactly what we need. Do you want a kid, or an experienced vet who has #1 pick in the draft level talent still in him (but diluted by age). Having a vet or two - as long as they can gel with the other players and system - is not a bad thing.

But... Joe or a cheap kid... not our main concern or issue. As long as it doesn't use up our cap space... it's just filler around the core and we still have holes to address (D).
Last edited by Tiberius on Aug 18th, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1897 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
shikotee wrote: *
So stop me if you've heard this one....

An Ostrich and a Troll walk into a Leafs forum thread.
One who lacks grit sticks his head in the sand to hide from things that hurt, like words, while the other repeatedly tries lighting flame wars over and over and over.
No need for situational or punchline setup.
Both are jokes in and of themselves....
Wakka-wakka-wakka!



C'mon - you have to be completely blind to compare the Marleau and Spezza contracts, and close out with the Marleau one having a purpose.
The Marleau contract was hands down the stupidest contract Lou gave out while with the Leafs.
The Spezza contract, for league minimum, for 1 year, was a steal. No sane person believes the Leafs were hosed on this one.
While I don't want a team stacked with old guys, having a few (with deeper playoff experience) would be an asset, especially if obtained for peanuts.
*

Sorry to say, but your team isn't going anywhere in it's current condition. The truth/reality hurts my friend.
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 19th, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2038 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote: *

Sorry to say, but your team isn't going anywhere in it's current condition. The truth/reality hurts my friend.

*

I very much agree - the current composition of the team is a mess.
Nowhere have I been stating that we need to resign all the players who are leaving after this season.
What I am less certain about is what needs to be done to change things.

Like yourself, I think a change between the pipes is needed.
I'm less certain about ditching anyone from the top millionaires.
I think this would only be worth considering if the gains are high.

*
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 19th, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thread cleanup
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2038 upvotes
Toronto
Those whispers of Bruce Boudreau as a Leafs assistant coach seem to be getting louder.

Good old Leafs - still paying for the highest paid NHL coach, so why not have the highest paid NHL assistant coach?
I'm intrigued. So long as they can figure out a way to make it work (and not wage war against each other like Babs and Dubas), it *could* help.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)