Real Estate

A lease transferred over to me (I am the assignee), would the lease automatically renew at the end of the contract? [Que

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 10:38 pm
Nov 2, 2017
215 posts
35 upvotes

A lease transferred over to me (I am the assignee), would the lease automatically renew at the end of the contract? [Que

Good Afternoon,

On the 1 July 2020 I was *legally assigned* the remainder of a lease which ends on March 2021.

This lease originally started on 1 April 2020.

I understand that according to the Civil Code, leases automatically renew.

However, I would like to confirm whether this lease will automatically renew on March 31, 2021?

2.Also if you violate the rules of the apartment building ( not the lease ), would that be sufficient cause to not renew the lease?

I emailed the Regie a week ago, but still waiting to hear back from them. I live in Quebec.

Thanks!
2 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Getbread wrote: Good Afternoon,

On the 1 July 2020 I was *legally assigned* the remainder of a lease which ends on March 2021.

This lease originally started on 1 April 2020.

I understand that according to the Civil Code, leases automatically renew.

However, I would like to confirm whether this lease will automatically renew on March 31, 2021?

2.Also if you violate the rules of the apartment building ( not the lease ), would that be sufficient cause to not renew the lease?

I emailed the Regie a week ago, but still waiting to hear back from them. I live in Quebec.

Thanks!
According to this site, as the Assignee, you have all the rights and obligations of the lease, which means it would renew automatically.
https://www.rdl.gouv.qc.ca/en/assignmen ... e-dwelling

Don't know about the violating rules of the building, but I would guess that yes, you can be booted for not following the rules of the building (in the middle of the lease or at the end). That would fall under the rights of the lessor and other tenants to reasonably enjoy the property.

C
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3487 posts
3895 upvotes
Montreal
Getbread wrote: 2.Also if you violate the rules of the apartment building ( not the lease ), would that be sufficient cause to not renew the lease?
What rules are you planning on violating? :-)
(Also, is the building a condo?)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)