Leaking Duracell AA Batteries

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 9:55 pm
[OP]
Feb 22, 2014
45 posts
21 upvotes

Leaking Duracell AA Batteries

I was just putting away my set of decorative Christmas trees I purchased from Costco (Item 740255, UPC 8-05780-39193-1) and the Duracell AA batteries I also purchased from Costco (UPC 0-41333-66255-8, Serial 5346868103, 48 pack) leaked all over the inside of the battery compartment. They were installed fresh and were only in the trees for 2 months. Best before is DEC 2025. It was a set of 3 trees, and the leaking battery acid was in two of them (3 batteries per tree). I think there may be a problem with this product and it should be recalled? I have emailed Duracell and Costco... but haven't heard back from them. Any suggestions as to who I should contact?
Images
  • IMG_3930.JPG
  • IMG_3931.JPG
  • IMG_3932.JPG
  • IMG_3933.JPG
  • IMG_3934.JPG
  • IMG_3935.JPG
  • IMG_3936.JPG
  • IMG_3937.JPG
  • IMG_3938.JPG
  • IMG_3939.JPG
  • IMG_3940.JPG
  • IMG_3941.JPG
38 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14896 posts
11245 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Why they have chinese letters on the batteries? Made in China?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1216 upvotes
The expiration date doesn't matter, batteries left in a device will slowly discharge and then leak even if the device isn't turned on.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28747 posts
14300 upvotes
Doesn't Duracell have a guarantee against leakage where they'll repair or replace anything it's been leaked in?
Google found me a Reddit post that says yes, but the page can't be found.
But Duracell redirects from US to Canada so maybe Canada doesn't have that policy.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2014
45 posts
21 upvotes
Actually they were turned on every day since they were installed (so they weren't sitting in the device without being used), and the markings indicate they were made in the USA... even though there are Chinese letters on them. :S
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2423 posts
1715 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Duracells are well known for leaking. I hate them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28747 posts
14300 upvotes
I was right.

Duracell Battery Guarantee
If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim. Duracell may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of the batteries or device.

https://www.duracell.com/en-ca/technolo ... -disposal/

If anything it's a reason to buy Duracell over other brands.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4847 posts
2773 upvotes
The problem is most likely the tree not the batteries.
Oct 22, 2006
749 posts
597 upvotes
Ontario
According to your 2nd picture, and this site https://www.thecounterfeitreport.com/pr ... eries.html , your batteries might be fakes.
Duracell batteries are packed flush to the bottom of the card-stock. You should be able to stand authentic battery packs upright without them falling.
It's very possible they are fakes. If you read a bit of that site, you'll see that fakes were sold at Walmart.com as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9209 posts
2860 upvotes
London
dollarsign wrote: It's very possible they are fakes. If you read a bit of that site, you'll see that fakes were sold at Walmart.com as well.
I'd be very, very surprised if Costco sold fake Duracells. Costco sells alot of them, and they are in special Costco-specific packaging, so they are getting them directly from Duracell.

FWIW, the OP can take the trees and batteries back to Costco and they will refund his money. I'd do this with the batteries at the very least; if you want to keep the trees, just use some vinegar and a cotton swab to clean the battery residue from the compartment and contacts.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2005
1119 posts
17 upvotes
GTA
I also experience leaky Duracell batteries. I'm pretty sure they were real.
Oct 22, 2006
749 posts
597 upvotes
Ontario
Ottomaddox wrote: I'd be very, very surprised if Costco sold fake Duracells. Costco sells alot of them, and they are in special Costco-specific packaging, so they are getting them directly from Duracell.
I'm not suggesting in any way that Costco knowingly sold fakes. You would in fact be surprised at how counterfeit stuff can enter the supply chain.

I temped at P&G for a while (owners of Duracell at the time). I can say that Walmart also got their batteries delivered directly from them. So, how did Walmart end up with fakes?

The ability of a Duracell package to "stand up" because they are packed at the bottom has always been one of their "things". The OP's picture clearly shows that's not possible. Here's a post on another forum with a reply from Duracell themselves: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showp ... stcount=87
Anyhow the only way to truly determine if a battery is counterfeit is to have our Duracell Quality Assurance Team evaluate it thoroughly. However, there are some things you can look for when questioning if a battery is a true Duracell product:

- We use recycled paper in our packaging. If you look at the back of the package, the cardstock should look dull, or similar to a newspaper. If it’s bright white, it’s suspect.
- Duracell batteries are packed flush to the bottom of the cardstock. You should be able to stand our battery packs upright without them falling.
- Other possible signs of counterfeit batteries include spelling errors on the package or poor picture quality.
A lot of people who experience leaks don't realize they have fake batteries. It's a rampant, multi-million dollar business.
Nov 3, 2007
888 posts
57 upvotes
Cambridge
I have had bad batteries that leaked from Costco.
They replaced them when I took back.
I also did leaked duracells thru online once thru duracell.
They did not replace the remote, They gave coupons to get new batteries
Cambridge,Ontario
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4847 posts
2773 upvotes
The OP has 36 batteries in use in other applications and they have not reported any leaky batteries in those other uses. It's the trees FFS.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17352 posts
9543 upvotes
Ottawa
I found Duracells very prone to leaking in many of the devices I've used.

Energizer seemed to be better IME.

leaking alkalines just a fact of life, that's why I try to use Eneloops in almost everything, if you can clean out the device properly, just do it and move on. If the device was damaged, then contact Duracell.
Please update your profile to include your city. ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9209 posts
2860 upvotes
London
dollarsign wrote: I'm not suggesting in any way that Costco knowingly sold fakes. You would in fact be surprised at how counterfeit stuff can enter the supply chain.

I temped at P&G for a while (owners of Duracell at the time). I can say that Walmart also got their batteries delivered directly from them. So, how did Walmart end up with fakes?
I agree, the volume of goods these companies move make anything is possible.
However, if I was a counterfeiter, why would I copy Costco specific packaging? Generic retail would be easier to sell, and attract less attention, no?
The mulitpack Costco specific format doesn't look like other retail versions, so I doubt the standup test is a valid metric.
Take a look at the images from the Costco website.
https://www.costco.ca/hardware-batteries.html
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17352 posts
9543 upvotes
Ottawa
yes, the likelihood of the batteries being fake seems low especially at Costco, as I said, Duracells seems pretty average in terms of leakage for a premium brand, and the tree that the OP used happened to hit the right conditions to exacerbate leakage (heat, parasitic drainage or even the way the batteries are clamped inside)

I really hate their advertising that it's the brand professionals depend on because they are actually not that dependable. For mission critical usage, go with Lithium disposables or NiMH
Please update your profile to include your city. ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6724 posts
2454 upvotes
BC
Duracell spend far too much money on advertising and too little on producing a decent product.

Have always found them to have a shorter useful life and more prone to leak than even dollar store no-name batteries. So avoid whenever possible.

Getting a refund on the batteries doesn't go anywhere near replacing the damaged device (or time taken in cleaning it up if you are lucky).
Aug 4, 2008
16 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Sorry I know this is an old post but just had to post to let people know that Duracell are garbage. I have a brand new 8 pack of Duracell AAA with an expiry of DEC 2025 which is still 6 years left on their supposed 10 year battery life and half of them are leaking IN THE PACKAGE. I had started noticing that Duracell seemed to be leaking more than other battery brands when left in my devices but this confirmed that they have an issue when I found these in my office filing cabinet when I was looking for batteries over Xmas.

i'm posting because they promised me a coupon for a replacement pack of batteries but then they also sent me a standard 'form' letter reply detailing all of the things that consumers could do to cause batteries to leak. Right...your batteries leaking in the unopened package was potentially casued by something I did. Typical, blame the user instead of owning up to your crappy quality control and cheaper manufacturing to save a few bucks on what used to be a 'premium' brand.

Definitely sticking with Energizer and NiMH batteries which seem to be built better to not leak since they get recharged.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2950 posts
1601 upvotes
B.C.
Interesting thread. I was surprised to see all the Duracell hate. I use a lot of disposable batteries for work and we swear by Duracell and hate Energizer.

But anyway everyone should be using Eneloops now. I bought a bunch and haven't had to use disposable ones for anything in ages.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)