Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Lease a pre-owned?

Has anyone leased a pre-owned vehicle before? specificially Audi or BMW?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
foodyforlife wrote: Has anyone leased a pre-owned vehicle before? specificially Audi or BMW?
I did way back in 2006. I leased a CPO BMW 330i that was 1 year old.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
One key consideration: don't sign a lease where the term runs longer than the warranty. Do you want to be paying for repairs on a car you're just renting?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5882 posts
7460 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Why would one lease a 1-2 year old car? Is it just to drive something newer with a lower monthly payment? Are the rates competitive?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
treva84 wrote: Why would one lease a 1-2 year old car? Is it just to drive something newer with a lower monthly payment? Are the rates competitive?
I didn't think this was available anymore. I did it back in 2006 because the price of the car was around $15K lower than brand new. Lease interest rate was very low and residual was high. I ended up selling that car after about a year. I generally lease new cars with low interest rates as I like to free up cash to put in places that can make more in return that the interest over lease term I pay.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
treva84 wrote: Why would one lease a 1-2 year old car? Is it just to drive something newer with a lower monthly payment? Are the rates competitive?
I was thinking of leasing like a CPO, off-lease or even demo car. Aslong as its under warranty, since I wouldn't be keeping it anyways after that! Especially for those luxury cars
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5882 posts
7460 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
foodyforlife wrote: I was thinking of leasing like a CPO, off-lease or even demo car. Aslong as its under warranty, since I wouldn't be keeping it anyways after that! Especially for those luxury cars
What are the rates you're finding? Are they nearly the same as leasing new?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21165 upvotes
Toronto
foodyforlife wrote: I was thinking of leasing like a CPO, off-lease or even demo car. Aslong as its under warranty, since I wouldn't be keeping it anyways after that! Especially for those luxury cars
if that's the case, takeover a leasebuster lease. Have the current owner pay for inspection and lease transfer fee and look for a lease that the owner has put down a fair amount of down payment.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
Plenty of 3rd Party leasing companies where you can lease 3-4 year old luxury cars.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
durrsak wrote: Plenty of 3rd Party leasing companies where you can lease 3-4 year old luxury cars.
Just in time for warranty to run put after 4 years?
Aug 29, 2004
952 posts
271 upvotes
If you structure these correctly and don't mind being ether slightly out of bumper to bumper warranty (or can find a CPO) you can get ridiculous deals by doing this.

That's how I leased a 1 year old Audi R8 for $600/mnth.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21165 upvotes
Toronto
$600 for r8. You got show us your paper with details to back up your claim
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2507 posts
551 upvotes
TO
scarface wrote: If you structure these correctly and don't mind being ether slightly out of bumper to bumper warranty (or can find a CPO) you can get ridiculous deals by doing this.

Yeah, okay.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21165 upvotes
Toronto
scarface wrote: If you structure these correctly and don't mind being ether slightly out of bumper to bumper warranty (or can find a CPO) you can get ridiculous deals by doing this.

I think you have a typo.

$600/ WEEK is more likely (even this # is already considered to be on the low side)

A base V8 R8 at $160,000 + car with $0 down and 3 yrs lease at 4.9% will run you about $3000 per month + taxes.

I am really interested in seeing your takeover lease doc.
Aug 29, 2004
952 posts
271 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I think you have a typo.

$600/ WEEK is more likely (even this # is already considered to be on the low side)

A base V8 R8 at $160,000 + car with $0 down and 3 yrs lease at 4.9% will run you about $3000 per month + taxes.

I am really interested in seeing your takeover lease doc.
Wasn't a takeover. It was a unit that was being voluntarily repossessed and I was able to buy it for the outstanding loan balance, after a year of payments.

I paid $135,000 and was able to assign a $124,000 residual after 3 years. 3.5% rate. Feel free to check my numbers.

The $3k payment you use is correct, if you buy a new one. The black book residual doesn't go down that much over a year (or two), but the residuals that the dealers use tend to be different because they want equity in the cars when they come back. If you want to start guaranteeing residuals, you can do even more ridiculous stuff, like $1 monthly lease payments.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Do you think I could possibly get a 0% lease by getting a CPO BMW and using the single payment lump sum option?
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
scarface wrote: Wasn't a takeover. It was a unit that was being voluntarily repossessed and I was able to buy it for the outstanding loan balance, after a year of payments.

I paid $135,000 and was able to assign a $124,000 residual after 3 years. 3.5% rate. Feel free to check my numbers.

The $3k payment you use is correct, if you buy a new one. The black book residual doesn't go down that much over a year (or two), but the residuals that the dealers use tend to be different because they want equity in the cars when they come back. If you want to start guaranteeing residuals, you can do even more ridiculous stuff, like $1 monthly lease payments.
I thought residual is set by the company not dealer
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21165 upvotes
Toronto
scarface wrote: Wasn't a takeover. It was a unit that was being voluntarily repossessed and I was able to buy it for the outstanding loan balance, after a year of payments.

Since you did not say what trim model of the R8, therefore, it is difficult for me to analyze your #. Assuming the car when brand new is $250,000 (before taxes) and you said you paid $135,000 (tax included) as down payment and residual of 124000, with 3.5% and 36 months lease term. Yes, then I can see you are paying $600 a month all included.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)