2415 posts
1191 upvotes
Vancouver
Learning French to date guys and girls
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4496 posts
1449 upvotes
dannycheeko wrote: Is it the same broken, francophone/English type of "French" that my kids will be learning in French Immersion?
There are different French dialects. I certainly learned a variation of different French dialects growing up from teachers originally from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec and France.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4970 posts
893 upvotes
It's a bit ironic that you'd probably learn more French in Quebec than in France because French in France is littered with English words like shopping, parking, prime-time, airbag, etc... There are hundreds of examples.
Sep 23, 2008
777 posts
365 upvotes
dannycheeko wrote: ;) sure he does. I mean, sure, a pure French speaking teacher born/raised in France could've decided to leave France, come to Canada, become a teacher (through all those hoops and hurdles) then bypass any seniority in the teacher's union to get a FT job here (despite recent cuts) to teach proper International French to elementary kids. Yes, there's a chance of this happening.

I've also heard of the whole
School Board - "hey, which of you teachers know French?".... Teacher - "I know a bit of French, I mean, I haven't used it in a few years and people in Montreal look at me funny when I speak it".... School Board - "Awesome, we're in need of teachers that know French for our increasing French Immersion enrollments, congrats, you're teaching social sciences in French now"

Not that I want to make this political or anything. I just don't see any value what so ever in French Immersion. If you want your kid to learn another language, you'll put them in a proper language school/class dedicated to it. Not French Immersion, aka "the poor man's private school".
So why are your kids in French immersion then?
Selling:
My Soul -- PM Me
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1221 posts
488 upvotes
Vaughan
Thanks OP! I do so many unproductive things with my phone. I deleted a game (1 down, too many to go) and installed this instead. Sometimes the hockey game I want to watch is only available with French commentators :)

Mic
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow
Dec 25, 2013
92 posts
49 upvotes
Richmond Hill
With the housing price in Toronto being less affordable, I might need to improve my French and move to Montreal.
Jul 21, 2017
161 posts
229 upvotes
JustBob wrote: It's a bit ironic that you'd probably learn more French in Quebec than in France because French in France is littered with English words like shopping, parking, prime-time, airbag, etc... There are hundreds of examples.
But only this much English is there is France. Most people would not understand a simple sentence.

Montreal is fully bilingual. The moment you make a small mistake in French, they start speaking English.

I think there more opportunities to practice French in France than in QC --- based on decade long stay in France and QC

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)