Vancouver
Learning French to date guys and girls
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4052 posts
921 upvotes
dannycheeko wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 10:15 am
Is it the same broken, francophone/English type of "French" that my kids will be learning in French Immersion?
There are different French dialects. I certainly learned a variation of different French dialects growing up from teachers originally from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec and France.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4805 posts
782 upvotes
It's a bit ironic that you'd probably learn more French in Quebec than in France because French in France is littered with English words like shopping, parking, prime-time, airbag, etc... There are hundreds of examples.
Sep 23, 2008
751 posts
334 upvotes
dannycheeko wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 11:04 am
;) sure he does. I mean, sure, a pure French speaking teacher born/raised in France could've decided to leave France, come to Canada, become a teacher (through all those hoops and hurdles) then bypass any seniority in the teacher's union to get a FT job here (despite recent cuts) to teach proper International French to elementary kids. Yes, there's a chance of this happening.

I've also heard of the whole
School Board - "hey, which of you teachers know French?".... Teacher - "I know a bit of French, I mean, I haven't used it in a few years and people in Montreal look at me funny when I speak it".... School Board - "Awesome, we're in need of teachers that know French for our increasing French Immersion enrollments, congrats, you're teaching social sciences in French now"

Not that I want to make this political or anything. I just don't see any value what so ever in French Immersion. If you want your kid to learn another language, you'll put them in a proper language school/class dedicated to it. Not French Immersion, aka "the poor man's private school".
So why are your kids in French immersion then?
Selling:
My Soul -- PM Me
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1182 posts
396 upvotes
Vaughan
Thanks OP! I do so many unproductive things with my phone. I deleted a game (1 down, too many to go) and installed this instead. Sometimes the hockey game I want to watch is only available with French commentators :)

Mic
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow
Dec 25, 2013
91 posts
47 upvotes
Richmond Hill
With the housing price in Toronto being less affordable, I might need to improve my French and move to Montreal.
Jul 21, 2017
144 posts
220 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 2:27 pm
It's a bit ironic that you'd probably learn more French in Quebec than in France because French in France is littered with English words like shopping, parking, prime-time, airbag, etc... There are hundreds of examples.
But only this much English is there is France. Most people would not understand a simple sentence.

Montreal is fully bilingual. The moment you make a small mistake in French, they start speaking English.

I think there more opportunities to practice French in France than in QC --- based on decade long stay in France and QC