• Feb 11th, 2016 12:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 2, 2005
943 posts
11 upvotes
Markham

LED strip not working at switched outlet

I purchased a plug-in LED strip with power supply on eBay.
It works on regular power outlets. However, it does not seem to work on the one outlet that is switched from the wall.
The outlet is has the switch the top plug, the bottom plug is always powered. The strip would work on the bottom plug but not the top plug.
The plug works when I try it with regular desk lamps though.
Anyone has any idea why please? I want to be able to turn it off and on from the wall.
Thanks.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4225 posts
858 upvotes
Ottawa
The polarity of the wiring in the wall is probably reversed. LEDs don't like that. Use a plug in circuit tester to confirm. although, the receptacle has a common neutral, unless the handyman that put it in didn't do it right and broke the break off tab on the wrong side of the receptacle.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2675 upvotes
Vancouver
No, LEDs don't care about the AC polarity.

Your outlet may be using an electronic triac switch. They work fine with traditional resistive loads like incandescent bulbs, but they don't like capacitive or inductive loads like CFL or LED bulbs. The only solution is if you can pair a small incandescent bulb like a night-lite with the LED/CFL on a dual outlet to give the triac some resistive load.
Nov 23, 2012
129 posts
40 upvotes
Ontario
Put a new outlet in.

Black to brass to save your a$$

Confirm tab is broken on bra$$ side.

I'm curious what would happen if before you did anything, you plugged something with surge protection into that outlet... I'm thinking your going to get sparks and smoke... and ruin whatever you plug into it... nevermind... don't try it...
[OP]
Dec 2, 2005
943 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
Thanks all. Haven't had time to replace the plug yet.

I should mention that the LED worked on that plug before, but not anymore. Sometimes I will get a flash when I plug or unplug it.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2005
943 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
update - changed the plug but still the same. I suspect it's the power supply now as I can sometimes get it to work. Ordered a new one and will see what happens.