Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] $1197 IdeaPad Slim 7 GTX (15”) 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, i5-10300H, GTX 1650

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2021 3:09 pm
[OP]
Jul 15, 2012
266 posts
70 upvotes
Calgary

[Lenovo Canada] $1197 IdeaPad Slim 7 GTX (15”) 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, i5-10300H, GTX 1650

Lenovo Canada has discounted this laptop to $1,200 again, previously it was this much in September from an ebay sale. This is a well-rounded laptop with both decent specs and premium build quality. Gaming performance is not bad and better than the latest integrated GPUs from AMD/Intel, however there are better options if your only use case is gaming.

Credit to previous thread that reminded me to check on this: ebay-canada-lenovo-ideapad-slim-7-gtx-1 ... x-2406093/
16 replies
Oct 24, 2009
867 posts
815 upvotes
Vancouver
Kudos to brave OP for posting this, get ready for the “cold deal not Ryzen” and “this price for GTX1650?!!!” posts.

All joking aside, this is a solid deal. Best to think of this as a budget X1 Extreme or XPS 15. Very similar in terms of specs and weight but you lose a little in terms of build quality (really just no carbon fibre). Screen is decent 300nits 100% srgb, similar to the base X1 Extreme.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5081 posts
1783 upvotes
Ottawa
cyber Monday X1E for $1420 all in with Quote&Rakuten is much better than this.
Jul 16, 2015
380 posts
174 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
sonyHdr12 wrote: cyber Monday X1E for $1420 all in with Quote&Rakuten is much better than this.
But is there something comparable now? I'm looking at the $1000 price range for a grade 8 nephew
Jun 8, 2017
164 posts
307 upvotes
Vancouver
sonyHdr12 wrote: cyber Monday X1E for $1420 all in with Quote&Rakuten is much better than this.
Thank you for your contribution, time traveller
Zoomer Wireless - $36/5GB
Jun 3, 2018
41 posts
48 upvotes
GitGudSam wrote: Thank you for your contribution, time traveller
It's useful to have historical comparisons. I don't get the tendency for RFDers like yourself to call out people for time traveling every time a reference is made to a past deal. If you don't compare current deals to past deals, then every single current deal would be a hot price since it is the best price that you can currently get -- this makes no sense at all.

As for this particular deal, I think it's a good price (assuming rakuten works), esp with a vid card, 16gb ram, and 1tb ssd, though I do prefer a ryzen cpu myself.
Jun 8, 2017
164 posts
307 upvotes
Vancouver
carsbli wrote: It's useful to have historical comparisons. I don't get the tendency for RFDers like yourself to call out people for time traveling every time a reference is made to a past deal. If you don't compare current deals to past deals, then every single current deal would be a hot price since it is the best price that you can currently get -- this makes no sense at all.

As for this particular deal, I think it's a good price (assuming rakuten works), esp with a vid card, 16gb ram, and 1tb ssd, though I do prefer a ryzen cpu myself.
It is indeed useful to compare previous deals. However like /u/dwfLuid mentioned I believe it's good to mention something comparable to it, but it looks like you do mention it's not that bad of a deal afterall. My apologies for the rude response.
Zoomer Wireless - $36/5GB
[OP]
Jul 15, 2012
266 posts
70 upvotes
Calgary
runeash wrote: How is this compared to asus rgo gaming
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... i/14583635
CPU performance is about the same, GPU in the ROG is slightly faster (5-10%). If I had to choose I would go with Lenovo since you get twice the RAM and SSD as well as better build quality for only $200 extra.
CPU performance on this one is much better (>20%) due to the Ryzen processor, GPU is the same. If you are using it primarily for gaming and not for travelling where battery life and build quality is important, then this is better than the Lenovo. If I had to pick between the two gaming laptops this is also the one I would get.
Sep 27, 2012
144 posts
67 upvotes
GVA
easylistener wrote:
This one should be slightly faster due to the better Ryzen CPU. If you are using it primarily for gaming and not for travelling where battery life and build quality is important, then it's not bad.
Yup this what I thought. My son mainly will be playing Fortnite and some very basic programming learning. May take to school but not much in next two years. There is nice ASUS lap top on London drugs https://www.londondrugs.com/asus-tuf-ga ... 71221.html but it $400 more with tax, it will be around $450+ more and don’t want to spend too much.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1621 posts
712 upvotes
carsbli wrote: It's useful to have historical comparisons. I don't get the tendency for RFDers like yourself to call out people for time traveling every time a reference is made to a past deal. If you don't compare current deals to past deals, then every single current deal would be a hot price since it is the best price that you can currently get -- this makes no sense at all.

I agree. If I plan to buy something I would like a historical price comparison if possible.

Sadly, in general, I'm seeing a lot of privileged, self righteous, and of troll like behavior in forums and online these days. Some sites like R***** actively promote this kind of behavior with downvoting and lack of moderation.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1403 posts
132 upvotes
Thanks @Ultimate12 for finding and @easylistener for comparison. Went with asus tuf.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... g/14637032

The review indicates it tends to get hot but let’s see what happens.

Anyone aware of any bestbuy promo codes. Rakuten has only 1% cash back

easylistener wrote: CPU performance is about the same, GPU in the ROG is slightly faster (5-10%). If I had to choose I would go with Lenovo since you get twice the RAM and SSD as well as better build quality for only $200 extra.

CPU performance on this one is much better (>20%) due to the Ryzen processor, GPU is the same. If you are using it primarily for gaming and not for travelling where battery life and build quality is important, then this is better than the Lenovo. If I had to pick between the two gaming laptops this is also the one I would get.
Jul 12, 2019
125 posts
603 upvotes
I have a bit better of a deal at $1,157 instead of $1,196 through EPP.
How do I stack it with Rakuten? Do I need to convert my cart to a quote after adding the laptop to cart through EPP and then convert quote to order through Rakuten link?
Jul 16, 2015
380 posts
174 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
sheyenne wrote: I agree. If I plan to buy something I would like a historical price comparison if possible.

Sadly, in general, I'm seeing a lot of privileged, self righteous, and of troll like behavior in forums and online these days. Some sites like R***** actively promote this kind of behavior with downvoting and lack of moderation.
Not to derail this thread or taking any sides in this debate, but I think historical comparisons are fine, but they mean nothing if there isn't anything immediately comparable. If there doesn't exist a deal right now, then this becomes the defacto standard assuming it is a good deal now. I mean, the single line comment by itself could be taken as trolling as well. I didn't view it that way, but I'd dig a bit more before making a comment like that without providing any comparables. To me, it's synonymous with making a claim and then asking someone else to fact check it. The onus should be on the one making the claim to support it. At any rate, we all know how bad it is to misinterpret written words, especially on social media, so I don't mean to offend at all. Apologize if it comes out like I am.

Happy new year everyone.