• Jul 4th, 2021 11:34 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 17, 2016
332 posts
151 upvotes

Leaking ceiling in Calgary rental apt building

I live on the top floor, so no other apartment above me. We had a storm today and water started leaking thru the ceiling multiple places, in the kitchen, living room and bathroom later on. Called emergency line and a guy answered the phone but no follow up so far, and its supposed to rain again later on tonight. As i was standing downstairs in front of the closed rental office (everyone already gone home for the weekend), lady tells me I can call but they wont do anything which has turned out to be true so far.

I just moved in a month ago. What are my options? Can i ask them to offer me a different apartment? Any compensation for the hassle? I read a post regarding a similar situation in Ontario, pasted below, and wondering if there is anything similar to the Municipal Licencing and Standards here in Calgary

" 1y

If you file at the LTB you will probably wait months for a resolution. It's worth doing it anyway because you are entitled to rent abatement for an issue that's been ongoing for so long. To resolve the actual leak as quickly as possible you should contact Municipal Licensing & Standards in Toronto (or your municipality you don't live there) and ask them to send an inspector for a property standards violation. They will issue a work order to the landlord and do the repair for them and send a bill if they continue to ignore it."
7 replies
Jan 11, 2019
96 posts
127 upvotes
TitusBobby wrote: I live on the top floor, so no other apartment above me. We had a storm today and water started leaking thru the ceiling multiple places, in the kitchen, living room and bathroom later on. Called emergency line and a guy answered the phone but no follow up so far, and its supposed to rain again later on tonight. As i was standing downstairs in front of the closed rental office (everyone already gone home for the weekend), lady tells me I can call but they wont do anything which has turned out to be true so far.

I just moved in a month ago. What are my options? Can i ask them to offer me a different apartment? Any compensation for the hassle? I read a post regarding a similar situation in Ontario, pasted below, and wondering if there is anything similar to the Municipal Licencing and Standards here in Calgary

" 1y

If you file at the LTB you will probably wait months for a resolution. It's worth doing it anyway because you are entitled to rent abatement for an issue that's been ongoing for so long. To resolve the actual leak as quickly as possible you should contact Municipal Licensing & Standards in Toronto (or your municipality you don't live there) and ask them to send an inspector for a property standards violation. They will issue a work order to the landlord and do the repair for them and send a bill if they continue to ignore it."
I don't live in Calgary/Alberta but the first thing you should do is document and take photos of any damage to your belongings and where the water is leaking from before you start cleaning up.

Make sure the water is nowhere close to any light fixtures on the ceiling

Read your lease agreement again and look for specific details about water damage

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9217 upvotes
The NORTH
Do you have tenant insurance? That will cover your losses if there are any.
[OP]
Sep 17, 2016
332 posts
151 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Do you have tenant insurance? That will cover your losses if there are any.
I do have it ... Maybe a $500 computer thats damaged but its bundled with the car insurance, and unsure what the effect of a claim will be on the premium.

Also, this apartment is showing signs of water damage before I moved in a month ago, that were covered up with paint just so it looks good for a cursory inspection. Hence its very possible it already has mold contamination ...
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1043 posts
834 upvotes
BC
kr0zet wrote: Do you have tenant insurance? That will cover your losses if there are any.
He has a duty to mitigate damage. It should be reported to the ins co ASAP if a claim is anticipated, and reported to the condo corp, and the tenant should take any and all steps possible to reduce the extent of a future claim.

This is one of the many risks you take when you choose you live in a dense living environment where somebody else controls your destiny.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1622 posts
631 upvotes
Vancouver
Canada is famous for leaky condo, especially in Vancouver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_condo_crisis

I had water leak issue with a previous house. It's no fun. No easy fix.
I learnt to stay away from flat roof, which is prone to leak.

Op, if you don't have a fixed term lease, perhaps try looking for other places.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3407 posts
3764 upvotes
Montreal
Roofs leak. And no construction crew is going to show up Friday night to repair your roof.

The situation sucks, but it just happened so you can't claim anyone is refusing to repair yet and you're going to need patience to get through this.

Complaining to the city or LTB at this early stage is extremely counterproductive.

Contact the owners, provide pictures. Think carefully of what you want (lease break? move to different unit? Stay in same unit but with compensation?)

The situation may take a while to be fully resolved, but you can get compensation for the time it takes.
[OP]
Sep 17, 2016
332 posts
151 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: Roofs leak. And no construction crew is going to show up Friday night to repair your roof.

The situation sucks, but it just happened so you can't claim anyone is refusing to repair yet and you're going to need patience to get through this.

Complaining to the city or LTB at this early stage is extremely counterproductive.

Contact the owners, provide pictures. Think carefully of what you want (lease break? move to different unit? Stay in same unit but with compensation?)

The situation may take a while to be fully resolved, but you can get compensation for the time it takes.
You know the saying: hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

So for now, lets hope for the best although it would have been nice to be informed upon checking out the place, before signing the lease, that it has leakage problems. But hey, will give the leasing office staff the benefit of the doubt they didnt know, and perhaps they were under the impression they were completely fixed, as its obvious this place had them before i moved in.

Meanwhile i will prepare myself for the worst. The lack of a follow up call is a bit worrisome in that regard

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)