• Jan 13th, 2015 6:14 am
[OP]
Sep 16, 2008
68 posts
41 upvotes
Kamloops, BC

LED Bulbs in Canada

Good day everyone;

I've been looking to replace the ~25 BR30 incandescent bulbs :idea: I have in my home with more energy efficient ones. After searching around for an hour or so, it doesn't appear as I have a ton of options.

18-19 dollars seems to be going rate for GE/Phillips type bulbs, as seen here:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ge-energy-s ... 0135442638
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/led-105 ... ite/812284

Anyone have any advice on finding these a little cheaper? Do they usually go on sale? Is there some very hidden canadian bulb site I should be going to? Any advice is appreciated. I typically wouldn't post something about bulbs, but with the quantity I require, I'm looking at about $500 worth of lights right now. Thank-you!

Dave
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36813 posts
4976 upvotes
Winnipeg
just bought more than a dozen philips at $5 a piece, would've bought more but already cleaned out the stores
i bought some LED bulb before at costco at $5 a piece after the rebates, but LD offered straight up discount which works out the same
WTB amazon gc @90%
[OP]
Sep 16, 2008
68 posts
41 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Well that's a heck of a deal, lucky you.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
rona has coupons on bulbs which have the energy star logo on them so try over their
[OP]
Sep 16, 2008
68 posts
41 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
It doesn't look like Rona carries LED BR30's.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5872 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Costco had a deal for BR30 LED bulbs.

Unless you prefer the BR30 type, you can go for PAR20 bulbs... I have fixtures that are the size of BR30's. However I put PAR20's in them. I personally prefer it due to the fact the bulb is hidden and the lighting becomes more recessed.

I recommend purchasing bulbs on ebay. The PAR20's i'm using are from ebay at $5 a bulb. The quality is surprisingly good with no signs of them "blowing up" as many users may say that's what ebay bulbs do.

You'll have to know what you're looking for on ebay though. You can't just hop on and buy the first cheap led bulb you find. I spent a bit of time searching for specific qualities of the bulb from the pictures listed. And in turn, I received quality bulbs.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
[OP]
Sep 16, 2008
68 posts
41 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Thanks in regards to the PAR20/BR30 tip, I wasn't aware of that.

Any recommendations for what I should be looking for in an ebay bulb, or a website that might detail the qualities/attributes I'd be looking for based on the listed picture?