Careers

Learning about Cannabis trends/info to be a Budtender?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2021 3:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Learning about Cannabis trends/info to be a Budtender?

I got my Cannsell Certificate and new Background Check, was considering applying to be a Budtender. Most of the want ads are asking about the candidate to be "knowledgeable and passionate about cannabis to educate customers" but I'm not really in the loop as I haven't used it for years.

I ask my friends who are cannabis users and they say the same thing... "Cannabis users know what they want and 90% won't need any education, you'll learn the info on the job".

So I'm wondering where I'd learn enough info and trends to pass an interview? I have a weekday job (3-5 days/week) and I'm looking to moonlight on the weekends for extra money. Any info would be appreciated.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46749 posts
9846 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Wow that sounds like a fun learning process. Lolz.

Just brushen yourself up on the latest trendy strains.
Smoke them to get a feel for what kind of vibe they give off.
Make a little journal noting
-taste
-smell
-feelings after 15 minutes
-feelings after 30 minutes
-feelings after 1 hour

Note things like
-munchies
-euphoria
-what kind of feels? Did you want to watch a movie or go for a walk to the cornerstore just for dorito and pop?
-sleepiness
-muscle tingly
-location of tingles e.g. head, body, arms and in what order.

Like a cigar, wine, or cognac/scotch enthusiast.

So now you can say stuff like

“This sativa… has a mellow high.
That starts off tingly in the head, for a nice head high. Great for head aches. Then works its way down the body for a full body relaxation.
Creativity is boosted during the high.
The taste has notes of citrus. Sour. Yet earthy.”
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Ya, I'm not wasting my money on this stuff (covid ruined my finances), just want to learn what's popular and/or new, what to recommend, etc - general info I would need to pass an interview.

To be honest, weed never did much for me except make me cough.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Why would they come up with something like mg/g instead of just a %? Seems to be more confusing than it needs to be.

I see that a store site is printing both, however.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46749 posts
9846 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gibsons wrote: Ya, I'm not wasting my money on this stuff (covid ruined my finances), just want to learn what's popular and/or new, what to recommend, etc - general info I would need to pass an interview.

To be honest, weed never did much for me except make me cough.
That might make it a little tough.
Just think about the pot head stoners who want the job for funsies because they enjoy the hobby.

It will be hard to compete. It’ll be like selling cars without liking cars or driving them.

Interview questions will be all the typical customer service stuff… but with a twist.

“Whats your favourite strain?”

Follow up question. “Why?”.

Think of it like being a bartender… you’d want your bartender to be able to make the drinks you want, and to know what they’re like.

Compared to the dive bars that’ll just sling you shots, beers, or rum & coke.

Gibsons wrote: Why would they come up with something like mg/g instead of just a %? Seems to be more confusing than it needs to be.

I see that a store site is printing both, however.
Mg of thc is easier because you don’t have to do math in order to figure out strength of an edible. Edibles vary widely in shape because its food. You can have a big brownie for good eating that has 10mg thc
Or a small piece of chocolate with the same 10mg.
If its % now its confusing as hell. Its more accurate in this context to use mg of thc as a measure.

Now marijuana flower is Always flower. A bud, is a bud. So thats why % of thc is a more accurate measure for bud. You roll a 0.3gram joint… 20% of that is THC.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
UrbanPoet wrote: That might make it a little tough.
Just think about the pot head stoners who want the job for funsies because they enjoy the hobby.
Would you want a pot head stoner handling money, checking ID and selling Weed at your store? Seems like someone who has a clear head, has worked with money, customer service experience for many years - would make more sense. But yes, the weed knowledge I definitely need... which was the purpose of the thread.

Your car salesman and bartender analogies are pretty ridiculous... maybe I shouldn't work at McDonald's because I've never eaten a McNugget before Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

My brother told me not to bother as when he goes into these places, it's only hot Girls under 25 working, so we'll see.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46749 posts
9846 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gibsons wrote: Would you want a pot head stoner handling money, checking ID and selling Weed at your store? Seems like someone who has a clear head, has worked with money, customer service experience for many years - would make more sense. But yes, the weed knowledge I definitely need... which was the purpose of the thread.

Your car salesman and bartender analogies are pretty ridiculous... maybe I shouldn't work at McDonald's because I've never eaten a McNugget before Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

My brother told me not to bother as when he goes into these places, it's only hot Girls under 25 working, so we'll see.
That's a stereotype. I handle literally millions of dollars @ my job. Per day.
Underlined... Those are't exactly difficult skills to learn.
I don't think you'll fit in if you still have those attitudes towards marijuana ...

The hardest is the customer service and sales skill. How can you upsell and recommend products if you don't know about it or how to tell it? Not to say its impossible, but you might have difficulties relating.

Analogies aside... The point is you have to know the product you're selling.
Remember you can order weed CHEAP from gray market sellers and local dealers. You can even order government stuff and get it next day @ the same price of the stores. So the brick and mortar stores do have an emphasis on creating an environment to compete with online.

Crazy part is... You were asking on how to learn the info and trends! YOu don't want to smoke it... Fine. So go read up on it. google everything and practice your communication skills.

https://www.hempstaff.com/whats-it-like ... n-the-life
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Sep 18th, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
UrbanPoet wrote: That's a stereotype. I handle literally millions of dollars @ my job. Per day.
Underlined... Those are't exactly difficult skills to learn.
I don't think you'll fit in if you still have those attitudes towards marijuana ...
No offense, but I think you are the one that's biased. Because I wasn't a smoker, you immediately dismissed me.

I have friends that smoke every day and function but the way you described someone as a "stoner doing it as funsie" sounded like they weren't that responsible.

I don't think much will come out of this thread, I was asking about Cannabis knowledge and I'm only getting opinions on "try everything" and such. Maybe if someone gave me $1000 I'd try it. Getting high and selling cannabis don't have to be one and the same.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46749 posts
9846 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gibsons wrote: No offense, but I think you are the one that's biased. Because I wasn't a smoker, you immediately dismissed me.

I have friends that smoke every day and function but the way you described someone as a "stoner doing it as funsie" sounded like they weren't that responsible.

I don't think much will come out of this thread, I was asking about Cannabis knowledge and I'm only getting opinions on "try everything" and such. Maybe if someone gave me $1000 I'd try it.
lol ok fine.
My suggestion wasn't meant to come across as smoke everything for $1k.
More like smoke 2-3 joints for $20... To help you 'pretend' to know what your talking about. If thats too much. Keep googling reviews and trends.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5931 posts
3708 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: lol ok fine.
My suggestion wasn't meant to come across as smoke everything for $1k.
More like smoke 2-3 joints for $20... To help you 'pretend' to know what your talking about. If thats too much. Keep googling reviews and trends.
Just wanted to weigh in.
Completely agree with the points you have made.
Vast majority of customers will want someone whose opinions are not theoretical.
I'd be pretty pissed off if I found out the person slinging knows jack squat.
For many, the banter and personal recommendations is what they want most.
If you don't have passion for the product or the culture, most likely will be an uphill battle.