• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2019 1:51 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2010
399 posts
119 upvotes
Mississauga

Leased car claim question

I have a leased vehicle on 3 year lease which just came up on its first year. I was told by the sales associate that as long as no accidents I can return in two years. I do have a lease guard as well.

I just got rear ended in a parking by a new driver. The rear bumper has minor damage and the other drivers husband owns a car repair facility. Wanted to know what is my best option? I was planning on returning the car in 1 years time provided no accidents.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35220 posts
21193 upvotes
Center of Universe
You were rear ended, so there is no cost for you to have it repaired.
Don't take any chance to return the vehicle with damages, even if you have lease guard.
Apr 15, 2014
955 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's odd that the leasing company would let you return the car before the lease is due.
Please respond
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35220 posts
21193 upvotes
Center of Universe
CardinalComb wrote: It's odd that the leasing company would let you return the car before the lease is due.
Generally allowed if you take another lease.
Jan 20, 2012
766 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Generally allowed if you take another lease.
depending on much money they will make from the return and the new lease.
Dec 11, 2012
250 posts
110 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Inclemental wrote: depending on much money they will make from the return and the new lease.
Exactly. He basically counted on you lease another vehicle in 2 years, IF your car is in good condition with no accidents and low mileage on it. But I bet depending on what car you will lease at the 2-years mark, you can somehow get a good deal from there. I'd say just go through proper channels and fix the car properly first, worry about returning the car in 2-years then. There is already a damage on the car and lease-guard won't cover that for sure.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3294 posts
1637 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sokhangoo wrote: Exactly. He basically counted on you lease another vehicle in 2 years, IF your car is in good condition with no accidents and low mileage on it. But I bet depending on what car you will lease at the 2-years mark, you can somehow get a good deal from there. I'd say just go through proper channels and fix the car properly first, worry about returning the car in 2-years then. There is already a damage on the car and lease-guard won't cover that for sure.
But will the dealership give him/her a good return price on the vehicle because it has an accident on it already? I mean anything you go through insurance will be recorded, unless you go under the table.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Dec 11, 2012
250 posts
110 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
lamboman wrote: But will the dealership give him/her a good return price on the vehicle because it has an accident on it already? I mean anything you go through insurance will be recorded, unless you go under the table.
Probably no they won't and I already mentioned that. But again depending on the dealer, there are many ways to physically check the car and see if the car has been involved in an accident or not. In this case, probably the other party will fix the car with the lowest part/paint qualities to pay as less as possible to fix it, unless they take the car to a reputable shop.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15635 posts
16779 upvotes
Oakville
dealixious wrote: I have a leased vehicle on 3 year lease which just came up on its first year. I was told by the sales associate that as long as no accidents I can return in two years. I do have a lease guard as well.

I just got rear ended in a parking by a new driver. The rear bumper has minor damage and the other drivers husband owns a car repair facility. Wanted to know what is my best option? I was planning on returning the car in 1 years time provided no accidents.
Deal with your own body shop if you want it repaired properly with a warranty. You don't want this idiot's husband to do a hack job and you be accountable for paying for proper repairs when you return the lease.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1285 posts
978 upvotes
HAMILTON
You have had an accident ......... where does that place you with returning the car in 2 years.