• Dec 1st, 2019 12:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19213 posts
6772 upvotes
Toronto

A Learning Opportunity About Our User Base

I've been following and been a part of the Shell 10% Mastercard thread since the very beginning and I have seen the various types of users visit the thread.

What's concerning is the number of users who somehow found out about the thread, signed up for the promotion and participated but did not find out when the promotion abruptly ended. Even today, almost 2 months after the end of the promotion, the thread is regularly bumped with complaint after complaint from members who have under 100 posts (generally).

I feel like even if we had every tool and fail safe in place, you have to be paying attention to RFD to benefit from it and these are clearly our users who are not here as often as some of our daily users.

But, that doesn't mean we can't do a better job for these users. Maybe we can develop an instant notification should a hot deal thread (you are subscribed to) should a deal end?
Maybe this is some sort of additional subscribe feature?
Maybe RFD moderators deem certain deals as urgent and just as they notify us on the main page or by e-mail, maybe they can notify us of canceled ones too.

I don't know... But what's happened to hundreds of members of this community is pretty sad and it's those who visit RFD but not regularly who are falling victim.

Something to think about...Thanks
RedFlagDeals Addict
1 reply
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14616 posts
27480 upvotes
Scarborough
There are definitely things we could do to be more proactive on this front. We usually expire deals from Hot Deals pretty quickly but as you've shown, some people don't always read up on the latest posts to know what's going on.

I've already been working on an improvement to our Deal Alerts system which will show something like "You've missed this deal! Setup a Deal Alert to make sure you don't miss out on the next one." on all expired threads. This way anyone viewing an expire thread will very easily see that it's expired, regardless of what the title or OP says.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].