• Dec 14th, 2020 11:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
59 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto

Leaky shower knob/faucet

Our shower knob has been dripping for sometime now, and I am going to try fixing this DIY. Its the square knob on the right. I suspect some rubber ring inside the knob needs to be replaced. Would I run into any issue disassembling this knob? My plan is to do the following:
1. Shut off water supply and drain out the water
2. Scrap off the silicon and unscrew the knob.
3. Replace the worn rubber or seal with plumber tape.
Any RFDer help would be appreciated.
Images
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
Last edited by ttaepr on Dec 14th, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3241 posts
3268 upvotes
GTA
You probably need a new cartridge.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4309 posts
3748 upvotes
Toronto
tew wrote: You probably need a new cartridge.
+1

Most problems with faucets (temperature, flow, leaksing, etc.) are caused by cartridges, which all fail after a few years. Do you know the model and can get a replacement cartridge? If it's old, then the cartridge may be difficult to get out, which is not fun...

Most major manufacturers (Moen, Delta, etc.) offer a lifetime warranty and you can get a free replacement cartridge.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
59 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
I see, thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I need to take off the circular cover and replace the cartridge. Good thing the brand Cabano is still around.

I was trying to see if there is something leaking with the sqare knob or, specifically according to the manufacturer, Square Supply Elbow with Shut Off. I turned it counter clockwise for a number of rotations and it didnt feel it was coming off at all. It did loosen and moved away from the wall a little. I turned it clockwise hope to put it back into the original position. Could I have unscrewed anything that may cause a leak?

I turned the main water supply back on and the supply elbow seem to work fine still with the slow leak...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3688 posts
2644 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
ttaepr wrote: I see, thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I need to take off the circular cover and replace the cartridge. Good thing the brand Cabano is still around.

I was trying to see if there is something leaking with the sqare knob or, specifically according to the manufacturer, Square Supply Elbow with Shut Off. I turned it counter clockwise for a number of rotations and it didnt feel it was coming off at all. It did loosen and moved away from the wall a little. I turned it clockwise hope to put it back into the original position. Could I have unscrewed anything that may cause a leak?

I turned the main water supply back on and the supply elbow seem to work fine still with the slow leak...
Can you see a hol that would have a set screw in it anywhere on the handle? That's a common way to attach handles. However, these "designer" brands often do odd things, which can make it a PIA to service for the uninitiated.
I'd contact a retailer in your area, or contact the company itself before proceeding.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4309 posts
3748 upvotes
Toronto
If the leak is occurring even when the circular knob is turned off, then it's the cartridge. The cartridge inside the circular knob controls the flow of water. When it's truly off, then no water should be able to flow to the square showerhead supply to the right. If the cartridge is defective, then when you turn it off, it may still allow water to flow to the showerhead supply (i.e. it's only 95% off and not 100% off).

If no water is leaking when it's off, but it's leaking when it's on, then it's a problem with the showerhead supply, not the cartridge.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8717 posts
5647 upvotes
Kootenays
jm1 wrote: +1

Most major manufacturers (Moen, Delta, etc.) offer a lifetime warranty and you can get a free replacement cartridge.
Only Moen honours a lifetime warranty now. Delta stopped with free replacements about 10 years ago.
Sep 2, 2005
759 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote: Only Moen honours a lifetime warranty now. Delta stopped with free replacements about 10 years ago.
Actually I was able to get a new Delta cartridge a couple months ago by contacting them. My shower is over 15+ years old.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
59 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote: Can you see a hol that would have a set screw in it anywhere on the handle? That's a common way to attach handles. However, these "designer" brands often do odd things, which can make it a PIA to service for the uninitiated.
I'd contact a retailer in your area, or contact the company itself before proceeding.
Unfortunately, I didnt see any holes. I did find a couple instruction sheets of this set, but I cant figure out how the wall elbow is secured against the "copper 90".
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
59 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: If the leak is occurring even when the circular knob is turned off, then it's the cartridge. The cartridge inside the circular knob controls the flow of water. When it's truly off, then no water should be able to flow to the square showerhead supply to the right. If the cartridge is defective, then when you turn it off, it may still allow water to flow to the showerhead supply (i.e. it's only 95% off and not 100% off).

If no water is leaking when it's off, but it's leaking when it's on, then it's a problem with the showerhead supply, not the cartridge.
I uploaded the instruction that came with the shower.

Thanks for the troubleshooting logics. It makes sense. The upper circular knob diverts water between the square showerhead supply and the ceiling showerhead. I just tested by diverting all water to ceiling showerhead and the drip is still there from the square knob. Can I conclude that the cartridge inside flow control circular knob is defective? Is it possible that the square wall elbow is also defective since the leak is there in both situations?

Did I mess up anything with by turning the square wall elbow counter clockwise and clockwise few rounds back and fourth? How is the wall elbow attached to the copper 90?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8717 posts
5647 upvotes
Kootenays
zaius wrote: Actually I was able to get a new Delta cartridge a couple months ago by contacting them. My shower is over 15+ years old.
The last time I needed a Delta shower cartridge (4 or 5 years ago), they also sent me one, but I really had to talk it out of them. When my Moen cartridges need replacing, I can go to either of the local hardware stores and they give one to me.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
59 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote: The last time I needed a Delta shower cartridge (4 or 5 years ago), they also sent me one, but I really had to talk it out of them. When my Moen cartridges need replacing, I can go to either of the local hardware stores and they give one to me.
thats really awesome. Next time definitely will go with either a more mainstream brand widely available or higher end well known brand like Grohe/Hansgrohe. These smaller boutique "designer" brands looks nice, but not as reliable. My other shower set is a Hansgrohe with very similar setup, much more reliable and higher quality.