• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 12:53 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 20, 2019
1 posts

Legal Basement

Hi,

We had our basement inspected and apparently its not legal because of one reason. There isn't plastic sheet in between the walls where there is insulation. But I don't see this as a requirement anywhere in the code. It would cost $15,000 to do this.

Is it a requirement to have plastic in the walls?

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6651 posts
3613 upvotes
Mississauga
OP you need to tell us where you live so that the appropriate building code can be referenced.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17117 posts
14517 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mrweather wrote: OP you need to tell us where you live so that the appropriate building code can be referenced.
Yup

As someone new to RFD, you need to edit your RFD Profile
So it shows some sort of relative location info ... be it the Province / Region, or nearby City or Town
This info will appear under your user name in all your posts, and serve as a point of reference to other RFDers
Cuz this website is used by Cdns right across Canada
And well, things can differ greatly from Nfld in the east, to BC in the west
Or Point Pelee in the middle of Lake Erie in the south, to the northern communities of Nunavut

Be it Provincial Building Codes, Local Grocery Stores, or anything else folks want to talk about on RFD

If you look at my RFD Info it shows I am in Eastern Ontario
While the info for @mrweather says Mississauga
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
I think it's called a Vapour Barrier.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1155 upvotes
The vapour barrier prevents condensation from occurring between the warm house and the cold exterior. Without it, you'll get mold and moisture issues. It'll be expensive but necessary to repair.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3447 posts
2430 upvotes
Toronto
Legal for what exactly? A rental apartment? Grow-up? Bare knuckle fighting? Why was the basement inspected? By whom?

Sooooooo many questions that I expect will never be answered. Another bot-post to keep us creating content and generating page views.