Home & Garden

? LED T8 tube light - old Magnetic Ballast ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2019 3:14 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 14, 2008
68 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton

? LED T8 tube light - old Magnetic Ballast ?

I bought a 2 pack of Honeywell LED tubes from Factorydriect.com - $11.96 with coupon this week - reg $20

Didn't research. No info in flyer or packaging.

Plug and play - from Honeywell website - use in compatible electronic ballast fixture.

Would this work at all in an older magnet ballast fixture ?

TIA
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2892 posts
1123 upvotes
"Plug and Play"

let us know~!
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2213 posts
1561 upvotes
SW Ontario
Probably not.

Electronic ballast operate at 20,000Hz .... Magnetic ballast operate at only 60Hz.

If it does work, I suspect the results won't be desirable and may effect lifespan being LED
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
Usually won't work. The easiest solution is just to bypass the old ballast since it's no longer needed, but there are electrical code issues with modifying a light fixture in many jurisdictions.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9128 posts
4669 upvotes
Paris
If these were useable in bypassed ballasts hot deal.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1150 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: Usually won't work. The easiest solution is just to bypass the old ballast since it's no longer needed, but there are electrical code issues with modifying a light fixture in many jurisdictions.
How is the tubes going to work without a ballast? They still need a ballast to work properly.
Member
Jan 1, 2012
269 posts
52 upvotes
KINGSTON
fusion2k2k wrote: How is the tubes going to work without a ballast? They still need a ballast to work properly.
LED T8 doesn’t require a fluorescent ballast to operate. Bypass or remove the ballast for best (or any) result.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
fusion2k2k wrote: How is the tubes going to work without a ballast? They still need a ballast to work properly.
No. Florescent tubes need a ballast. LED tubes don't, although they may offer optional support for being mounted in old fixtures that have an electronic ballast originally meant for florescent tubes.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1150 upvotes
Depends on the type, the OP never specified but for 12 bucks I doubt they have a driver - they are probably just a direct swap and keep the existing ballast.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2213 posts
1561 upvotes
SW Ontario
sgsmith wrote: LED T8 doesn’t require a fluorescent ballast to operate. Bypass or remove the ballast for best (or any) result.
Then why are they a T8 bulb then? ... They definitely require a ballast as OP states it says use in electronic ballast ...

If you don't understand electrical wiring and circuits, don't offer advise that could hurt someone.

Here's the info on the same bulb from Home Depot
Images
  • Screenshot_20190224-202953_Samsung Internet.jpg
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Member
Jan 1, 2012
269 posts
52 upvotes
KINGSTON
Jojo_Madman wrote: Then why are they a T8 bulb then? ... They definitely require a ballast as OP states it says use in electronic ballast ...

If you don't understand electrical wiring and circuits, don't offer advise that could hurt someone.

Here's the info on the same bulb from Home Depot
LED lighting in itself, does not require a fluorescent ballast. We have multiple T8 LED bulbs with ballasts removed.

The Honeywell bulb is touting itself as a plug and play for compatible electronic (high frequency) ballast fixtures. The circuitry in the bulb that permits that will often also permit running w/o a ballast as long as the fixture wiring agrees with the detailed instructions included with the bulb.

The “compatible ballast” description was the clue for me that the bulbs could probably be wired w/o ballasts as not everyone will have compatible ballasts and Honeywell will want the consumer to have options w/o returning them.

The detailed instructions should cover all that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9128 posts
4669 upvotes
Paris
Jojo_Madman wrote: Then why are they a T8 bulb then? ... They definitely require a ballast as OP states it says use in electronic ballast ...
I believe T8 is also referred to as a size for hookups like an Edison base is used. I have seen T8 LEDs that do and do not require ballasts.

Do these have a driver in them? Anyone know?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2213 posts
1561 upvotes
SW Ontario
sgsmith wrote: LED lighting in itself, does not require a fluorescent ballast. We have multiple T8 LED bulbs with ballasts removed.

The Honeywell bulb is touting itself as a plug and play for compatible electronic (high frequency) ballast fixtures. The circuitry in the bulb that permits that will often also permit running w/o a ballast as long as the fixture wiring agrees with the detailed instructions included with the bulb.

The “compatible ballast” description was the clue for me that the bulbs could probably be wired w/o ballasts as not everyone will have compatible ballasts and Honeywell will want the consumer to have options w/o returning them.

The detailed instructions should cover all that.
Removing ballast presents a safety hazard, for both the uneducated person doing it and rewiring, as well as the next person who just assumes there is a ballast in the lighting device.

The reason they are marketing it as plug and play is simply to address these safety issues with selling a "will fit" device and having someone try to bypass the electrical internals.

Do they come with a label stating such to affix to the access cover?
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...

Top