Lease Return Repair for Windshield and Bumper

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2014 4:06 pm
[OP]
Jun 22, 2011
33 posts
Toronto

Lease Return Repair for Windshield and Bumper

I got my lease inspection done yesterday and I have a few days to return my car. Now the glass had a chip which I got repaired but it was not up to their satisfaction and they want me to replace it. There is another scratch on the bumber which I kind of knew so it's not a problem. However its the language of the report that bothers me. Can I get it repaired outside the dealership because they will charge me arm and leg for it.. And because its a lease return I don't want to pump too much money into it.

This is what the report says:
Your Honda dealer may be able to help reduce or eliminate your charges. Please contact your dealer for details before completing any repairs.

As a valued customer of Honda Financial Services and if you have not returned your vehicle yet, you may choose to repair your vehicle instead of paying the amounts listed. If you choose to repair your vehicle, please follow these guidelines:

1) Repairs should be completed by your Honda dealer or a body shop recommended by your Honda dealer to ensure high quality repairs.

2) Repairs should always be completed using genuine Honda parts.

3) Once repairs are completed, email a copy of your detailed repair invoice to Honda Financial Services at [email protected] or fax at 1-888-254-8875 prior to returning the vehicle. Honda Financial Services may require a re-inspection of the vehicle before removing the charges from your final invoice.

[IMG]https://www.dsfs.com/Photos/1069/1/4588 ... 8_0021.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://www.dsfs.com/Photos/1069/1/4588 ... 8_0029.jpg[/IMG]
12 replies
May 29, 2007
450 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I had a similar issue with Honda and they wanted me to replace the windshield. I called Honda and was told I could get the windshield replaced anywhere. I called around and one of the cheapest places I found was called Star Auto glass around Weston and Finch. I don't remember the exact numbers but they were between two and three hundred for a new windshield whereas the Honda dealer was more than double. Honda accepted the returned car without issue after I did the things that were identified. Pain in the @ss though and put me off leasing.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2011
33 posts
Toronto
CraigLee wrote: I had a similar issue with Honda and they wanted me to replace the windshield. I called Honda and was told I could get the windshield replaced anywhere. I called around and one of the cheapest places I found was called Star Auto glass around Weston and Finch. I don't remember the exact numbers but they were between two and three hundred for a new windshield whereas the Honda dealer was more than double. Honda accepted the returned car without issue after I did the things that were identified. Pain in the @ss though and put me off leasing.
Yeah its a hassle but I knew this was coming one day. Anyway, I was able to find this place close to my home that is doing it got $170+taxes with warranty if something goes wrong or if honda has a problem. That's a lot lower than $500 that datascan quoted me for the repair.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2011
33 posts
Toronto
Update: They took the scratch charge off because I am 30k kilometers under my allowed kms. Now, I think I should have been more agressive with the windshield charge
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19650 posts
20081 upvotes
Richmond Hill
karansood wrote: Update: They took the scratch charge off because I am 30k kilometers under my allowed kms. Now, I think I should have been more agressive with the windshield charge
Why? The windshield is a safety item. If you were selling the car and wanted it certified it wouldn't pass if the chip was a certain size. After all the car was rented and reasonable wear and tear is taken into consideration which they have with your scratch.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2011
33 posts
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Why? The windshield is a safety item. If you were selling the car and wanted it certified it wouldn't pass if the chip was a certain size. After all the car was rented and reasonable wear and tear is taken into consideration which they have with your scratch.
Because I pretty sure things like these are taken into account when Honda calculates the residual value at the start of the lease. The chip is minor was repaired and cant be seen with naked eye from 2 feet away from windshield. Its 30k kilometres below limit thats a lot of value, far more than $480 they want to charge me.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: Why? The windshield is a safety item. If you were selling the car and wanted it certified it wouldn't pass if the chip was a certain size. After all the car was rented and reasonable wear and tear is taken into consideration which they have with your scratch.
Only if it is the sight line and generally applicable to cracks, not chips (or scratches). The OP's photo shows it near the bottom of the windshield, no safety issue.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19650 posts
20081 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote: Only if it is the sight line and generally applicable to cracks, not chips (or scratches). The OP's photo shows it near the bottom of the windshield, no safety issue.
Point is its a lease and anyone that know how leases work generally know that upon lease maturity they are expecting a like new vehicle back. Is it right? No.

So not sure why people get so surprised by wear and tear charges when they are returning the vehicle... I suppose some just don't do their homework.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: Point is its a lease and anyone that know how leases work generally know that upon lease maturity they are expecting a like new vehicle back. Is it right? No.

So not sure why people get so surprised by wear and tear charges when they are returning the vehicle... I suppose some just don't do their homework.
No, that is not true. Wear and tear limits and conditions vary greatly amongst manufacturers. for instance, the photo of the hand showing the ruler (is that the OP's hand or Datascan agent's hand) should be much closer to the bumper to be accurate in the measurement. The bumper damage could be within limits?
My point, and retort to your post to you was, if you are going to make a statement, ensure it has validity.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15130 upvotes
karansood wrote: Update: They took the scratch charge off because I am 30k kilometers under my allowed kms. Now, I think I should have been more agressive with the windshield charge
Forget it, just be lucky they let the scratch go. If you had been "more aggressive" you may have just ended up getting stonewalled and ended up having to pay for both. They probably looked at your kms as said, looked that you were repairing the windshield and said, "okay we'll cut you a break on the scratch". If you acted like a bafoon, I'd imagine whomever you were dealing with would have just closed the case with you paying for everything. I know that's what I would do if I worked for them and encountered someone sounding like a self-entitled dbag.

Remember they are not legally required to give you any sort of breaks at all, based on you not using up your km allowance. If you don't use up your kms that's your too bad. OTOH you are legally required to pay for excess wear and tear upon return as per your lease agreement.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2011
33 posts
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Point is its a lease and anyone that know how leases work generally know that upon lease maturity they are expecting a like new vehicle back. Is it right? No.

Its juvenile of anyone to think they are getting like new vehicle back. Now the problem is that wear and tear although measurable is still open to interpretation depending on manufacturer. I have seen bigger wear and tear damages go through on my last lease. It all depends on how much equity they think it has left. If it I was getting another Honda I know for sure they would eat that charge in a heartbeat. They knew I was abandoning Honda so it was weak battle anyways.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2011
33 posts
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: No, that is not true. Wear and tear limits and conditions vary greatly amongst manufacturers. for instance, the photo of the hand showing the ruler (is that the OP's hand or Datascan agent's hand) should be much closer to the bumper to be accurate in the measurement. The bumper damage could be within limits?
My point, and retort to your post to you was, if you are going to make a statement, ensure it has validity.
I agree with you. The quality of the photo on the windshield chip is horrible, its nowhere close to as bad as what it looks. The blurry image just makes it look even worse and its at the bottom near the dashboard and not in line of sight. I never had a problem with it.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2011
33 posts
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Forget it, just be lucky they let the scratch go. If you had been "more aggressive" you may have just ended up getting stonewalled and ended up having to pay for both. They probably looked at your kms as said, looked that you were repairing the windshield and said, "okay we'll cut you a break on the scratch". If you acted like a bafoon, I'd imagine whomever you were dealing with would have just closed the case with you paying for everything. I know that's what I would do if I worked for them and encountered someone sounding like a self-entitled dbag.

Remember they are not legally required to give you any sort of breaks at all, based on you not using up your km allowance. If you don't use up your kms that's your too bad. OTOH you are legally required to pay for excess wear and tear upon return as per your lease agreement.
I don't think you have negotiated anything in the real world. When I said I could have been more aggressive doesn't mean that I would have threatened him on the phone ??? Are you nuts? I meant in a sensible way that makes sense and Thats how people negotiate and yes its a hit and miss.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)