Home & Garden

Leaking toilet shut off valve

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2017 9:09 pm
Mar 17, 2006
740 posts
505 upvotes

Leaking toilet shut off valve

As I was shutting off the water to the toilet this morning (to re-attach the chain), I noticed water leaking from the shut off valve (1/4 turn type). Probably my fault as I did it as the water was flowing. The valve only leaks in the process of opening or closing (it doesn't leak when it's either open or closed if that makes any sense) Can these type of valves be repaired (there's a little screw in the front) like the other style screw type valve, sorry don't know the name? Should I leave it or is this a sign of impending failure?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Since the valve is hardly used, they o-rings usually go in them as they are dry.

If it stops leaking in open/closed I would not worry, unless you use it alot. that feeds toilet run, flush toilet a few times use up water in line, remove old and put teflon tape on new and tighten.

You can buy a new o-ring for under $1 and tear apart and replace as well, but then need to turn off water remove, take apart take part to store.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
Like theguyz said, it's very common. I have one like that, leaks when I try to close it.

If the shutoff valve has a removable valve mechanism (not the handle, the valve body itself), you can try to find the same model, buy a new one, and then just swap the internals including new seals.

Worst case you have to remove the old valve and install a new one. If it's soldered to copper pipe, you'll probably have to cut off the old one and install a new one of the type that's made to grip and seal on bare copper pipe (e.g, Sharkbite type). See

Of course you'll probably have to shut off the house water supply and drain the toilet tank ahead of time.
Dec 4, 2009
837 posts
875 upvotes
Flamborough
I've found that if you buy the same valve, you can remove the "guts", you can swap the important parts without having to remove the housing that is soldered in place. The valve MUST be the same.

Using pliers, undo the packing of the new valve to understand how it's assembled, then make the swap on the installed part. Lube the new parts with some waterproof grease that won't swell rubber. Don't forget to turn off the water...