• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2019 9:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1772 posts
96 upvotes

Lease transfers from QC to ON

I'm looking at taking over a lease and while I was on LeaseBusters I noticed that are so many in Montreal (I live in Ottawa). So I was wondering a) any issues transferring leases from Quebec to Ontario? Will the taxes change? b) Why so many leased vehicles in Montreal compared to Ottawa? I'm talking about 20:1 ratio ... if not more.

Thx

DJ
Last edited by djjosee on Apr 5th, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5767 posts
5266 upvotes
djjosee wrote: I'm looking at taking over a lease and while I was on LeaseBusters I noticed that are so many in Montreal (I live in Ottawa). So I was wondering a) any issues transferring leases from Quebec to Ontario? Will the taxes change? b) Why so many leased vehicles in Montreal compared to Ottawa? I'm talking about 20:1 ratio ... if not more.

Thx

DJ
Ottawa is full of families and government workers... people tend to buy their vehicles and drive them into the ground.

Montreal is a bigger city with a much larger population of younger/single people. There's far more nightlife, partying, showing off with expensive cars, restaurants, etc.

What the heck is a PQ? You mean QC? :)
Jan 8, 2015
384 posts
327 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey OP

I did the opposite I took over a lease from ON to QC
Basically you will need to 2 visits.
1 to inspect the car
2 to take the car (can skip 1 if confident you're getting the car you want or plan it with finance manger for the same day)

Usually the dealer will handle all the paperwork and get you temporary plates.
I had a 26 email chain when doing mine. Basically asking for insurance and DL etc...
ON Tax is 13% QC Tax is 14%/14.5%

So the advertised lease price WILL CHANGE, but not by much (you will pay less)

Only thing you will need to do is get a safety inspection and then take all the paperwork you got from the dealer to service Ontario to register.

Why so many leased vehicles ottawa vs montreal ?

Maybe because ottawa is a pedestrian city and montreal has 3x+ the population
Friend who lives in Ottawa tells me he wither walks to work or ubers to work since its cheaper then driving and paying for parking.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1772 posts
96 upvotes
Thanks for the information. Superfresh89 ... PQ another way to say QC (Province du Quebec), I'll change the title to not make it so confusing for anybody born after 1980 :)
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1425 posts
380 upvotes
Bedford
I did a lease transfer from an Ontario resident to NS last year. Just the tax they charge on the lease changes. Lease terms otherwise remain identical. The process was actually easier than a new car lease I just did locally.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1772 posts
96 upvotes
Thx ... when dealing with buyout, do you have deal with the original dealership or can you deal with local one?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1420 posts
315 upvotes
ORLEANS
djjosee wrote: Thx ... when dealing with buyout, do you have deal with the original dealership or can you deal with local one?
You can deal with any dealership. But some automaker FS will let you deal/buy out directly from the.