Home & Garden

Least Reliable Appliances

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 8:04 pm
Jul 17, 2018
317 posts
164 upvotes

Least Reliable Appliances

I'm moving into a new home and looking to buy extended warranty so I want to figure out which appliances generally has the highest chance of requiring repair (with usage factored in). Please note that I am not interested in a discussion about how extended warranties are pure profits.

I think I'll purchase an extended warranty for the Fridge, Dishwasher, and Washer for sure.

I'm not so sure about Dryer, Gas cooktop, Wall oven, and Hood fan.

Definitely don't think I need an extended warranty for microwave.

Thoughts?
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
If you are buying all Samsung, you should get extended warranty on them all.

For other brands, depends on how long of an extended warranty you are buying.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Never buy Samsung appliances.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
Don't buy Samsung nor LG appliances, stick with North American brands where you can get easily replacement parts. Save your money from extended warranty, nobody can predict when they fail.
Jul 17, 2018
317 posts
164 upvotes
Guys. I'm trying to figure out which particular appliances are less reliable. E.g. Is Fridge more likely to require repair vs. Dryer etc. Not whether Samsung sucks.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
GooseAkuma wrote: Guys. I'm trying to figure out which particular appliances are less reliable. E.g. Is Fridge more likely to require repair vs. Dryer etc. Not whether Samsung sucks.
Nobody would know; depend on the brand. We all need crystal ball.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Hood fans are pretty simple. Basically switch and motor (or at least the pricey one I have is basically this).

Clothes washer - depends on type. The low efficiency top load agitators are probably fairly reliable (especially if simple and uses a dial for controls). Electronic controls, less so.

Wall oven. Circuit boards can cook and non-black liners can crack if you use self-clean cycle (seriously).

Cook top, probably reliable

Dishwasher, depends on how much it'll set you back. They're pretty easy to move/install, and a basic model is quite cheap. Not necessarily worth fixing.

Fridge is probably the biggie (heavy to boot).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
I think you have this backwards. You should be asking which are the MOST reliable.

But I'm with you on which appliances to get ext warranties on.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
Tbh, stick with the North American brand and avoid
models with complicated electronics.

Why do you need wifi or touch screen or 15 customizations on your appliances? Stick to models with dials, buttons and switches. (If possible)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
tomtomtom wrote: If you are buying all Samsung, you should get extended warranty on them all.

For other brands, depends on how long of an extended warranty you are buying.
And extended warranty on top of extended warranty.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1671 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
gbill2004 wrote: Never buy Samsung appliances.
Thanks for summing my life for the past 3 years. The previous owners bought samsung everything.... Dishwasher, fridge, induction oven, OTR microwave, washer, dryer. Thank god the furnace wasn't samsung too.
May 28, 2007
457 posts
198 upvotes
Peterborough
Dishwashers are they worst. Look at extended warranties and you will see they are the most expensive. Lots of cheap plastic parts mixed with some of the strongest chemicals in the house...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
The real question is.. what is the one appliance you cannot live without when it dies... FRIDGE.
The rest you can get by for a few days.

Had the main board of an Samsung die 1 month AFTER the ext warranty expired... best part.. discontinued model .. so even tho I paid 150 to diagnose ..we could not get the part.... Samsung is known to put models on EOL very quickly.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Gee wrote: Why do you want to buy the least most reliable appliance with extended warranty? You plan to make a lot of claims?
Also think about the inconvenience when an appliance fails, especially a fridge where there is potential for food spoilage.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Mars2012 wrote: Also think about the inconvenience when an appliance fails, especially a fridge where there is potential for food spoilage.
Exactly. We lost over $200 in food due to spoilage the last time the fridge died.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)