• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2019 1:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4340 posts
1074 upvotes
Hamilton
GalvToronto wrote: Landlords must be an idiot to approve such schemes either with assignment or sublet.
Imagine if your potential employers on every interview would ask you to reduce your expectations to 30%, just in case, hoping you would suddenly agree without any reason.
It got nothing to do with idiot landlords.
It's laws and such. I'm here to be informed.
Being added to a lease is standard practice in Ontario.
I'm seeing if I can be.
Lets stick to facts please.
I'm not looking for crap flinging.
Licenced is very informed about real estate, as others are here and I value his opinion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4340 posts
1074 upvotes
Hamilton
BadSitcoms wrote: Why dont you ask the landlord first instead of trying to game the system...

If the landlord is smart, he will refuse your application...

If landlord doesnt care or (maybe your a great tenant) then he might accept your request.
I'm not trying to 'game' or such.
I'm trying to get on an existing lease and or assume an existing lease. That's all.
If I was doing, say, a renoviction, very common in Toronto now. That's 'gaming' the system and downright illegal. Which is happening much.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2017
1257 posts
1007 upvotes
Standard practice in Ontario is to pay market rent upon starting renting.
People already told you that landlord is not forced to accept you and the only consequence of refusal is that existing tenant would not be legally bound to rent until end of his term.
But you can call LTB, Wynne, Doug Ford, attorney general just to make sure that you are not entitled to live on money of someone else. And I guess you will call...go ahead, call and stick to the facts.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4340 posts
1074 upvotes
Hamilton
GalvToronto wrote: Standard practice in Ontario is to pay market rent upon starting renting.
People already told you that landlord is not forced to accept you and the only consequence of refusal is that existing tenant would not be legally bound to rent until end of his term.
But you can call LTB, Wynne, Doug Ford, attorney general just to make sure that you are not entitled to live on money of someone else. And I guess you will call...go ahead, call and stick to the facts.
Are leases assumaeable or transferable in Ontario?
Did I argue that the landlord may refuse a lease transfer?
My questions are rhetorical at this point. No response needed.
Mar 13, 2019
2 posts
Are leases assumaeable or transferable in Ontario?

I understand the questions are rhetorical but I want to make sure you have proper information.

The only ways you can have your name put on the lease is if the LL agrees to the assignment, writes you onto the old lease, (they do not have to do this) or a new lease is written up. If a new lease is written, then the LL is free to add new clauses such as a higher rent, utilities no longer included or parking no longer included. Another way you can argue that you are a tenant, is to pay rent to the LL for about 3 months, with your name on the cheque or whatever, while the original tenants are there. Then, if they take you to the LTB to evict you after your friends move out you can argue that paying them rent means you're a tenant.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4340 posts
1074 upvotes
Hamilton
My responses were in defense of something else from a previous reply by someone else.
You, like licenced gave me facts and opinions that coincide with my original question(s) and it's appreciated.
I had no idea about cheques with my name on it as a method.
Maybe I will do cheques before my friend leaves and then request I be added to the lease the last few months. If denied then argue it.
It's a big corporation. Large building in upper mid town Toronto. The management that handles rent and maintenance might not even care.
jldcat wrote: Are leases assumaeable or transferable in Ontario?

I understand the questions are rhetorical but I want to make sure you have proper information.

The only ways you can have your name put on the lease is if the LL agrees to the assignment, writes you onto the old lease, (they do not have to do this) or a new lease is written up. If a new lease is written, then the LL is free to add new clauses such as a higher rent, utilities no longer included or parking no longer included. Another way you can argue that you are a tenant, is to pay rent to the LL for about 3 months, with your name on the cheque or whatever, while the original tenants are there. Then, if they take you to the LTB to evict you after your friends move out you can argue that paying them rent means you're a tenant.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)