• Apr 16th, 2021 6:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1484 posts
219 upvotes

Leak under sink, please help

Hello

I have this leak under the sink. I tried to tighten the nut, but no go as it’s still leaking.

With Home Depot being closed, I can’t ask anyone what I need to chnahe so I’m asking for help here

I’m assuming the fitting needs changing? I’m not sure what kind of fitting to get.

Also looks like it’s copper on one side Snd plastic on the other?
Images
  • E863B689-872C-445A-9F15-9E5D9A61C0CC.png
  • ECBC6EE0-D771-42A5-B45B-44C7CFFB4C64.png
15 replies
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10028 posts
9757 upvotes
Markham
1. Turn off the water to that fitting.
2. Cut that copper pipe and the grey rubber pipe cleanly with a tool specific for that.
3. get some flexible pipe that is equal in size and buy the Sharkbite adapters.
4. Put it all together. It's super easy.
5. Enjoy a pint.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8152 posts
1808 upvotes
Which side is leaking? The side with the nut?

Is the rubber ring worn out? Is the hose worn out? Unscrew it, put some tefelon tape around the threads and try tightening again?
Last edited by EPcjay on Apr 16th, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2226 posts
372 upvotes
Торонто
Is it leaking on the Cooper or plastic side? How steady is the leak? Try plummers tape, wrap it around the threads where the nut engages then screw it down and see
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4257 posts
2159 upvotes
snipe2014 wrote: Hello

I have this leak under the sink. I tried to tighten the nut, but no go as it’s still leaking.

With Home Depot being closed, I can’t ask anyone what I need to chnahe so I’m asking for help here

I’m assuming the fitting needs changing? I’m not sure what kind of fitting to get.

Also looks like it’s copper on one side Snd plastic on the other?
Unscrew the nut and replace the plastic sleeve on the end of the tube.
You may have to cut the tube up higher if the old sleeve won't come off.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sioux- ... 1001000612
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1484 posts
219 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: Which side is leaking? The side with the nut?

Is the rubber ring worn out? Is the hose worn out? Unscrew it, put some tefelon tape around the threads and try tightening again?
o0vL wrote: Is it leaking on the Cooper or plastic side? How steady is the leak? Try plummers tape, wrap it around the threads where the nut engages then screw it down and see
pootza wrote: Unscrew the nut and replace the plastic sleeve on the end of the tube.
You may have to cut the tube up higher if the old sleeve won't come off.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sioux- ... 1001000612

It’s leaking on the plastic side not the copper.

If I cut the plastic, won’t the pipe be too short to go into the fittings?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4257 posts
2159 upvotes
snipe2014 wrote: It’s leaking on the plastic side not the copper.

If I cut the plastic, won’t the pipe be too short to go into the fittings?
Might be ... might not be.
The copper pipe must have a little play in it as it's probably leaking because you bumped it.
But spend the extra and get a flex supply like EPcjay recommended.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1484 posts
219 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: Replace the plastic hose with stainless steel

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/aqua-d ... 1000777337
pootza wrote: Might be ... might not be.
The copper pipe must have a little play in it as it's probably leaking because you bumped it.
But spend the extra and get a flex supply like EPcjay recommended.

yes, sure. i have no issues with spending the money for quality work.

so basically i need to buy a steel hose which will go from faucet to the fitting. and the fitting will connect to the copper. right?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4257 posts
2159 upvotes
snipe2014 wrote: yes, sure. i have no issues with spending the money for quality work.

so basically i need to buy a steel hose which will go from faucet to the fitting. and the fitting will connect to the copper. right?
No ... you unscrew the nut and throw it away and the flexible line connects to the fitting where the nut was. The other end should connect to the faucet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8152 posts
1808 upvotes
snipe2014 wrote: yes, sure. i have no issues with spending the money for quality work.

Unscrew the plastic hose, and it should just come off.
Since you are removing the plastic hose, buy some teflon tape (plumbers tape) to wrap around the threads before screwing in the new hose. Just an extra preventive measure since you are doing the work anyways
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2173 posts
760 upvotes
Whitby
It sounds like you probably are not into soldering, so I would suggest that you buy these three items at home depot:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sharkb ... 1000791803

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sharkb ... 1000792286

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sharkb ... 1000829915

Cut the copper pipe before the existing fitting, using a pipe cutter. If you don't have one...you will need one of these: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1001385647 Sand the end of the copper pipe with a piece of sandpaper and then push the elbow onto the copper pipe.

Cut the pex pipe using a sharp knife or razor blade, one or two feet from the fitting. Push the coupling on to the remaining end of pex pipe. Cut the piece of pex pipe that you purchased to the proper length so that it will push into both the coupling and the elbow and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3498 posts
3601 upvotes
GTA

The photo is a little small but it looks like the water is leaking where the plastic line and nut meet. Turn off the water, drain the line, remove plastic line, replace with flexible stainless steel line, turn the water on, check for leaks . Don't forget to put plumbers tape on both male ends. Measure the existing line because they come in different lengths, get the closed length that is the same or a bit longer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1484 posts
219 upvotes
Ok so thanks for all the assistance.

I think the plastic hose is a compression style nut. So if I buy a braided steel pipe, it SONT work because it just screws on the fitting, Snd my current fitting is a compression type. I will have to buy a new fitting in this case, right?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4741 posts
3030 upvotes
LaLaLand
snipe2014 wrote: Ok so thanks for all the assistance.

I think the plastic hose is a compression style nut. So if I buy a braided steel pipe, it SONT work because it just screws on the fitting, Snd my current fitting is a compression type. I will have to buy a new fitting in this case, right?
The braided hoses usually have rubber inserts and don't utilize a compression fitting. You can just screw it on finger tight then tighten it one half turn with a wrench - use two wrenches, one to hold the non moving part and one for the part that moves. You also don't need Teflon tape for this as the rubber is the seal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1484 posts
219 upvotes
batcave wrote: The braided hoses usually have rubber inserts and don't utilize a compression fitting. You can just screw it on finger tight then tighten it one half turn with a wrench - use two wrenches, one to hold the non moving part and one for the part that moves. You also don't need Teflon tape for this as the rubber is the seal.
Okay thanks

I just want to make sure that my existing fitting will work Thags all.