• Apr 1st, 2020 6:37 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2014
857 posts
437 upvotes
Easter Island

Lease buyout Safety

Hello all,

My parent's lease is up in two months. They want to buyout the car. The Toyota dealership where the car was brought from is claiming that safety has to be exclusively done by them or else they won't release papers. They also did not disclose all fees involved in lease buyout.

I was planning on getting safety done by own mechanic since I don't trust dealer.
Has anyone gone through this process?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1045 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Read your lease agreement. Some leasing companies let you do it directly through them

Dealerships can also do the paperwork you and have seen fees anywhere from 0$ - 1000$. 0$ is usually only possible if you have a good relationship with them or buying another car.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11191 posts
3453 upvotes
Toronto
I heard the inspection for a Toyota is $100 or so, another RFDer just paid similar amount few months ago.
You have your right to do the inspection elsewhere, but dealership will put the car as Unfit and unplated. Then you have to bring the safety inspection of your own mechanic and register the car at MTO on your own, before you can drive the car anywhere.

Versus if dealership is doing the safety inspection, you just have to show up at the dealership, pay the bill, they handle all the works and you drive the car out from dealership.

It is a comparison of Money VS Convenience. You decide which way is better for you.

$100 is already a deal lol, we paid $200+tax at Lexus. (It was $250+tax orignally and we got a mail in Service voucher for $50 off)

In additional, you have to pay the dealer admin fee (or whatever they call it) from $300 to $500 + tax.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54008 posts
18952 upvotes
Watch out for those safeties. They could easily mandate replacing this or that and it could cost a few hundred to thousands.

Maybe pay for the safety inspection but have a back up just in case the laundry list of work to be performed is too long to be credible.

Look up the safety inspection checklist so that you don't go replacing things that are still in good shape (like brake pad depth).
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12090 posts
3404 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote:
You have your right to do the inspection elsewhere, but dealership will put the car as Unfit and unplated. Then you have to bring the safety inspection of your own mechanic and register the car at MTO on your own, before you can drive the car anywhere.

Can't you just do the safety in the days leading up to bringing it back?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1014 posts
1122 upvotes
Call the leasing company first. Dealership might be trying to fleece you. Or call another dealership.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11191 posts
3453 upvotes
Toronto
simplypop wrote: Call the leasing company first. Dealership might be trying to fleece you. Or call another dealership.
We also called Toyota Finance and they tell us to contact dealerships, i'm sure all dealership will tell you the same except the admin fee or safety inspection fee may vary.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11191 posts
3453 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote: Can't you just do the safety in the days leading up to bringing it back?
I would tell OP to check with the dealership how much is the Safety inspection fee first then compare of how much his independent mechanic charging him, then go from there.
If his mechanic is charging him $60 and dealership is charging $100, I would probably just do the whole thing in one place then running around.
Jan 8, 2015
346 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
When buying my lease. Subaru Mississauga had a policy where they have to do safety in house and wont disclose any fees until then. (every dealership has thier own policies)

I switched my account over to Subaru Oakville. They told me I can do saftey where ever I wanted and gave me a breakdown of fees. (2 months in advance)
Call a bunch of dealerships and ask to speak with the Business Manager and ask those questions. Then speak to Toyota Credit/Finaical and switch your account over to whichever dealership is best.

They have an online portal so make an account there and can just send a message saying you want to move your account to X Dealership.

Fees:

Dealer-$599 ( they only one that will vary)
OMVIC- $10
Licence - $37
HST- XXXX

Your HST will be Buyout+Dealer Fee+ OMVIC Fee
Last edited by sebakaa on Apr 1st, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1268 posts
512 upvotes
Safety is only valid for 36 days iirc. Doing it now might be a waste because the safety will expire.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12090 posts
3404 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: I would tell OP to check with the dealership how much is the Safety inspection fee first then compare of how much his independent mechanic charging him, then go from there.
If his mechanic is charging him $60 and dealership is charging $100, I would probably just do the whole thing in one place then running around.
Yeah obviously. But you were talking about bringing it back first, the dealer then stripping plates etc, so the cost to bring it to your own place would be very high and a lot of hassle. I just suggested you can get the safety done before you even go to the dealership.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11191 posts
3453 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote: Yeah obviously. But you were talking about bringing it back first, the dealer then stripping plates etc, so the cost to bring it to your own place would be very high and a lot of hassle. I just suggested you can get the safety done before you even go to the dealership.
Only thing I m not sure is if the safety inspection has to be after the ownership transfer.

If they require the safety to be done after the ownership transfer, then you cannot do your safety inspection before.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12090 posts
3404 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: Only thing I m not sure is if the safety inspection has to be after the ownership transfer.

If they require the safety to be done after the ownership transfer, then you cannot do your safety inspection before.
That would be weird, considering that you can sell a used car with safety no probs. But then again, could be a semi-scam by a dealership.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)