Automotive

Lease scratched. Return or fix & return?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2019 8:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 21, 2015
628 posts
284 upvotes
Canada

Lease scratched. Return or fix & return?

End of lease December 2019.
Volkswagen Tiguan 2016 Wolfsberg.
Not going to lease or buy from returning dealer.

Should I fix now or just return & pay.
How much would I be looking at?

Any recommendations near Richmond Hill, ON?
20190530_092120.jpg
Thanks for your time.
31 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
26043 posts
11122 upvotes
Toronto
fix it on your own will always be cheaper
Sr. Member
Dec 14, 2007
955 posts
374 upvotes
Did you just call that scratched?
I would fix it before return. Or you can wait till after inspection. Usually they have a price on the repair. Then you can decide if it’s worth the hassle of repairing it yourself.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
13308 posts
7645 upvotes
Toronto
That's not a scratch.

Try buffing it out first and polish. The plastic moulding is probably a few hundred and if you needed someone to fix it all up, you're probably in the $500 range. That's if you supplied the part and they only buffed the paint, replaced the supplied part.
Last edited by koffey on May 30th, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
12500 posts
6367 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, that will buff right out.

:facepalm:

Just a scratch...lol
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 21, 2015
628 posts
284 upvotes
Canada
Thanks for your input.
If it's not a scratch what is it professionally called?
Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
92 posts
45 upvotes
FJF23J12DAZ wrote: Thanks for your input.
If it's not a scratch what is it professionally called?
It’s called paint transfer, try taking a closer look at the damage and see if any of your paint is missing/scratched. Also, are there any dents where the scratching/paint transfer occurred?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 21, 2015
628 posts
284 upvotes
Canada
Beamerguy28 wrote: It’s called paint transfer, try taking a closer look at the damage and see if any of your paint is missing/scratched. Also, are there any dents where the scratching/paint transfer occurred?
Thank you for your helpful comment.
Paint was not missing/scratched.
The object that I hit (construction fence) was transferred to the vehicle I believe (black parts), No dents.

I believe I can replace the fender myself but not sure about the paint transfer portion.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2011
1477 posts
1281 upvotes
Toronto
FJF23J12DAZ wrote: Thanks for your input.
If it's not a scratch what is it professionally called?
Damage to the right rear quarter panel / dog leg they'd call that.

New trim piece plus fixing up the panel... Might cost $500 total depending where you do it. If you go to the wrong place it could easily be over $1000.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
92 posts
45 upvotes
FJF23J12DAZ wrote: Thank you for your helpful comment.
Paint was not missing/scratched.
The object that I hit (construction fence) was transferred to the vehicle I believe (black parts), No dents.

I believe I can replace the fender myself but not sure about the paint transfer portion.
Paint transfer can be very easily buffed out, I’d suggest you try it yourself but you would need to buy a buffer first. Which area are you located in? I know a few good body shops that could probably take care of it for a good price. This shouldn’t cost you too much. Do it yourself before returning it.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 21, 2015
628 posts
284 upvotes
Canada
Beamerguy28 wrote: Paint transfer can be very easily buffed out, I’d suggest you try it yourself but you would need to buy a buffer first. Which area are you located in? I know a few good body shops that could probably take care of it for a good price. This shouldn’t cost you too much. Do it yourself before returning it.
Thanks.
I'd prefer a professional to do it rather than me going out buying tool for a single use.
Located in Richmond Hill, Ontario area.
Newbie
Apr 22, 2019
92 posts
45 upvotes
FJF23J12DAZ wrote: Thanks.
I'd prefer a professional to do it rather than me going out buying tool for a single use.
Located in Richmond Hill, Ontario area.
Prochilo brothers have always been honest, I’ve been to two of their locations, the Scarborough and North York ones, and I’ve received great service from both, though the Scarborough location seemed more upfront. Usually if you go there they can give you a free estimate on the spot, it’ll help you get a good idea of what needs to be done and the cost.
Banned
Aug 3, 2005
1235 posts
1162 upvotes
find the cheapest person to do it on Kijiji...its gonna be a shit job, but will be good enough to return.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13975 posts
10993 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Scratch lol. I wonder how a dent looks like.
Jr. Member
Aug 12, 2014
198 posts
46 upvotes
Brampton, ON
If you were in the Brampton area, I would just do it for you. Doesnt take long to buff

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)