Automotive

[Lease Takeover] How easy is it for a dealership to inspect and sign off that the car has not been in any accident?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2017 4:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54066 posts
18990 upvotes

[Lease Takeover] How easy is it for a dealership to inspect and sign off that the car has not been in any accident?

I've come across a few horror stories here on RFD where people here have bought from a dealership a used car only to find out later it may have been in an accident (not reported to an insurance company) but wasn't disclosed by the dealership. Then when it comes to trading the car in at the same dealership, the dealership is quickly able to pinpoint that the car had been in an accident not disclosed to an insurance company.

Because there usually an admin fee charged for lease takeovers, shouldn't that include a good enough body frame inspection to check that the car hasn't been in any accident, apart from minor scratches and dings here and there?

I don't mind paying a bit more to take over a lease compared to buying a relatively new car (supposedly still under warranty) on autotrader/kijiji for cheap (but there must be a reason why some are so cheap).

Edit: Even CPO's are not foolproof:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4092 posts
907 upvotes
a lot of things that dealerships charge don't make any sense.

The dealership won't inspect the car for a lease transfer - they might do it if you're willing to pay them labour fees to inspect.

Otherwise, the only other time they would inspect is when the lease is over and the dealership gets ready to sell the car.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54066 posts
18990 upvotes
I see, so buying used or taking over a lease doesn't make any difference.

I even learned that GM, Ford and I think Honda will facilitate auto loan takeovers, probably to save the buyer from having to pay HST on the whole amount.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1577 posts
1396 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: I see, so buying used or taking over a lease doesn't make any difference.

I even learned that GM, Ford and I think Honda will facilitate auto loan takeovers, probably to save the buyer from having to pay HST on the whole amount.
Negatory - they do facilitate loan transfers, but you'll have to pay the taxes per normal when you move to transfer the ownership @ Service Ontario.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11249 posts
3500 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: I see, so buying used or taking over a lease doesn't make any difference.
Right.

If you buying a used car, it is always better to bring it to your own trusted mechanic to do an inspection no matter if the car is selling from a dealership or a dude from kijiji.
Taking over a lease, you are still getting a used car. it makes no difference rather lease or cash buy.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015