Leafs Talk (2020): BlessRNG Holy Grail BlessRNG

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 7:51 am
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1893 posts
609 upvotes
DT Calgary
I'm quite certain the year 2100 will hit, and the Leafs still won't have even made the Stanley Cup Final.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9485 posts
2893 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: We already have an inexperienced head coach and we just added an inexperienced assistant? Now all we need is a bunch of new refs who call the game in the playoffs the way we want to play and we got a cup.
Actually he spent 3 years in Vancouver as assistant coach and is thought of as a head coach in making.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10809 posts
5880 upvotes
Markham
Let's play armchair GM Dubas - Who'd do this deal?

Trade Tavares and a player [Freddie perhaps] to the Rangers for the number one pick who will be Alexis Lafreniere and a player. The Rangers can they buyout or trade Lundquist.

And then we can sign Pietrangelo and Holtby.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3998 posts
428 upvotes
Georgetown
gr8dlr wrote: Let's play armchair GM Dubas - Who'd do this deal?

Trade Tavares and a player [Freddie perhaps] to the Rangers for the number one pick who will be Alexis Lafreniere and a player. The Rangers can they buyout or trade Lundquist.

Rangers simply would NOT do that deal. I doubt they would do it for Matthews (although that might at least make them consider). Not to mention that Tavares has a NO TRADE clause... so... we are stuck with him! Sadly, that means a kid will shipped out instead (Marner or Nylander.. or a few years from now, Matthews if he doesn't extend his contract... but that is a ways off). More likely, none of them are moved and we keep trying to squeeze in the rest of the team on a shoestring budget... and that means, we do not Win.

Interestingly, we are actually being connected to some big UFA D-men... that pretty much ensures a big contract needs to be traded... or... we have an even more top-heavy salary structure.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10809 posts
5880 upvotes
Markham
Tiberius wrote: Rangers simply would NOT do that deal. I doubt they would do it for Matthews (although that might at least make them consider). Not to mention that Tavares has a NO TRADE clause... so... we are stuck with him! Sadly, that means a kid will shipped out instead (Marner or Nylander.. or a few years from now, Matthews if he doesn't extend his contract... but that is a ways off). More likely, none of them are moved and we keep trying to squeeze in the rest of the team on a shoestring budget... and that means, we do not Win.

Interestingly, we are actually being connected to some big UFA D-men... that pretty much ensures a big contract needs to be traded... or... we have an even more top-heavy salary structure.
Good read re Tampa....someone please send this to Dubas and make sure he reads it.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/297 ... -cup-drive

Adds: Maroon 1.9 M, Shattenkirk 1.75 M, Bogosian 1.3 M, Coleman 0.6 M , Goodrow 0.6M

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8536 posts
2932 upvotes
A small market team like the Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup twice in the last 16 years (2004, 2020).
The last time the Leafs won a playoff series was in 2004, 16 years ago.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13047 posts
7120 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Let's play armchair GM Dubas - Who'd do this deal?

NYR don't have the cap room to take on Tavares and Freddie, hence why they bought out Henrik.

Plus they bought out Henrik because they already have 2 goalies who happen to be cheap.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10809 posts
5880 upvotes
Markham
LV Golden Knights just signed Robin Lehner to a 5yr $25 Mil deal. The price for goalies just changed dramatically for Markstrom, Holtby, Lundqvist, Crawford, Anderson, Khudobin etc. and for Freddie Andersen if we want to extend him now.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8515 posts
2299 upvotes
Mississauga
What do you guys think of the player the leafs took at #15? I was hoping for a defenseman Braden Schneider.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1893 posts
609 upvotes
DT Calgary
antigua1999 wrote: What do you guys think of the player the leafs took at #15? I was hoping for a defenseman Braden Schneider.
Meh, at least they got a defenseman.

It's too bad for Leafs fans that Nashville grabbed Iaroslav Askarov. The Leafs badly need a good goalie and some half-decent d-men.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1039 posts
478 upvotes
FreshCo wrote: Meh, at least they got a defenseman.

It's too bad for Leafs fans that Nashville grabbed Iaroslav Askarov. The Leafs badly need a good goalie and some half-decent d-men.
Leafs picked a winger, not a defenseman
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3998 posts
428 upvotes
Georgetown
The kids seems like a solid pick who could be close to arriving in the NHL - and a solid 2-way game is nice. However, once again they picked small. I guess the conventional thinking is to simply take the best player available, but I think it also reflects that the Leafs rank players differently than other teams and don't penalize for size, while other teams clearly seem to do so and such players drop on their lists... so... we end up getting a lot of them. I'm all for getting great talent, but balance has proven to be important for winning teams, and there seems to be plenty of comparable players with size in the league.

The Leafs have tons of late round picks so it will be interesting to see what they end up with... in a few years the work done today may make a big difference for this team.... or... maybe not...
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10809 posts
5880 upvotes
Markham
LyGuy wrote: Leafs picked a winger, not a defenseman
Rodion Amirov. Smaller Russian winger [same size as Marner].

From what I read...he's a meh pick who does a "bit of everything" but nothing is outstanding. So we gave up a speed winger who is dangerous on the PK and when on a mission can't be stopped in Kapanen for a meh winger....and got a bit of cap space. On a best case basis, word is he is at best THREE YEARS away from the bigs.

Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10809 posts
5880 upvotes
Markham
LyGuy wrote: He's 6'1 ... he's not small lol
Good review here
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/10/ ... ple-leafs/
They said he's almost exactly the same size as Marner who's IMO is not big at 6'0" and 175lbs and he's an older prospect than others in the draft.

I would've been happier if they picked the best D man available at the time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)