RW Kasperi Kapanen
D Jesper Lindgren
LW Pontus Aberg

Maples Leafs getting:

2020 Rd 1 pick (15 overall)
LW Evan Rodrigues
C Filip Hallander
D David Warsofsky
I don't know who these guys are because I don't watch Pittsburgh much.

Hockey experts...Who's the best player in the trade? To me Kappy is a player who can be a very good player....he just needs to learn how to be more motivated. When he gets on his horse you can't stop him.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9325 posts
3599 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: I don't know who these guys are because I don't watch Pittsburgh much.

Hockey experts...Who's the best player in the trade? To me Kappy is a player who can be a very good player....he just needs to learn how to be more motivated. When he gets on his horse you can't stop him.
don't know all the names either but Kap must be the best (current) player in the trade if we're getting a first rounder back.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8931 posts
2842 upvotes
essentially Kap for a 1st (?)
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1358 posts
1451 upvotes
Toronto
Was Kap a negative in the locker room? Would have thought that others would have been a bigger impact on the culture of the room. Don't know.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10839 posts
5908 upvotes
Markham
blexann wrote: essentially Kap for a 1st (?)
15th pick is a bit of a crap shoot IMO. I'd like to have rugged tougher stay at home defensemen back...someone who can play the penalty kill like Hainsey.

Kap is a top 6 forward IMO if he's motivated.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9325 posts
3599 upvotes
Toronto
maple1 wrote: Was Kap a negative in the locker room? Would have thought that others would have been a bigger impact on the culture of the room. Don't know.
i don't think we traded him because he was a negative. i think that's what the Pens asked for in order for them to give up a 1st. they must see a lot of upside in him. if they slot him on one of the top 2 lines with Crosby/ Malkin he could really break out.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9325 posts
3599 upvotes
Toronto
as soon i saw we made a deal with the Pens i was wishfully hoping we were getting a goalie (Jarry) back
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20022 posts
2832 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Seems like r\hockey thinks Toronto got the better end of the deal, for whatever that is worth. Kap was on a decent deal for Toronto but playing on the third line with money Toronto had tied up on the first two lines makes him very expendable.

Not that Kap was much of a ray but he was one of the few players that tried to get under the skin of other players.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2038 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote: as soon i saw we made a deal with the Pens i was wishfully hoping we were getting a goalie (Jarry) back
This is totally what is hoping for. Drat!
Very weird to have playoffs and trades going on at same time.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2858 posts
758 upvotes
This is a good deal to clear cap space and get back a first rounder in a deep draft. Basically gave away Kapanen to get rid of Marleau. Good job Dubas.
shikotee wrote: This is totally what is hoping for. Drat!
Very weird to have playoffs and trades going on at same time.
There's no way Pens trade Jarry over Murray. Murray has been inconsistent without Fleury, and he's had injury problems.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2038 upvotes
Toronto
sharpshooter88 wrote: This is a good deal to clear cap space and get back a first rounder in a deep draft. Basically gave away Kapanen to get rid of Marleau. Good job Dubas.

There's no way Pens trade Jarry over Murray. Murray has been inconsistent without Fleury, and he's had injury problems.
Yeah... I know....
Saw the notification of the trade (but not details), and was hoping it was bigger (cough cough Anderson).
Keep in mind - hope is often fantasy based. Upon reflection, doesn't stand the sniff test.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8931 posts
2842 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: 15th pick is a bit of a crap shoot IMO. I'd like to have rugged tougher stay at home defensemen back...someone who can play the penalty kill like Hainsey.

Kap is a top 6 forward IMO if he's motivated.
Yea I feel once you get out of the top 5 maybe even the top 3 it's a crap shot
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9490 posts
2896 upvotes
maple1 wrote: Was Kap a negative in the locker room? Would have thought that others would have been a bigger impact on the culture of the room. Don't know.
Done to make room on the cap. Hopefully this is the start of the retooling of the mess that Dubas has created.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4003 posts
431 upvotes
Georgetown
The Leafs must think there will be a player they like at 15 in the draft. Overall, definitely a move to cut salary and do a mini-reset on a player who didn't step up and prove himself a top 6 when given the chance.

It seems Hallander may be an ok prospect too with second/third line type potential. Considering that Kap really wasn't making the players around him better, this may have been a decent trade to get a couple prospects (hopefully a real gem with that 1st round pick) when they needed to move some salary anyway.

Other sources I have read seemed pretty sure Johnsson would be traded... so... we will have to wait and see if that also comes to pass...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)