• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 7:51 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9322 posts
3598 upvotes
Toronto
Kap for cap + a 1st

interestingly Kap was a Pens 1st round pick. we acquired him as part of the Kessel trade.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8922 posts
2836 upvotes
If Kap performs the exact same way he did here then I think we won the deal - provided the others are not impact players. Would have been difficult for Dubas to sit out the entire 1st round, this makes up for that
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1893 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
Wonder which dud the Leafs will draft with this pick?

If I was GM, I'd draft Yaroslav Askarov or whatever high-ranking D-Man that is still available. I like the goalie pick tho. Freddie ain't it and never will be.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10816 posts
5893 upvotes
Markham
Kapanen is only 24. i think he has a lot of upside with his speed. He put up 20 goals and 24 assists in 2018/19 at age 22 which BTW was his first full yr at the big club. A pretty good debut if you ask me.

We're going to look back and say why did we let this guy go.

Ignoring cap space (who created the cap space problem in the first place?!) ...did we get best player?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1352 posts
1442 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:

We have done that a lot over the years, so have become pretty good at it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2858 posts
758 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Kapanen is only 24. i think he has a lot of upside with his speed. He put up 20 goals and 24 assists in 2018/19 at age 22 which BTW was his first full yr at the big club. A pretty good debut if you ask me.

Ignoring cap space (who created the cap space problem in the first place?!) ...did we get best player?
Pens clearly got the best player but we got the cap space and pick we wanted. It's impossible to say who won the trade right now, let's give it a few years.

I love Kappy's speed but he's a bottom 6 player. Puck dies on his stick, he doesn't create plays for others, and he disappears in the playoffs. We've got a cheaper player in Robertson and the cap space gives us a bit more options moving forward. I like this trade.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4361 posts
1623 upvotes
GTA
I hope they keep the 15th overall. I wouldn't be surprised if Dubas uses it to trade down but either way, I'd rather we try to stock up on the farm system again.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3884 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Rumour has it they are shopping around, offering Frederik Andersen, Andreas Johnsson, Pierre Engvall, and Alex Kerfoot.

Can anyone explain - is it normal for eliminated teams to make trades while playoffs are ongoing?
I have no memory of this ever happening. My assumption was once trade deadline hit, no trades until end of postseason. Or was it always a possibility, just no one did it until all teams available to trade (so as to have more possible options)?

I can't tell if this is unique due to covid, or if it was always possible to trade during playoffs?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20010 posts
2827 upvotes
Niagara Falls
shikotee wrote: Rumour has it they are shopping around, offering Frederik Andersen, Andreas Johnsson, Pierre Engvall, and Alex Kerfoot.

Can anyone explain - is it normal for eliminated teams to make trades while playoffs are ongoing?
I have no memory of this ever happening. My assumption was once trade deadline hit, no trades until end of postseason. Or was it always a possibility, just no one did it until all teams available to trade (so as to have more possible options)?

I can't tell if this is unique due to covid, or if it was always possible to trade during playoffs?
It's unique to Covid. I believe there is a freeze from the trade deadline to just after when the playoffs would normally finish. Since Covid happened we are now passed that period so I guess teams are free to make trades. Still seems a bit in poor taste though.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10816 posts
5893 upvotes
Markham
Evil Baby wrote: It's unique to Covid. I believe there is a freeze from the trade deadline to just after when the playoffs would normally finish. Since Covid happened we are now passed that period so I guess teams are free to make trades. Still seems a bit in poor taste though.
This trade was with Pittsburgh who were also eliminated so the trade was announced. For all we know there may be other trades also "to be stamped" with playoff teams but they're not announcing it till a later date.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20010 posts
2827 upvotes
Niagara Falls
gr8dlr wrote: This trade was with Pittsburgh who were also eliminated so the trade was announced. For all we know there may be other trades also "to be stamped" with playoff teams but they're not announcing it till a later date.
I just don't like that trades are being done during the playoffs, the focus should be on the playoffs only. I mean, I'm not going to cry over it, it doesn't really bother me that much, I just feel its in poor taste.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3884 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: This trade was with Pittsburgh who were also eliminated so the trade was announced. For all we know there may be other trades also "to be stamped" with playoff teams but they're not announcing it till a later date.
I find this almost impossible to believe. What if the player you pseudo traded ends up lighting things up during playoffs? Would you then be bound to complete the trade? Maybe some loose talks, but even that seems foolish. Imagine being a player during playoffs and hearing about trade rumours?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1893 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
shikotee wrote: I find this almost impossible to believe. What if the player you pseudo traded ends up lighting things up during playoffs? Would you then be bound to complete the trade? Maybe some loose talks, but even that seems foolish. Imagine being a player during playoffs and hearing about trade rumours?
You find this impossible to believe? This happens all the time in society. It's called a handshake deal.

Regarding the NHL (and other professional sports), trades fall through all the time, and nothing is binding until the league approves it.

You need to get out more my friend.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3884 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote: You find this impossible to believe? This happens all the time in society. It's called a handshake deal, and isn't binding.

Regarding the NHL (and other professional sports), trades fall through all the time, and nothing is binding until the league approves it.

You need to get out more my friend.
I'm not sure you caught the gist of what I was questioning.
When a team is trading a player, it is usually based on some idea of the worth that player brings to their team.
Let's say for fun, Colorado was thinking about trading Kadri prior to playoffs.
During the playoffs, Kadri becomes a goal scoring demon (as he has presently).
The trade that seemed OK is no longer such, because the market value has increased substantially.
There is no logic for teams still in playoffs to make arrangements that can shift.
Sure - you can test the waters - but it really is a waste of time until the deal can be sealed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8922 posts
2836 upvotes
Good on the players for taking the lead on this.
Discomfort is your friend

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)