• Aug 29th, 2019 10:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo

LED Bulbs rated for -40 ( outdoor use )

Has anyone comes across bulbs rated for -40 or -45. I'm sick of changing my outside bulbs.

Best Ive seen is -20 for some GE bulbs.
----
Pay it forward.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6630 posts
3601 upvotes
Mississauga
How cold do you expect it to get in Waterloo?

I’ve been running Crappy Tire Noma branded ones for a couple of years in my outdoor fixtures without any issues. I always thought heat was the enemy for LED’s?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
mrweather wrote: How cold do you expect it to get in Waterloo?

I’ve been running Crappy Tire Noma branded ones for a couple of years in my outdoor fixtures without any issues. I always thought heat was the enemy for LED’s?
for all electronic products ( altho its not widely cited ) a very low temperate can kill also since it wrecks havoc with the voltage control components. -25 is something we see every winter.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16854 posts
18591 upvotes
Oakville
mrweather wrote: How cold do you expect it to get in Waterloo?

Same here. I have several Noma LED's that have been outdoors for a few years.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
engineered wrote: Same here. I have several Noma LED's that have been outdoors for a few years.
GTA isnt the same as not GTA :P

GTA hardly get any winter nowadays.

Ive tried CREE, Noma , Homedepot special EcoSmart ( had three Eco-smart fail on me in the past few months so I dont think its winter related but it might be progressive damage ). Maybe these brands have a special line . Even the GE I mentioned only has -20 minimum start temperature specified on some lines only.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16854 posts
18591 upvotes
Oakville
Supahhh wrote: GTA isnt the same as not GTA :P

Ive tried CREE, Noma , Homedepot special EcoSmart ( had three Eco-smart fail on me in the past few months so I dont think its winter related but it might be progressive damage ). Maybe these brands have a special line . Even the GE I mentioned only has -20 minimum start temperature specified on some lines only.
I'm 50k away from you in Oakville. You're avg winter temp is 2C lower than here, you're telling me that makes Waterloo a frostbitten wasteland?
https://en.climate-data.org/north-ameri ... rloo-2934/
https://en.climate-data.org/north-ameri ... lle-47343/
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16854 posts
18591 upvotes
Oakville
Supahhh wrote: GTA isnt the same as not GTA :P

How long do you leave them on? Mine are on a timer and come on from dusk to dawn. What kind of fixture are they in? Are they getting wet? Are they getting too hot in the summer?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12343 posts
6916 upvotes
Brampton
I bet they are getting to hot in the summer damaging the solder joints and the winter causes them to crack.
My bet is on the fixture being too enclosed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
engineered wrote: How long do you leave them on? Mine are on a timer and come on from dusk to dawn. What kind of fixture are they in? Are they getting wet? Are they getting too hot in the summer?
they remain on all night .
I dont believe they are getting too hot since there is airflow thru the fixture. Also some bulbs I have put in in the fall and only to have them fail in the winter. ON the CREE ones Ive noticed the LED themselves burnt up , so im pretty sure its a voltage control issue due to the cold.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16854 posts
18591 upvotes
Oakville
Supahhh wrote: they remain on all night .
I dont believe they are getting too hot since there is airflow thru the fixture. Also some bulbs I have put in in the fall and only to have them fail in the winter. ON the CREE ones Ive noticed the LED themselves burnt up , so im pretty sure its a voltage control issue due to the cold.
Could it be a wiring issue? Seems odd that you would experience so many failures.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
engineered wrote: Could it be a wiring issue? Seems odd that you would experience so many failures.
Just received more of the GE ones today will try them out to see.
----
Pay it forward.
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
755 upvotes
Ontario
Quick fact. KW has never dropped to -40C.
Oct 2, 2018
727 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
All my outside lights are LED (Cree, Phillips) and live in Toronto, have never had any issues with cold temps affecting durability or longevity.

Had some issues with indoor LED lights both Cree and Phillip's with 1 in 10 bulbs failing within 2 years, after that 2 years everything has been awesome no other failures since. I attribute that fail rate to being an early adopter for LED, so quality control likely the cause. Has been 5 years since converting everything to LED and no failures at all after those first 2 years.

I must have close to 100 LED bulbs inside and outside, a few more in the garage.

Never a cold related issue, sounds like you may have another culprit like excessive heat in summer which in turn causes cold weather failure, or voltage line noise.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10386 posts
5603 upvotes
Paris
Copper1212 wrote: Quick fact. KW has never dropped to -40C.
The airport never has, which is typically at a higher point. Low lying areas can certainly get significantly colder than higher areas. For simple proof, ride a motorcycle at night at this time of year. The temp goes from comfortable to friggin freezing within a few kilometres and back again. It’s very weird.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10386 posts
5603 upvotes
Paris
Supahhh wrote: Just received more of the GE ones today will try them out to see.
Is it possible it’s voltage regulation from the utility? We have that issue in Paris with Christmas lights which are typically not rated for more than 120 volts but spikes take them out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
Jerico wrote: Is it possible it’s voltage regulation from the utility? We have that issue in Paris with Christmas lights which are typically not rated for more than 120 volts but spikes take them out.
christmas lights = cold weather . So it could be either issue.

From what I gather some people who live in cold climates do have that issue, but I haven't seen a real answer since most people who are answering don't live in cold climates.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4867 posts
1406 upvotes
Wat
Gotta be your wiring.. I'm using LED bulbs outdoors (Waterloo) and never had a failure: Luminous, ecosmart and feit. It's been over 5 years I think?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16854 posts
18591 upvotes
Oakville
A quick google search only returned positives about using LED in the cold. Maybe you could take apart your failed bulbs to see why they failed. Maybe you'll find corrosion, or a bad solder joint, or a fried part.
The advantage of LED is the extra long life, and, they all have no problem coming on in very cold temperatures. In fact, LEDs get more efficient as the ambient temperature gets lower.
The cooler you could keep the LED, the longer it would last.
https://www.topbulb.com/blog/bulb-optio ... d-climate/
https://www.quora.com/Will-cold-weather ... -outdoors/
http://www.lanetechsales.com/led-lighti ... onditions/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
Wiseman wrote: Gotta be your wiring.. I'm using LED bulbs outdoors (Waterloo) and never had a failure: Luminous, ecosmart and feit. It's been over 5 years I think?
We do get frequent brownouts , it almost seems like everytime it rains, so could be a neighborhood issue.
Copper1212 wrote: Quick fact. KW has never dropped to -40C.
There is varios grades of semiconductors and devices , consumer. Industrial and Military. Their varios operating tempratures are {Commercial: 0 ° to 70 °C. Industrial: −40 ° to 85 °C. Military: −55 ° to 125 °C.}
I never said KW reached a temprature of -40. I just stated that it regularly reached tempratures way below whats experienced in GTA. But here a -35 report for your enjoyment.
Last edited by Supahhh on Aug 27th, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4703 posts
904 upvotes
rural ontario
Canadian Tire has -40C cold rated noma LED bulbs in the clearance section for those frosty cold days out here in the barren winter wastelands.