Home & Garden

Lennox 13ACXN024 $2600 installed, good deal?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 9:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1466 posts
340 upvotes
ORLEANS

Lennox 13ACXN024 $2600 installed, good deal?

Is it a good deal? Getting this installed at a new build. Taxes not included
Or is it better to get a goodman GSX130241 $2350 taxes included?
9 replies
Sr. Member
Oct 19, 2020
536 posts
337 upvotes
GTA
Palidino wrote: Is it a good deal? Getting this installed at a new build. Taxes not included
Or is it better to get a goodman GSX130241 $2350 taxes included?
Both are low grade builder's units.
The lennox is made in mexico, goodman in texas I believe.
Goodman in their tech guides now just says "energy efficient compressor", not type, so who knows what they're using. Compressor is the heart of the unit and the best is a scroll type.

If your budget allows, better to get a XC13 lennox over those units. Better quality, easier to take apart to clean, lower noise level. Could be $500+ more.

Installer is the most important though.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1838 upvotes
Second owner of 2 story detached 1800 sf home.

We still have the builder installed 2-Ton York Model AY024MA321A from 2006. No refrigerant in May 2020 ... had it recharged for $180 ... AC guy said it should last a year or two, Also asked about a new one ... quoted 2-ton Carrier for $3000 installed.

Rarely use the AC .. so not a big deal.

Ran the AC Unit for an hour two days ago just to check to see if it was good ... well ... it was good! So no need for a new AC Unit yet.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11503 posts
3221 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you are actually near Ottawa you should reach out to @1chinaman hes a good HVAC contractor on RFD and can give you some quotes and likely do a much better install
Palidino wrote: Is it a good deal? Getting this installed at a new build. Taxes not included
Or is it better to get a goodman GSX130241 $2350 taxes included?
Sr. Member
Jun 1, 2010
689 posts
190 upvotes
insertname2020 wrote: Both are low grade builder's units.
The lennox is made in mexico, goodman in texas I believe.
Goodman in their tech guides now just says "energy efficient compressor", not type, so who knows what they're using. Compressor is the heart of the unit and the best is a scroll type.

If your budget allows, better to get a XC13 lennox over those units. Better quality, easier to take apart to clean, lower noise level. Could be $500+ more.

Installer is the most important though.
Well said insertname 2020. The Lennox Merit series furnace and AC units are not the same as a Lennox made in the USA. The Merit Series is sold to any contractor over the counter and are builder grade units which competes with other budget builder grade brands such as Goodman, Luxair, Payne, Day & Night, Air Flow, Concord & Ducane.
Finding a reputable is extremely important, there are many contractors working out of the back of their truck with no fixed address. If you choose a premium product built in the USA please make sure the company selling these products are a authorized dealer.
See our 2021 RFD Trane AC Group Buy
group-buy-gta-ottawa-2021-central-ac-gr ... e-2449494/
Sr. Member
Oct 19, 2020
536 posts
337 upvotes
GTA
jdmfishingonly wrote: Second owner of 2 story detached 1800 sf home.

We still have the builder installed 2-Ton York Model AY024MA321A from 2006. No refrigerant in May 2020 ... had it recharged for $180 ... AC guy said it should last a year or two, Also asked about a new one ... quoted 2-ton Carrier for $3000 installed.

Rarely use the AC .. so not a big deal.

Ran the AC Unit for an hour two days ago just to check to see if it was good ... well ... it was good! So no need for a new AC Unit yet.
It's against the law to fill a a/c system without finding the leak and it must be fixed before recharging unless it is to prevent a danger to health. (https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... ctors.html)

Find a law abiding contractor when you want to replace.
You can report the crime if there's a sufficient paper trail/evidence - bet there isn't for obvious reasons and it was a cash job.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1838 upvotes
insertname2020 wrote: It's against the law to fill a a/c system without finding the leak and it must be fixed before recharging unless it is to prevent a danger to health. (https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... ctors.html)

Find a law abiding contractor when you want to replace.
You can report the crime if there's a sufficient paper trail/evidence - bet there isn't for obvious reasons and it was a cash job.
If it was only $180 and can last a couple more years .. Why not?

If it took 14 years to leak out, well, the leak is small. Maybe I can save the AC replacement for the guy that will by the house years down the road. Not my problem since I only use the AC once or twice a year.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Sr. Member
Oct 19, 2020
536 posts
337 upvotes
GTA
jdmfishingonly wrote: If it was only $180 and can last a couple more years .. Why not?

If it took 14 years to leak out, well, the leak is small. Maybe I can save the AC replacement for the guy that will by the house years down the road. Not my problem since I only use the AC once or twice a year.
Leak was probably not there for 14 years - its normally a sealed system, a leak is a defect, and its probably not cooling at full capacity now.
Might as well use it until it stops cooling at this point.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3600 posts
1148 upvotes
Edmonton
jdmfishingonly wrote: If it was only $180 and can last a couple more years .. Why not?

If it took 14 years to leak out, well, the leak is small. Maybe I can save the AC replacement for the guy that will by the house years down the road. Not my problem since I only use the AC once or twice a year.
As the above poster mentioned. You are clearly.kn the wrong and it doesn't matter if you use it once a year or 365 days, a leak is a leak and it is slowly going out.
It is definitely against the law to charge up any refrigerant without making sure there is no leaks. Special certification is needed aswell (I know cause I have it)
Refrigerant is damaging to the atmosphere and this is why it is a controlled substance

To make sure there is no leaks it needs to pass a pressure test and a vacuum test.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1838 upvotes
Changing out the pipes is a waste of money.

I don't care as long as it works. Ride it out until it's fully dead then get a new unit with new pipes.

It's the same with all those old cars out there with their pollution.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Top