Home & Garden

Is it legal to install artificial grass to cover backyard entirely?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 12:02 pm
[OP]
Jun 17, 2017
202 posts
24 upvotes

Is it legal to install artificial grass to cover backyard entirely?

in York Region, ON
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1298 posts
1020 upvotes
Your municipality will have a minimum soft-scaping requirement. Look that up.

Then while you are there, check to see if they define artificial turf as hardscaping or softscaping. A lot actually say artificial turf is hardscaping, which is way its not allowed.

That said, if you had gardens, planters, etc, you may be able to hit the softscaping requirements with that alone and can do the rest in artificial grass.
Nov 9, 2005
975 posts
354 upvotes
What is the going rate these days? Looking to get it installed as well. Got two dogs so I am sick of reseeding/resodding yearly.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1298 posts
1020 upvotes
Cybersid wrote: What is the going rate these days? Looking to get it installed as well. Got two dogs so I am sick of reseeding/resodding yearly.
More than most people think. You're probably looking at a similar price to getting pavers put in, with a range in the quality of product you get.

I also wouldn't bother with the cheaper stuff.
Nov 10, 2019
303 posts
226 upvotes
Paved cardboard sheets over, spread bale of straw and voila, headache gone. Not the prettiest but sure works like a charm
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2980 posts
650 upvotes
Ancaster
I can't see artificial grass being considered hardscaping as it is water permeable similar to real grass.

Just ask the contractor you are getting the quote from.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1298 posts
1020 upvotes
nielboy wrote: I can't see artificial grass being considered hardscaping as it is water permeable similar to real grass.
Look at you, trying to use science and stuff.

Toronto (and other places too) don't care for your logic.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4903 posts
3808 upvotes
Artificial grass is HIGHLY detrimental to the environmental PLEASE don't do this. It's better to have weeds than going this route.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5025 posts
1888 upvotes
healsio wrote: in York Region, ON
It's your own backyard. You can do whatever you want.

My sister lives in Markham and her entire backyard is paved.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jan 7, 2013
754 posts
419 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Clover is a good option for dogs too it seems. Stays green all summer long. Soft underfoot. Isn't plastic. I'm letting it take over my backyard lol.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8288 posts
2912 upvotes
Maple
jdmfishingonly wrote: It's your own backyard. You can do whatever you want.

My sister lives in Markham and her entire backyard is paved.
Exactly this.

My back yard has no grass for more than 2 years. We took out the grass, we turned it into Japanese garden with pebbles and beach rocks.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10388 posts
5604 upvotes
Paris
I knew one guy with an artificial backyard in Oakville. Had to vacuum his lawn when stuff fell on it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5858 posts
3417 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaidin wrote: Clover is a good option for dogs too it seems. Stays green all summer long. Soft underfoot. Isn't plastic. I'm letting it take over my backyard lol.
Clover is an okay ground cover but it does not give the same performance as grass - it browns up quite a bit earlier in the fall, slower to green up in the spring and is not as tolerant as grass for heavier traffic. It is, however, lower maintenance than grass.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5025 posts
1888 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Bylaws state otherwise.
and are there enough bylaw officers out there to check each and every house? NO! Only your so-called pain in the rear "pretend to be cops" (aka dumb nosy neighbours)
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45900 posts
6392 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jdmfishingonly wrote: and are there enough bylaw officers out there to check each and every house? NO! Only your so-called pain in the rear "pretend to be cops" (aka dumb nosy neighbours)
Well, there are reasons behind the bylaws - it's not just about enforcement. If there was no benefit of grass turf, then the bylaws wouldn't exist.

Everyone should do their own part in making sure our environment is sound, there is suitable water runoff, soil won't erode, UV is absorbed by the ground, etc... It's not just about "it's my backyard so I'll do whatever I want" attitude.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5025 posts
1888 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Well, there are reasons behind the bylaws - it's not just about enforcement. If there was no benefit of grass turf, then the bylaws wouldn't exist.

Everyone should do their own part in making sure our environment is sound, there is suitable water runoff, soil won't erode, UV is absorbed by the ground, etc... It's not just about "it's my backyard so I'll do whatever I want" attitude.
Whatever. I would pave my entire backyard and front yard if I wanted to ... but I like mowing the lawn and I like seeing grass

The only one I would probably do (when the time comes) ... rip out the asphalt driveway ... repave asphalt but have it widened on both sides so that I can accommodate 3 vehicles ...
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4851 posts
792 upvotes
Burlington
My backyard is made up of rocks, wood, and artificial grass. I only have like 3 living plants as I'm tired of taking out weeds everyday.

Next house I am repeating the process and removing all grass. Best decision I made as I can now enjoy my weekends instead of plucking weeds all day.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1142 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
jdmfishingonly wrote: Whatever. I would pave my entire backyard and front yard if I wanted to ... but I like mowing the lawn and I like seeing grass

The only one I would probably do (when the time comes) ... rip out the asphalt driveway ... repave asphalt but have it widened on both sides so that I can accommodate 3 vehicles ...
Yea do you know anything about grading? Didn’t think so. Paving everything causes issues for your neighbors water etc.

There are also bylaws about how wide you can widen. Based on your comments you seem to not care bout anyone but yourself
JS
Jul 12, 2019
47 posts
112 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: Whatever. I would pave my entire backyard and front yard if I wanted to ... but I like mowing the lawn and I like seeing grass

Exhibit A of why by-laws exist.