Careers

Leaving federal civil service in ottawa to the private sector in toronto with a CMA?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2012 12:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes

Leaving federal civil service in ottawa to the private sector in toronto with a CMA?

I have a friend who graduated with a B.Com in accounting, earned his CMA last year, and was hired last year as a senior analyst with the federal government earning $60,000 to start, and to earn around $90,000 in 5 years based on the current senior analyst contract, unless he gets a promotion in the interim.

His girlfriend is movig to toronto for a better job, and he is thinking to move there to join her. As the federal department he works for does not have a branch office in toronto, his option is to find a job in the private sector. The concern is to find a "comparable" job with similar pay and similar employment benefits in Toronto. He searched the internet and notes that the cost of living in toronto is about $6000 higher than in ottawa.

He went to a couple of employment agencies a month ago, but so far has not heard back from them. Any suggestions to find a job, expected salary and employment benefits (pension, vacation leave, etc)?
12 replies
Member
Jan 18, 2011
391 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto has one of the highest per capita rates of CMA holders in the world. Combined with the negative stigma of public service workers, and it's no wonder why they arne't hearing back. He should stick to Ottawa and a guaranteed job. Girlfriends come and go - but opportunities for a solid career are far rarer.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1434 posts
123 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
jedi1648 wrote: I have a friend who graduated with a B.Com in accounting, earned his CMA last year, and was hired last year as a senior analyst with the federal government earning $60,000 to start, and to earn around $90,000 in 5 years based on the current senior analyst contract, unless he gets a promotion in the interim.

His girlfriend is movig to toronto for a better job, and he is thinking to move there to join her. As the federal department he works for does not have a branch office in toronto, his option is to find a job in the private sector. The concern is to find a "comparable" job with similar pay and similar employment benefits in Toronto. He searched the internet and notes that the cost of living in toronto is about $6000 higher than in ottawa.

He went to a couple of employment agencies a month ago, but so far has not heard back from them. Any suggestions to find a job, expected salary and employment benefits (pension, vacation leave, etc)?
Job agencies aren't the answer. I think his best bet is to try to find an equivalent type position in the public sector (hard) or have enough experience in his department that a private company will want to hire him specifically because of his knowledge of how that department works.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
alpharius wrote: He should stick to Ottawa and a guaranteed job. - but opportunities for a solid career are far rarer.
He in fact is giving up a chance for upcoming promotion here in ottawa, for moving to toronto.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
flyinggonzo wrote: Job agencies aren't the answer. I think his best bet is to try to find an equivalent type position in the public sector .
I agree that would be ideal, because he can then transfer his defined benefit pension into it. The unfortunate thing is that his departement does not have a branch office in toronto.
Banned
Nov 12, 2008
807 posts
19 upvotes
Upending your career for a "gf" is idiotic. I have seen too many men and specially women do this with many regrets after the relationship ends. A wife may be worth it but not a gf. He can always drive down here on weekends for now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
kamilio wrote: Upending your career for a "gf" is idiotic. I have seen too many men and specially women do this with many regrets after the relationship ends.
But, a young man does not always just using his brain to think, LOL
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
178 upvotes
kamilio wrote: Upending your career for a "gf" is idiotic. I have seen too many men and specially women do this with many regrets after the relationship ends. A wife may be worth it but not a gf. He can always drive down here on weekends for now.
+1 the girlfriend can look for that better job in Ottawa.
Member
May 18, 2006
407 posts
29 upvotes
Etobicoke
Hi there,
I did what you're looking to do - and did it 3 years ago.
But it wasnt for anyone.

If you're in Ottawa, and have someone who can support you to learn french - STICK IT OUT.
PM me if you want.
Member
May 18, 2006
407 posts
29 upvotes
Etobicoke
forgot to mention....

almost 50% of FI's in regional offices have received a WFA affected letter.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9377 posts
1434 upvotes
If it was me with CMA in that government job in Ottawa, I would stay. Give himself another opportunity to go out with other French girls.

Gfs come and go, but career/solid job with advancement rarely come. So I say OP, stay in Ottawa.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2005
6831 posts
344 upvotes
Ottawa
kamilio wrote: Upending your career for a "gf" is idiotic. I have seen too many men and specially women do this with many regrets after the relationship ends. A wife may be worth it but not a gf. He can always drive down here on weekends for now.
I did it and have no regrets because at the time it was one of the best decisions for me. I learned a lot during those years and am a lot smarter because of it too. So yeah, was kind of a career killer move but I learned a lot of other skills that's helpful for my current career and met great people. I guess I take it as a life experience and you grow from it.

OP, tell your friend to not listen to some of the negative comments because he has to do what he feels is the best decision. Don't let the fact that your career may take a small dip deter you from moving. You have to make compromises in a relationship and to not be so selfish. If she wants to be in Toronto more than anything then go with her since accountants are fairly mobile. I wouldn't move without a job lined up as the competition in Toronto is tougher than Ottawa if you want to land a job you like (without just taking anything that comes your way). It's time to beef up the resume and skills! :D

Oh, he's moving to the land of majority of head quarters in Canada. What's there not to like? More higher level positions to strive for!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9377 posts
1434 upvotes
setell wrote: I did it and have no regrets because at the time it was one of the best decisions for me. I learned a lot during those years and am a lot smarter because of it too. So yeah, was kind of a career killer move but I learned a lot of other skills that's helpful for my current career and met great people. I guess I take it as a life experience and you grow from it.

OP, tell your friend to not listen to some of the negative comments because he has to do what he feels is the best decision. Don't let the fact that your career may take a small dip deter you from moving. You have to make compromises in a relationship and to not be so selfish. If she wants to be in Toronto more than anything then go with her since accountants are fairly mobile. I wouldn't move without a job lined up as the competition in Toronto is tougher than Ottawa if you want to land a job you like (without just taking anything that comes your way). It's time to beef up the resume and skills! :D

Oh, he's moving to the land of majority of head quarters in Canada. What's there not to like? More higher level positions to strive for!
You are right. The Torontonians / Immigrants will eat the OP alive. That's how the competition is in Tdot.

Top