Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 28, 2010
90 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Leather car seat DIY repair?

I tried to repair a small hole caused by a cigarette burn, and I think I made a mess of things....this is the driver's side seat of a Honda CRV:

https://flic.kr/p/uJ8xZ1

https://flic.kr/p/v1ZFEB

https://flic.kr/p/u4GJUj

https://flic.kr/p/v1HaBX

Here is what I did:

1) I bought a cheap leather restoration kit online:
http://www.amazon.ca/ReStor--Leather-Re ... Repair+Kit

2) followed the instructions. I cut away the burnt fabric around the damaged area (and made the hole bigger--it's about 1 inch in diameter now).

3) cut a piece of the backing fabric slightly larger than the hole, tucked it into the hole (what you see in the photos inside the hole is the backing fabric).

4) mixed the colour compouned and applied it. Slappined a grain paper on top. The problem was that because of the damaged area is not leveled, I didn't have anything I could use to apply

weight on the grain paper while the colour compound was drying, and I wasn't going to stand beside my car out in the sun for an hour...

So...did I screw up? Any ideas?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5839 posts
2088 upvotes
Space
Go to the junkyard and buy another seat. I've never seen a DIY leather repair come out well on colors other than black. Try calling an upholstery shop and see what they say? Either way the cheapest option is to get a good seat from the wreckers.
Mar 5, 2015
157 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Shouldn't trust to all preparations. Now what you can do only is to change whole upholstery.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
pictures are not working for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2245 posts
1211 upvotes
Calgary
Hi,

I was going to make a thread on this about leather repair that I have done. The problem is that in your case you have a lighter color and you have only tried that portion. Your best bet is to take it to a restorer to get it done. You dont need to buy a whole new seat. On the other hand you could still fix this. This is what you have to get: 1. Leather putty or filler. You then have to sand it with a higher grit sand paper. After youre done you have to re-dye the whole section of the leather. this will make sure that the leather color match. As someone said it is easier with black color but in your case it can still work but for the trouble youre going through might as well call a professional.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2010
90 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
masarwar wrote: Hi,

I was going to make a thread on this about leather repair that I have done. The problem is that in your case you have a lighter color and you have only tried that portion. Your best bet is to take it to a restorer to get it done. You dont need to buy a whole new seat. On the other hand you could still fix this. This is what you have to get: 1. Leather putty or filler. You then have to sand it with a higher grit sand paper. After youre done you have to re-dye the whole section of the leather. this will make sure that the leather color match. As someone said it is easier with black color but in your case it can still work but for the trouble youre going through might as well call a professional.
Thanks for that.

I called around for pricing of restorers and was quoted roughly $200 for a patch job and $350 for a replacement of the panel.

Let's say I am ok if the colour doesn't match pefectly, and I just want the hole repaired so it doesn't spread and there are no visible seams, can you recommend either 1) what I can purchase from Home Depot or; 2) restorer in the GTA area?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2245 posts
1211 upvotes
Calgary
yupper99 wrote: Thanks for that.

I called around for pricing of restorers and was quoted roughly $200 for a patch job and $350 for a replacement of the panel.

Let's say I am ok if the colour doesn't match pefectly, and I just want the hole repaired so it doesn't spread and there are no visible seams, can you recommend either 1) what I can purchase from Home Depot or; 2) restorer in the GTA area?
Finding something in GTA might be hard
Your best bet is Amazon or eBay. Search for leather repair kit and get the one that matches your color. You could just buy the leather putty and dye separate. The putty needs to match the color though . you should check out Amazon or eBay. Do you know what color is your leather? (Factory name)
[OP]
Nov 28, 2010
90 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
But I already tried a leather repair kit from Amazon (link in the original post). It made a mess of things. Can you recommend a better repair kit?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2245 posts
1211 upvotes
Calgary
yupper99 wrote: But I already tried a leather repair kit from Amazon (link in the original post). It made a mess of things. Can you recommend a better repair kit?
Hi, as per your pictures is the hole still there? what i am trying to ask is that is the hole completely patched up and the only issue now is the color? basically what you need to do is the dye to match. The problem is that you have two light colors and to make them match is a nightmare. What I recommend is to get this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100ML-pr ... 76865.html

Basically you will have to mask of the surrounding panel and then paint the whole panel. For instance in your case the hole seems to be in the seat support side (sorry i dont know the correct name of it). put some tape on the fabric on the side and then get this leather dye and paint it with the brush. This will be the best and least expensive fix for you. This is essentially what the shop will be doing. I am looking to get this as I have to blend a few portions on my own black leather seats.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2010
90 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks for the link to the dye. The issue now is that I messed up the repair job, so the hole is still there. What you see in the photo is the aftermath of the mess up. It's not a horrible mess up except for the fact that I cut around the edges of the original burn hole (to get rid of the burnt leather), and made the hole bigger (1 inch diameter now). I've inserted the fabric into the hole and it's bigger than the hole, so I can probably cut it to a smaller, more fitting bit, then try to fill the seams with...something. So I am wondering what leather putty you would recommend for this task, or even tape. I can probably worry about dye later.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
15873 posts
10559 upvotes
Toronto
The kit is only good as the person using it.

Go see a professional or go buy a new seat, or at least a seat cover from a wrecker.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)