Careers

Leaving after accepting an offer

  • Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 12:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Apr 22, 2015
279 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Leaving after accepting an offer

My wife got a job offer that must be signed by Friday however she is also doing the 2nd interview at another place on the same Friday. This 2nd place's job is vastly superior.

Can she sign it by Friday and then bail before starting if the gets the other job? Are there any legal ramifications.
41 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2014
829 posts
1413 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Sure, I'd do it as long as there were no employees that worked there that referred you (so you don't burn that bridge). They probably won't sweat it because they'll move onto the 2nd best candidate who still fresh/available.
Sr. Member
Feb 5, 2007
723 posts
320 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd take the job and only give notice if you have a signed offer from company2
[OP]
Member
Apr 22, 2015
279 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
leeoku wrote: I'd take the job and only give notice if you have a signed offer from company2
Thats the plan just want to make sure there are no legal issues
Jr. Member
Dec 21, 2009
183 posts
117 upvotes
Oakville
snowcow wrote: Thats the plan just want to make sure there are no legal issues
No issues - just be prepared to burn bridge. Also use the current offer to push the second interview quick. That was how I was able to push job process and offer within a 2 day turnaround and negotiate higher pay. Longer you wait, the more issues it will cause personally but not legally.
[OP]
Member
Apr 22, 2015
279 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
haskay wrote: No issues - just be prepared to burn bridge. Also use the current offer to push the second interview quick. That was how I was able to push job process and offer within a 2 day turnaround and negotiate higher pay. Longer you wait, the more issues it will cause personally but not legally.
Yes. Expediency is key. The sooner we tell the first place the faster then can get someone. Don't wanna screw them
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4834 posts
3701 upvotes
snowcow wrote: Yes. Expediency is key. The sooner we tell the first place the faster then can get someone. Don't wanna screw them
Considering they're technically in the interview phase I don't see as a big deal or burning bridges - they can just go to their second choice. If they don't have one then they should have offered your wife a better compensation package.
[OP]
Member
Apr 22, 2015
279 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jon Lai wrote: What kind of job is this for? Unless it's for an entry-level position, companies are usually more than willing to be flexible if you tell them you need more time to think about it. The date on the offer isn't always set in stone.
Engineering. Not entry level
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45822 posts
6323 upvotes
Richmond Hill
snowcow wrote: Engineering. Not entry level
In that case I would just be brutally honest to the recruiter and ask for more time.

I had a recruiter send me an offer late Thursday night with a date on the offer as 5pm the following Monday. I did not even bring it up to them that it was an unreasonably short amount of time - I was upfront and told them there's another opportunity I am pursuing, and because it's at the late stage of the process, out of fairness and for the investment I put into the process, I'd like to work through that process as well. In the end, I did sign with them, but the date I signed was over a week after the date requested on the offer.

For a non-entry level position, they want the person, they're not just looking to fill an opening.
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2005
776 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
There should be no legal implications, but I would suggest asking for an extension with them using facts (another concurrent opportunity). If they don't accomodate this, I am not sure if you guys want to work for them.
Speaking from leadership level, I've provided the extension 100% of the time.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12427 posts
8924 upvotes
Edmonton
snowcow wrote: Engineering. Not entry level
To me, the biggest concern wouldn't be legal. You're allowed to quit a job at anytime, subject to any limitations/penalties in your contract. But the risk from a reputational point of view is significant. Best bet is to negotiate a proper delay

C
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1782 posts
1527 upvotes
Ottawa
Definitely consider the reputation impact.

I notice you're in Ottawa. If job #2 is a government process, expect at least 1 month from the interview to a formal offer, more likely 2+.
[OP]
Member
Apr 22, 2015
279 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Dynatos wrote: Definitely consider the reputation impact.

I notice you're in Ottawa. If job #2 is a government process, expect at least 1 month from the interview to a formal offer, more likely 2+.
Both are private.
Newbie
Apr 27, 2021
18 posts
14 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: Definitely consider the reputation impact.

I notice you're in Ottawa. If job #2 is a government process, expect at least 1 month from the interview to a formal offer, more likely 2+.
hah 1 month is exceptionally fast for government. especially as an external applicant who has to do all the security clearance stuff.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1681 posts
1191 upvotes
Montreal, QC
snowcow wrote: My wife got a job offer that must be signed by Friday however she is also doing the 2nd interview at another place on the same Friday. This 2nd place's job is vastly superior.

Can she sign it by Friday and then bail before starting if the gets the other job? Are there any legal ramifications.
She can do it but as others have mentioned, your wife just needs to be aware that she will probably be blacklisted from the first company (burning bridges).

I was working at a company and the company had hired a person for a 1 year term (with the possibility of extension but no guarantees) and the person agreed to work but mentioned he would start in 2 weeks as he needed to give his then current employer notice. We received notice that this person would be joining our team. However, during these 2 weeks, he got a permanent job for slightly more money (from what I heard) from a "competitor" and decided to work there so didn't show up (he notified us that he accepted another position a few days before his start date).

Not that this person would re-apply for the same position but the company would definitely not hire him.

In the end, the individual must do what he/she believes is right for him/her.

I know someone else who was hired and within 1 month, he received an offer for a job that he really wanted which he interviewed for prior to getting the job and he left (during the training period). The person knows that he won't be rehired by this company for leaving after such a short time of being hired (and not really being productive during that time).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 23, 2008
5756 posts
1467 upvotes
Milton
haskay wrote: No issues - just be prepared to burn bridge. Also use the current offer to push the second interview quick. That was how I was able to push job process and offer within a 2 day turnaround and negotiate higher pay. Longer you wait, the more issues it will cause personally but not legally.
similar situation, how would you communicate (politely im assuming) to the HR recruiter about pushing for a second interview?
[OP]
Member
Apr 22, 2015
279 posts
200 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
spena wrote: similar situation, how would you communicate (politely im assuming) to the HR recruiter about pushing for a second interview?
We decided to not do anything. She's going to take the offer that expires tomorrow at end of day if we don't hear from 2nd.

The 2nd interview for the better job is tomorrow but we don't know how long they will take to decide.

We really don't want to screw over the first company but we don't have any other options. It is very unlikely 2nd company will make a decision same day after a 2nd interview.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1449 posts
1271 upvotes
snowcow wrote: We decided to not do anything. She's going to take the offer that expires tomorrow at end of day if we don't hear from 2nd.

The 2nd interview for the better job is tomorrow but we don't know how long they will take to decide.

We really don't want to screw over the first company but we don't have any other options. It is very unlikely 2nd company will make a decision same day after a 2nd interview.
She should tell the 2nd company she has an offer from another place and she needs to make a decision by some time next week. That way she can go back to company 1 even after accepting the cover and decline it next week.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45822 posts
6323 upvotes
Richmond Hill
snowcow wrote: We decided to not do anything. She's going to take the offer that expires tomorrow at end of day if we don't hear from 2nd.

The 2nd interview for the better job is tomorrow but we don't know how long they will take to decide.

We really don't want to screw over the first company but we don't have any other options. It is very unlikely 2nd company will make a decision same day after a 2nd interview.
Did you even attempt to ask the company for an extension?

Top